Know anything about True Kit boats?
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
I’d love to try a TrueKit and Takacat together, a proper group boat test.
I think these mini zapcat type inflatable sibs have loads of advantages. Great for exploring shallow waters, much greater usable deck space, easy to get back aboard via the open bow, high stability, work with lower hp outboards, etc.
I think these mini zapcat type inflatable sibs have loads of advantages. Great for exploring shallow waters, much greater usable deck space, easy to get back aboard via the open bow, high stability, work with lower hp outboards, etc.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
I agree - the design makes them really good for exploring. I wouldn’t mind one for messing about in the water and snorkelling etc.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
I wonder how they'd compare speed wise to a frib with a comparable outboard.chris moody wrote: ↑14 Mar 2019, 17:03I think these mini zapcat type inflatable sibs have loads of advantages. Great for exploring shallow waters, much greater usable deck space, easy to get back aboard via the open bow, high stability, work with lower hp outboards, etc.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
MauiBen
- I'm New
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: San Francisco
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
I bought this boat for spearfishing, so the open bow was a big selling point to me. I hardly got past 1/4 throttle, so I can't really comment on the handling yet. I also don't have any other inflatable experience, so I'll have nothing to compare it to. I'll certainly report more when I get it out again.
I didn't notice that crease in the photo until now. It's probably just a little under inflated. I'll keep an eye out for that next time.
There are no dealers in the USA, so I had it shipped directly from NZ. It came relatively quickly via DHL air, and shipping to California wasn't outrageous.
I didn't notice that crease in the photo until now. It's probably just a little under inflated. I'll keep an eye out for that next time.
There are no dealers in the USA, so I had it shipped directly from NZ. It came relatively quickly via DHL air, and shipping to California wasn't outrageous.
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
I think we need to do a test. If we can get a f-rib 360 and my Takacat in the same place we can test them together with the same outboard. Measure top speed and acceleration with 1, 2, 3, and 4 persons aboard.
Martin wrote: ↑14 Mar 2019, 21:51I wonder how they'd compare speed wise to a frib with a comparable outboard.chris moody wrote: ↑14 Mar 2019, 17:03I think these mini zapcat type inflatable sibs have loads of advantages. Great for exploring shallow waters, much greater usable deck space, easy to get back aboard via the open bow, high stability, work with lower hp outboards, etc.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
It does appear to be very under inflated in those pictures @MauiBen. I think you will find it handles much better when inflated up to the correct pressure. On the Takacat if I remember correctly the tubes are 3psi and the floor 10 psi, not sure what the TrueKit pressures are.
MauiBen wrote: ↑15 Mar 2019, 02:29I bought this boat for spearfishing, so the open bow was a big selling point to me. I hardly got past 1/4 throttle, so I can't really comment on the handling yet. I also don't have any other inflatable experience, so I'll have nothing to compare it to. I'll certainly report more when I get it out again.
I didn't notice that crease in the photo until now. It's probably just a little under inflated. I'll keep an eye out for that next time.
There are no dealers in the USA, so I had it shipped directly from NZ. It came relatively quickly via DHL air, and shipping to California wasn't outrageous.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
-
MauiBen
- I'm New
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: San Francisco
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
I've taken the boat out a handful of times now. I'm digging it so far, although some optimization is necessary for heavier loads. It can do 14.5 knots with just me in it, which is loads of fun. It turns like it's on rails. Unfortunately, the speed goes down to only 5.5 kts with two people and spearfishing gear. The boat doesn't get up "on step" with that much weight in it. The WOT RPM is around 4800, and the manual says the normal WOT range is 4500-5500. I guess I need a prop with less pitch? My Yamaha F6 came with a 7.25" x 3.25" - BA three bladed prop. Searching the Internet, I don't see many props with pitches that low or lower. Can anyone offer some advice on prop selection?
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
Are the revs 4800 when out with one person or two?
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
-
MauiBen
- I'm New
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: San Francisco
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
4800 rpm with two people.
The prop pitch can't be 3.25, can it? That's what the stamp clearly says, but props just don't come in pitches that low.
The prop pitch can't be 3.25, can it? That's what the stamp clearly says, but props just don't come in pitches that low.
-
Froglet
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 269
- Joined: 15 Apr 2018, 13:32
- Boat Make: Honwave T38 ie1
- Outboard: Mariner 25hp 2s, Yamaha 6hp 4s
- MMSI Number: 235918142
- Location: South Bucks
- Has thanked: 42 times
- Been thanked: 91 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
Could be a badly stamped 8.25 pitch and only half the eight is showing. That seems to be a genuine spec. I'm no prop expert, but I'm slightly surprised to see a pitch bigger than diameter, but there it is:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Genui ... 3515515345
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Genui ... 3515515345



