Know anything about True Kit boats?
-
MauiBen
- I'm New
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: San Francisco
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Know anything about True Kit boats?
They seem like a newer manufacturer. Looks like high quality stuff. They use Valmex and the seams are welded. Haven't found any owner reports online yet.
https://truekit.nz/collections/home-page-collection
https://truekit.nz/collections/home-page-collection
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
Hi Ben,
Not seen these before, so apologies, cant offer any useful advice, sorry.
However, reading the tech specs my initial thoughts look good. Should ride and handle just like the Takacats as uncannily similar. Like yourself having welded seams would consider as a plus point. Also like the large diameter tubes (50cm) on the 330 and five air compartments...two per tube plus floor. Not clear on the Takacat site but looks as if each tube has only one compartment...perhaps not, as doesn't seem very sensible.
Not seen these before, so apologies, cant offer any useful advice, sorry.
However, reading the tech specs my initial thoughts look good. Should ride and handle just like the Takacats as uncannily similar. Like yourself having welded seams would consider as a plus point. Also like the large diameter tubes (50cm) on the 330 and five air compartments...two per tube plus floor. Not clear on the Takacat site but looks as if each tube has only one compartment...perhaps not, as doesn't seem very sensible.
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
-
MauiBen
- I'm New
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: San Francisco
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a Discovery 330. My first impressions of the boat quality are good. I put a 6hp Yahama on it. Took it out for a short jaunt today. It was blowing 15 mph and was pretty choppy, so I kept it short and didn't open it up. Will try again this weekend.
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
That’s a good looking boat, MauiBen. How did it handle?
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
That does look fantastic. I have the Takacat version.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
Hi BEN
I do like the look of these tak style boats, looking real good buddy.
It’ll be very interesting to hear your views of it once you’ve settled down in it.
I couldn’t help but notice the crease in the starboard tube, it looks like it may be a little short on pressure ?
Enjoy your purchase and thanks for sharing
Martin
I do like the look of these tak style boats, looking real good buddy.
It’ll be very interesting to hear your views of it once you’ve settled down in it.
I couldn’t help but notice the crease in the starboard tube, it looks like it may be a little short on pressure ?
Enjoy your purchase and thanks for sharing

Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
Looks great Ben, loving the colour scheme.
Enjoy your new boat.
Enjoy your new boat.
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
@harrison I can confirm that the Takacat is three air compartments in total, two tubes and a floor. I must admit six air compartments would be safer in my opinion (two in each tube and two in the air floor).
harrison wrote: ↑19 Feb 2019, 14:31Hi Ben,
Not seen these before, so apologies, cant offer any useful advice, sorry.
However, reading the tech specs my initial thoughts look good. Should ride and handle just like the Takacats as uncannily similar. Like yourself having welded seams would consider as a plus point. Also like the large diameter tubes (50cm) on the 330 and five air compartments...two per tube plus floor. Not clear on the Takacat site but looks as if each tube has only one compartment...perhaps not, as doesn't seem very sensible.
- These users thanked the author chris moody for the post:
- harrison (14 Mar 2019, 08:35)
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
-
PeterM
- Super Poster
- Posts: 841
- Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 14:53
- Location: Bournemouth & Poole
- Has thanked: 70 times
- Been thanked: 254 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
Good looking bit of kit . I don't think we can get these in the UK yet ( if ever
) but a good example of SIB development from the 'usual' . I think this style will become more and more common due to the advantages they give over the standard SIBS - but they wont suit everyone for everything ...
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
I’m liking it lots, multi chambers on the 50cm tubes & floor, welded joints and a transom — it’s looking pretty nifty to me.
If I didn’t have the Frib I think I’d now be looking at one of those...
I’ll bet your well happy !
If I didn’t have the Frib I think I’d now be looking at one of those...
I’ll bet your well happy !
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there



