Know anything about True Kit boats?

A sib is a soft floor inflatable boat that will roll up and fit into a bag to ease with carrying or storage.
There are many different floor designs, exampoles include - Air floor mat, Wooden/Metal boards over an Inflatable Keel or a High Pressure V Floor.
chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2348
Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806
Location: Braunston
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by chris moody » 14 Mar 2019, 17:03

I’d love to try a TrueKit and Takacat together, a proper group boat test.

I think these mini zapcat type inflatable sibs have loads of advantages. Great for exploring shallow waters, much greater usable deck space, easy to get back aboard via the open bow, high stability, work with lower hp outboards, etc.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by ChrisParish » 14 Mar 2019, 21:08

I agree - the design makes them really good for exploring. I wouldn’t mind one for messing about in the water and snorkelling etc.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by Martin » 14 Mar 2019, 21:51

chris moody wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2019, 17:03
I think these mini zapcat type inflatable sibs have loads of advantages. Great for exploring shallow waters, much greater usable deck space, easy to get back aboard via the open bow, high stability, work with lower hp outboards, etc.
I wonder how they'd compare speed wise to a frib with a comparable outboard.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

MauiBen United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
MMSI Number: 10
Location: San Francisco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by MauiBen » 15 Mar 2019, 02:29

I bought this boat for spearfishing, so the open bow was a big selling point to me. I hardly got past 1/4 throttle, so I can't really comment on the handling yet. I also don't have any other inflatable experience, so I'll have nothing to compare it to. I'll certainly report more when I get it out again.

I didn't notice that crease in the photo until now. It's probably just a little under inflated. I'll keep an eye out for that next time.

There are no dealers in the USA, so I had it shipped directly from NZ. It came relatively quickly via DHL air, and shipping to California wasn't outrageous.

chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2348
Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806
Location: Braunston
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by chris moody » 15 Mar 2019, 08:25

I think we need to do a test. If we can get a f-rib 360 and my Takacat in the same place we can test them together with the same outboard. Measure top speed and acceleration with 1, 2, 3, and 4 persons aboard.

Martin wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2019, 21:51
chris moody wrote: ↑
14 Mar 2019, 17:03
I think these mini zapcat type inflatable sibs have loads of advantages. Great for exploring shallow waters, much greater usable deck space, easy to get back aboard via the open bow, high stability, work with lower hp outboards, etc.
I wonder how they'd compare speed wise to a frib with a comparable outboard.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2348
Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806
Location: Braunston
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by chris moody » 15 Mar 2019, 09:24

It does appear to be very under inflated in those pictures @MauiBen. I think you will find it handles much better when inflated up to the correct pressure. On the Takacat if I remember correctly the tubes are 3psi and the floor 10 psi, not sure what the TrueKit pressures are.

MauiBen wrote: ↑
15 Mar 2019, 02:29
I bought this boat for spearfishing, so the open bow was a big selling point to me. I hardly got past 1/4 throttle, so I can't really comment on the handling yet. I also don't have any other inflatable experience, so I'll have nothing to compare it to. I'll certainly report more when I get it out again.

I didn't notice that crease in the photo until now. It's probably just a little under inflated. I'll keep an eye out for that next time.

There are no dealers in the USA, so I had it shipped directly from NZ. It came relatively quickly via DHL air, and shipping to California wasn't outrageous.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

MauiBen United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
MMSI Number: 10
Location: San Francisco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by MauiBen » 29 Apr 2019, 21:48

I've taken the boat out a handful of times now. I'm digging it so far, although some optimization is necessary for heavier loads. It can do 14.5 knots with just me in it, which is loads of fun. It turns like it's on rails. Unfortunately, the speed goes down to only 5.5 kts with two people and spearfishing gear. The boat doesn't get up "on step" with that much weight in it. The WOT RPM is around 4800, and the manual says the normal WOT range is 4500-5500. I guess I need a prop with less pitch? My Yamaha F6 came with a 7.25" x 3.25" - BA three bladed prop. Searching the Internet, I don't see many props with pitches that low or lower. Can anyone offer some advice on prop selection?

chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2348
Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806
Location: Braunston
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by chris moody » 30 Apr 2019, 06:32

Are the revs 4800 when out with one person or two?
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

MauiBen United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
MMSI Number: 10
Location: San Francisco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by MauiBen » 30 Apr 2019, 13:30

4800 rpm with two people.

The prop pitch can't be 3.25, can it? That's what the stamp clearly says, but props just don't come in pitches that low.

User avatar
Froglet Great Britain
Advanced Member
Posts: 269
Joined: 15 Apr 2018, 13:32
Boat Make: Honwave T38 ie1
Outboard: Mariner 25hp 2s, Yamaha 6hp 4s
MMSI Number: 235918142
Location: South Bucks
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by Froglet » 30 Apr 2019, 15:27

Could be a badly stamped 8.25 pitch and only half the eight is showing. That seems to be a genuine spec. I'm no prop expert, but I'm slightly surprised to see a pitch bigger than diameter, but there it is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Genui ... 3515515345

Post Reply

Return to “SIB - Soft Inflatable Boat”