Know anything about True Kit boats?

A sib is a soft floor inflatable boat that will roll up and fit into a bag to ease with carrying or storage.
There are many different floor designs, exampoles include - Air floor mat, Wooden/Metal boards over an Inflatable Keel or a High Pressure V Floor.
MauiBen United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
MMSI Number: 10
Location: San Francisco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by MauiBen » 19 Feb 2019, 05:07

They seem like a newer manufacturer. Looks like high quality stuff. They use Valmex and the seams are welded. Haven't found any owner reports online yet.

https://truekit.nz/collections/home-page-collection

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by harrison » 19 Feb 2019, 14:31

Hi Ben,

Not seen these before, so apologies, cant offer any useful advice, sorry.

However, reading the tech specs my initial thoughts look good. Should ride and handle just like the Takacats as uncannily similar. Like yourself having welded seams would consider as a plus point. Also like the large diameter tubes (50cm) on the 330 and five air compartments...two per tube plus floor. Not clear on the Takacat site but looks as if each tube has only one compartment...perhaps not, as doesn't seem very sensible.
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

MauiBen United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
MMSI Number: 10
Location: San Francisco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by MauiBen » 14 Mar 2019, 02:09

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a Discovery 330. My first impressions of the boat quality are good. I put a 6hp Yahama on it. Took it out for a short jaunt today. It was blowing 15 mph and was pretty choppy, so I kept it short and didn't open it up. Will try again this weekend.
Attachments
20190313_103709.jpg
20190313_103728.jpg
20190313_105238.jpg

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by ChrisParish » 14 Mar 2019, 06:07

That’s a good looking boat, MauiBen. How did it handle?
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2348
Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806
Location: Braunston
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by chris moody » 14 Mar 2019, 07:33

That does look fantastic. I have the Takacat version.
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by Martin » 14 Mar 2019, 07:55

Hi BEN :wavey
I do like the look of these tak style boats, looking real good buddy.
It’ll be very interesting to hear your views of it once you’ve settled down in it.
I couldn’t help but notice the crease in the starboard tube, it looks like it may be a little short on pressure ?

Enjoy your purchase and thanks for sharing 👏

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by harrison » 14 Mar 2019, 08:11

Looks great Ben, loving the colour scheme.

Enjoy your new boat. :thumbsup
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

chris moody Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2348
Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
MMSI Number: 235900806
Location: Braunston
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 443 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by chris moody » 14 Mar 2019, 08:32

@harrison I can confirm that the Takacat is three air compartments in total, two tubes and a floor. I must admit six air compartments would be safer in my opinion (two in each tube and two in the air floor).
harrison wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2019, 14:31
Hi Ben,

Not seen these before, so apologies, cant offer any useful advice, sorry.

However, reading the tech specs my initial thoughts look good. Should ride and handle just like the Takacats as uncannily similar. Like yourself having welded seams would consider as a plus point. Also like the large diameter tubes (50cm) on the 330 and five air compartments...two per tube plus floor. Not clear on the Takacat site but looks as if each tube has only one compartment...perhaps not, as doesn't seem very sensible.
These users thanked the author chris moody for the post:
harrison (14 Mar 2019, 08:35)
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8

PeterM
Super Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 14:53
Location: Bournemouth & Poole
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by PeterM » 14 Mar 2019, 11:08

Good looking bit of kit . I don't think we can get these in the UK yet ( if ever :( ) but a good example of SIB development from the 'usual' . I think this style will become more and more common due to the advantages they give over the standard SIBS - but they wont suit everyone for everything ...

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by Martin » 14 Mar 2019, 12:04

I’m liking it lots, multi chambers on the 50cm tubes & floor, welded joints and a transom — it’s looking pretty nifty to me.
If I didn’t have the Frib I think I’d now be looking at one of those...

I’ll bet your well happy !
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “SIB - Soft Inflatable Boat”