Launch wheels advice

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
User avatar
Cliff England
Veteran Member
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Dec 2017, 11:47
Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp efi
Demon 5.2hp 2 smoke
Location: Sunny Wigan
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Launch wheels advice

Post by Cliff » 21 Jan 2018, 02:16

:help The time will soon be here for me to fit some of these to my rib. (picking it up soon) It's a job I only want to do once and I want to do it right, I've seen a couple of threads on here, which are a few years old. So from your own experiences and from an up to date perspective, can you recommend the best wheels for different types of launch?...slipway, beach sand/shingle. Is it better to have the wheels long so that the outboard doesn't hit in the down position, and what size wheels are best? I've seen a few variations around the £100 mark. I'm open to suggestions and I know I can rely on you old salts to guide me in the right direction :IANW :TY

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Launch wheels advice

Post by kaman » 21 Jan 2018, 08:53

Not within the 100 quid budget but I'd be putting beach master launch wheels on it! :drive

User avatar
Cliff England
Veteran Member
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Dec 2017, 11:47
Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp efi
Demon 5.2hp 2 smoke
Location: Sunny Wigan
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Launch wheels advice

Post by Cliff » 21 Jan 2018, 12:39

kaman wrote:Not within the 100 quid budget but I'd be putting beach master launch wheels on it! :drive
:stop I didn't say I had set a budget, just asking for advice, regarding type, is this the type you mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rezFFVvlUu4
At this point in time i'd like to learn from other peoples experience before I start drilling holes in a new boat :cheers

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Launch wheels advice

Post by kaman » 21 Jan 2018, 13:48

Yup. That's the ones.
These users thanked the author kaman for the post:
Cliff (21 Jan 2018, 13:51)

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Launch wheels advice

Post by Paul B » 21 Jan 2018, 14:28

That’s one item you don’t scrimp on, not worth the hassle of fitting a cheap set, then they fail and you have to spend more money on a decent set of wheels :thumbsup

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Launch wheels advice

Post by Paul » 21 Jan 2018, 23:09

As posted before BeachMaster launch wheels http://www.angleseymarinesupplies.com/d ... olleys.php seem to still be doing them for £150 :|
I've had two sets of launch wheels and a dolly from them in the past without issue :D ....... BUT at that price I'd still make contact and confirm ;-)
Those with the Honwave launch wheels problem maybe interested in the 100kg+ ones available :idea:
:cheers

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Launch wheels advice

Post by Paul » 21 Jan 2018, 23:38

Forgot to add :roll:
The BeechMaster above may not be the removable variety and not give you the height to clear your OB skeg whilst returning to a landing if that's what you require :idea:
If that's the case then maybe these from the same suppliers may be an option
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 23.20.42.png
launch wheels
The longer leg with the bracket mounted low on the transom to give you the required OB clearance :idea:
I've had these wheels for 3 years with many outings in the brine and the roller bearings have now failed despite cleaning/greaseing :(
That said it was easy and cheap to replace the bearings with nylon replacement bushes that still work well :thumbsup
Overall to deploy them in the up/down position is very easy IMO
I think Martin and a few others have them :?: so maybe they'll chime in their thoughts :|
:cheers
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
Cliff (22 Jan 2018, 18:00)

User avatar
Cliff England
Veteran Member
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Dec 2017, 11:47
Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp efi
Demon 5.2hp 2 smoke
Location: Sunny Wigan
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Launch wheels advice

Post by Cliff » 22 Jan 2018, 18:05

:Hats Thanks for your input Paul, With that in mind I think it will be sensible to wait until I've got the rib and engine fitted to see the ground clearance. I really like the beachmaster wheels after viewing their website and videos online, in particular the removable wheel option, which is a neat solution, also the wheels are a bit chunkier. They seem to sell direct all over the world, adding on a lump for air freight. I could be wrong, but I think that the ones sold by anglesey marine might not be genuine beachmaster. (I've seen some advertised online which say "beachmaster type" The ad says they are stainless, while the beachmaster site says marine grade aluminium, I'm not sure if that is just the wheels though. More research needed. if anyone has beachmaster wheels, please let me know if there is a uk supplier and if they are stainless frames. :thumbsup

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Launch wheels advice

Post by Paul » 22 Jan 2018, 22:29

Cliff
As you'll be trailer launching mostly another alternative to launch wheels are 'sausages' ie boat rollers https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-inflat ... g%20roller& :idea:
These are inflatable rollers that are very compact, easy to stow, quick to inflate and use over most terrains.
Donny (The Gurnard) swears by them when using his heavy setup (quicksilver 4.3 M and 25HP plus gear)
Just another alternative to ponder mate .....it's all down to your personal 'needs'
:cheers

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Launch wheels advice

Post by Martin » 23 Jan 2018, 00:18

Hi cliff, I do have the wheels the same as Paul’s.
I bought mine from a place up in Workington. Having fitted the shorter ones as Paul has, I found them to be a little too short on my Frib to allow me to leave the outboard fully down, first notch up the skeg clears the ground - not really as I wanted it.... I then bought the longer versions, they gave me the clearance but the axle stub scuffed onto the outboard top casing on full lock.
I set about with the grinder and cleaned up the poor welds on the longer set (small set was very neat) only to find the wheel stub fell out of the mounting hole.
I’ll get them re-welded at some point and then refit them.

I strongly agree with your last comment, get the boat and outboard, sit the transom on something to lift the Skeg off the ground and take a measurement. I’ll be surprised though If the beach masters give you full clearance you want.

Do keep us posted please. The launch wheel topic is always worth keeping up to date as many ask the questions.

Martin :thumbsup
These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
Cliff (23 Jan 2018, 11:33)
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”