Best fabric for a spray dodger?
- mattswan2512
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1758
- Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
- Boat Make: F-Rib 330
- Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
- Location: Sunny southampton
- Has thanked: 95 times
- Been thanked: 118 times
Best fabric for a spray dodger?
As in the title what have you guys used? I dont wanna use tarp i want a decent waterproof fabric. Any suggestions.
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
-
Paul B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2065
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
- Location: UK
- Has thanked: 172 times
- Been thanked: 276 times
Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?
I would say you want something on these lines Matt, I believe this is similar to what Martins made his out of and it’s what a lot of boat covers are made from
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-W ... Qz_PVfJoXQ
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-W ... Qz_PVfJoXQ
-
Jeff Stevens 763
- Active Member
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 26 Jan 2017, 21:03
- Boat Make: Mercury 365 HD xs
- Outboard: Suzuki Df 25 4 st
- Location: Retford Nottinghamshire
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 28 times
Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?
Why not buy a cheep tent it will have a 2000 MM static head and just waterproof it now and then more material than you will need easy th stitch etc
- mattswan2512
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1758
- Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
- Boat Make: F-Rib 330
- Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
- Location: Sunny southampton
- Has thanked: 95 times
- Been thanked: 118 times
Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?
Okay cool and what length tent pole have u all used? The beam of my boat is 1650mm but it wont be the full width as its towards the front so im reckoning a 2m pole perhaps?
Or get one of those sectional poles and cut to length?
Or get one of those sectional poles and cut to length?
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
-
Paul B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2065
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
- Location: UK
- Has thanked: 172 times
- Been thanked: 276 times
Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?
The dodger I have from Martin did have a 2 piece pole, but I made a new 1 piece one which keeps a nicer curve, as I found the old one didn’t keep a good curve and over time it had started to splinter at the joint
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?
Yup, bang on Paul.. Thats the material i use.
The poles i already had Matt, but you can buy 6-8mm poles on ebay.
I have a 3 section fold up pole for storage ease. Paul B has made a single pole which keeps the arch perfect but has no stow away possibilities... Its a case of make it to suit your needs.
The material is heavy weight stuff, it wont rip easy at all and has been fully waterproof to date. Best sewn with a machine, but do buy some heavy weight needles. I think i used 100/16 needles in my machine.
The poles i already had Matt, but you can buy 6-8mm poles on ebay.
I have a 3 section fold up pole for storage ease. Paul B has made a single pole which keeps the arch perfect but has no stow away possibilities... Its a case of make it to suit your needs.
The material is heavy weight stuff, it wont rip easy at all and has been fully waterproof to date. Best sewn with a machine, but do buy some heavy weight needles. I think i used 100/16 needles in my machine.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
- mattswan2512
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1758
- Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
- Boat Make: F-Rib 330
- Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
- Location: Sunny southampton
- Has thanked: 95 times
- Been thanked: 118 times
Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?
Im good on the sowing front as my aunt is a manageress of an upholsterers so i get the stuff she will do her magic.
So an 8mm 3 peice flexi pole will be aboot right then? Im gunna order 3m by 1.5m material. Does that sound about right martin?
So an 8mm 3 peice flexi pole will be aboot right then? Im gunna order 3m by 1.5m material. Does that sound about right martin?
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?
I think the material is set at 1.5m width isn't it?mattswan2512 wrote:Im good on the sowing front as my aunt is a manageress of an upholsterers so i get the stuff she will do her magic.
So an 8mm 3 peice flexi pole will be aboot right then? Im gunna order 3m by 1.5m material. Does that sound about right martin?
My cover uses the full width. Length would depend on how far back you want the dodger tbh buddy.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Paul B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2065
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
- Location: UK
- Has thanked: 172 times
- Been thanked: 276 times
Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?
You might find the 8mm poles a bit overkill Matt, difficult to bend over such a short span, mine are 6mm and bend just nicely, the 8mm might break to easily as they aren’t meant to bend such amount over a short distance
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?
Yup gotta agree with Paulb there Matt.
The thicker poles don't like bending within the the confides of a Sib's beam - they do like to split.
It's worth carrying a spare tent pole section should one snap.
I'm gonna be rattling together a tarp dodger. - for the T3.8.
As I've a Lowrance Hook 5 plotter / finder coming from Santa I'm gonna extend the dodger rearwards on the T3.8 back to the seat so as to keep the spray off of the Lowrance unit which I'll mount to the sib seat
I can certainly vouch for the quality of the fabric used in the dodger Martin made for the T3.8 it's heavy duty for sure.
As I'm a tight Scottish git I'll be using a bit of tarp for my latest dodger.
I'm going to mount the latest dodger it to the wooden bracket I screwed to the seat
The thicker poles don't like bending within the the confides of a Sib's beam - they do like to split.
It's worth carrying a spare tent pole section should one snap.
I'm gonna be rattling together a tarp dodger. - for the T3.8.
As I've a Lowrance Hook 5 plotter / finder coming from Santa I'm gonna extend the dodger rearwards on the T3.8 back to the seat so as to keep the spray off of the Lowrance unit which I'll mount to the sib seat
I can certainly vouch for the quality of the fabric used in the dodger Martin made for the T3.8 it's heavy duty for sure.
As I'm a tight Scottish git I'll be using a bit of tarp for my latest dodger.
I'm going to mount the latest dodger it to the wooden bracket I screwed to the seat



