Launch wheels advice
-
Cliff
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 321
- Joined: 31 Dec 2017, 11:47
- Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp efi
Demon 5.2hp 2 smoke - Location: Sunny Wigan
- Has thanked: 95 times
- Been thanked: 66 times
Launch wheels advice
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
Re: Launch wheels advice
Not within the 100 quid budget but I'd be putting beach master launch wheels on it! 
-
Cliff
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 321
- Joined: 31 Dec 2017, 11:47
- Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp efi
Demon 5.2hp 2 smoke - Location: Sunny Wigan
- Has thanked: 95 times
- Been thanked: 66 times
Re: Launch wheels advice
kaman wrote:Not within the 100 quid budget but I'd be putting beach master launch wheels on it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rezFFVvlUu4
At this point in time i'd like to learn from other peoples experience before I start drilling holes in a new boat
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
-
Paul B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2065
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
- Location: UK
- Has thanked: 172 times
- Been thanked: 276 times
Re: Launch wheels advice
That’s one item you don’t scrimp on, not worth the hassle of fitting a cheap set, then they fail and you have to spend more money on a decent set of wheels 
- Paul
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 3056
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
- Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
- Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
- MMSI Number: 235915479
- Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
- Has thanked: 459 times
- Been thanked: 356 times
Re: Launch wheels advice
As posted before BeachMaster launch wheels http://www.angleseymarinesupplies.com/d ... olleys.php seem to still be doing them for £150
I've had two sets of launch wheels and a dolly from them in the past without issue
....... BUT at that price I'd still make contact and confirm
Those with the Honwave launch wheels problem maybe interested in the 100kg+ ones available

I've had two sets of launch wheels and a dolly from them in the past without issue
Those with the Honwave launch wheels problem maybe interested in the 100kg+ ones available
- Paul
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 3056
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
- Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
- Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
- MMSI Number: 235915479
- Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
- Has thanked: 459 times
- Been thanked: 356 times
Re: Launch wheels advice
Forgot to add
The BeechMaster above may not be the removable variety and not give you the height to clear your OB skeg whilst returning to a landing if that's what you require
If that's the case then maybe these from the same suppliers may be an option
The longer leg with the bracket mounted low on the transom to give you the required OB clearance
I've had these wheels for 3 years with many outings in the brine and the roller bearings have now failed despite cleaning/greaseing
That said it was easy and cheap to replace the bearings with nylon replacement bushes that still work well
Overall to deploy them in the up/down position is very easy IMO
I think Martin and a few others have them
so maybe they'll chime in their thoughts

The BeechMaster above may not be the removable variety and not give you the height to clear your OB skeg whilst returning to a landing if that's what you require
If that's the case then maybe these from the same suppliers may be an option
The longer leg with the bracket mounted low on the transom to give you the required OB clearance
I've had these wheels for 3 years with many outings in the brine and the roller bearings have now failed despite cleaning/greaseing
That said it was easy and cheap to replace the bearings with nylon replacement bushes that still work well
Overall to deploy them in the up/down position is very easy IMO
I think Martin and a few others have them
-
Cliff
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 321
- Joined: 31 Dec 2017, 11:47
- Boat Make: Highfield CL310 Rib
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp efi
Demon 5.2hp 2 smoke - Location: Sunny Wigan
- Has thanked: 95 times
- Been thanked: 66 times
Re: Launch wheels advice
- Paul
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 3056
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
- Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
- Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
- MMSI Number: 235915479
- Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
- Has thanked: 459 times
- Been thanked: 356 times
Re: Launch wheels advice
Cliff
As you'll be trailer launching mostly another alternative to launch wheels are 'sausages' ie boat rollers https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-inflat ... g%20roller&
These are inflatable rollers that are very compact, easy to stow, quick to inflate and use over most terrains.
Donny (The Gurnard) swears by them when using his heavy setup (quicksilver 4.3 M and 25HP plus gear)
Just another alternative to ponder mate .....it's all down to your personal 'needs'

As you'll be trailer launching mostly another alternative to launch wheels are 'sausages' ie boat rollers https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-inflat ... g%20roller&
These are inflatable rollers that are very compact, easy to stow, quick to inflate and use over most terrains.
Donny (The Gurnard) swears by them when using his heavy setup (quicksilver 4.3 M and 25HP plus gear)
Just another alternative to ponder mate .....it's all down to your personal 'needs'
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Launch wheels advice
Hi cliff, I do have the wheels the same as Paul’s.
I bought mine from a place up in Workington. Having fitted the shorter ones as Paul has, I found them to be a little too short on my Frib to allow me to leave the outboard fully down, first notch up the skeg clears the ground - not really as I wanted it.... I then bought the longer versions, they gave me the clearance but the axle stub scuffed onto the outboard top casing on full lock.
I set about with the grinder and cleaned up the poor welds on the longer set (small set was very neat) only to find the wheel stub fell out of the mounting hole.
I’ll get them re-welded at some point and then refit them.
I strongly agree with your last comment, get the boat and outboard, sit the transom on something to lift the Skeg off the ground and take a measurement. I’ll be surprised though If the beach masters give you full clearance you want.
Do keep us posted please. The launch wheel topic is always worth keeping up to date as many ask the questions.
Martin
I bought mine from a place up in Workington. Having fitted the shorter ones as Paul has, I found them to be a little too short on my Frib to allow me to leave the outboard fully down, first notch up the skeg clears the ground - not really as I wanted it.... I then bought the longer versions, they gave me the clearance but the axle stub scuffed onto the outboard top casing on full lock.
I set about with the grinder and cleaned up the poor welds on the longer set (small set was very neat) only to find the wheel stub fell out of the mounting hole.
I’ll get them re-welded at some point and then refit them.
I strongly agree with your last comment, get the boat and outboard, sit the transom on something to lift the Skeg off the ground and take a measurement. I’ll be surprised though If the beach masters give you full clearance you want.
Do keep us posted please. The launch wheel topic is always worth keeping up to date as many ask the questions.
Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there




