Outboard car load.

The Bar...
Chat about anything here (within reason) Please keep it polite and PC
User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Outboard car load.

Post by ChrisParish » 22 Aug 2020, 08:19

Yep. It would work just fine. However, I should warn you that that motor toter is very wide. I found that I couldn’t get it and the boat in the car.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Outboard car load.

Post by harrison » 22 Aug 2020, 08:20

Potentially would be ideal for a 15 hp Merc, just depends how big your vehicle is.

These things are huge at 74cm wide, and god knows how high with the motor on. Don’t think we’d even get it in our large estate car height wise.

Great if you’ve an MPV or a van.

Edit; Beaten by keyboard wizard @ChrisParish yet again. :D
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

Scar Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 22 Jul 2020, 10:41
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Yeovil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Outboard car load.

Post by Scar » 23 Aug 2020, 15:01

I have a Van for my usual use of the boat however, I will be using the Wifes BMW X5 for our upcoming holiday as need to tow our Caravan but, would love to take the boat as well.

Bigplumbs
Veteran Member
Posts: 467
Joined: 02 Sep 2017, 06:10
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Suffolk UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Outboard car load.

Post by Bigplumbs » 25 Aug 2020, 05:53

The sad truth is that 15hp and above are just too heavy for most people to manhandle. Many will say they can but it is very difficult and people often end up hurting their back. The real answer is to buy a second hand 10-15 hp 2 stroke which are a lot lighter.

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Outboard car load.

Post by ChrisParish » 25 Aug 2020, 06:44

It is true that the larger four strokes are very heavy. There is a back to carrying them, but as @Bigplumbs said; people often end up hurting their backs.
My brother, who is younger and fitter than I am, cannot lift my Suzuki 20hp; let along lay it down safely in the back of the car.
It’s a shame that the technology behind the Evinrude ETEC line of 2 strokes was never deployed in small engines. There has to be a market for a truly lightweight 20hp engine.

I have a Johnson 9.9 from 1984 and that is really easy to lift. I’m not sure what it weighs, but even my 70+ father can lift that.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

RetireewithSIB Ireland
I'm New
Posts: 6
Joined: 12 Aug 2020, 14:21
Boat Make: Maestral 18SD
Outboard: Yamaha 4AC
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Dublin
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Outboard car load.

Post by RetireewithSIB » 26 Aug 2020, 09:46


Heres a video of an outboard being loaded into a car with a 'Motor Toter'
These users thanked the author RetireewithSIB for the post:
Alistair (05 Apr 2021, 21:11)

HT3820HP Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 9
Joined: 28 Jul 2020, 15:20
Location: Surrey
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Outboard car load.

Post by HT3820HP » 29 Aug 2020, 17:26

Those things work great, just way too big to be practical. Most of us need to carry a SIB as well as an outboard in their car.

HT3820HP Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 9
Joined: 28 Jul 2020, 15:20
Location: Surrey
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Outboard car load.

Post by HT3820HP » 29 Aug 2020, 17:30

harrison wrote: ↑
19 Aug 2020, 12:46
Lifting and sliding our Mariner 20 in and out of the car proved to be pain, so bodged together a dolly. Worked well, rolls easily on castors and kept powerhead suitably elevated with motor laying on correct side. Fixed castors on one end only so once in doesn’t slide around.



11508D97-C608-44BD-A5B2-1C3FAD5EB39F.jpeg
This looks superb! What a great idea. I may have to make myself one.

Oldman England
Advanced Member
Posts: 248
Joined: 12 Jun 2020, 10:41
Boat Make: Elling KB350 SIB
Outboard: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Location: North Kent
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Outboard car load.

Post by Oldman » 29 Aug 2020, 18:41

This is my converted sack barrow, the top wheels mean it drops over the ledge into my tailgate area and rolls back until its all inside.
side sack.jpg

HT3820HP Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 9
Joined: 28 Jul 2020, 15:20
Location: Surrey
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Outboard car load.

Post by HT3820HP » 30 Aug 2020, 10:15

Some good engineering there Oldman, looks more compact.

Post Reply

Return to “Inflatable Boat Help, Advice, Discussions and General Boating Banter”