Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Post by mattswan2512 » 11 Nov 2017, 17:16

As in the title what have you guys used? I dont wanna use tarp i want a decent waterproof fabric. Any suggestions.
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Post by Paul B » 11 Nov 2017, 17:51

I would say you want something on these lines Matt, I believe this is similar to what Martins made his out of and it’s what a lot of boat covers are made from

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-W ... Qz_PVfJoXQ

Jeff Stevens 763
Active Member
Posts: 105
Joined: 26 Jan 2017, 21:03
Boat Make: Mercury 365 HD xs
Outboard: Suzuki Df 25 4 st
Location: Retford Nottinghamshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Post by Jeff Stevens 763 » 11 Nov 2017, 18:00

Why not buy a cheep tent it will have a 2000 MM static head and just waterproof it now and then more material than you will need easy th stitch etc

User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Post by mattswan2512 » 11 Nov 2017, 19:00

Okay cool and what length tent pole have u all used? The beam of my boat is 1650mm but it wont be the full width as its towards the front so im reckoning a 2m pole perhaps?

Or get one of those sectional poles and cut to length?
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Post by Paul B » 11 Nov 2017, 19:50

The dodger I have from Martin did have a 2 piece pole, but I made a new 1 piece one which keeps a nicer curve, as I found the old one didn’t keep a good curve and over time it had started to splinter at the joint

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Post by Martin » 11 Nov 2017, 22:20

Yup, bang on Paul.. Thats the material i use.
The poles i already had Matt, but you can buy 6-8mm poles on ebay.

I have a 3 section fold up pole for storage ease. Paul B has made a single pole which keeps the arch perfect but has no stow away possibilities... Its a case of make it to suit your needs.

The material is heavy weight stuff, it wont rip easy at all and has been fully waterproof to date. Best sewn with a machine, but do buy some heavy weight needles. I think i used 100/16 needles in my machine.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Post by mattswan2512 » 11 Nov 2017, 22:42

Im good on the sowing front as my aunt is a manageress of an upholsterers so i get the stuff she will do her magic.
So an 8mm 3 peice flexi pole will be aboot right then? Im gunna order 3m by 1.5m material. Does that sound about right martin?
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Post by Martin » 11 Nov 2017, 22:55

mattswan2512 wrote:Im good on the sowing front as my aunt is a manageress of an upholsterers so i get the stuff she will do her magic.
So an 8mm 3 peice flexi pole will be aboot right then? Im gunna order 3m by 1.5m material. Does that sound about right martin?
I think the material is set at 1.5m width isn't it?
My cover uses the full width. Length would depend on how far back you want the dodger tbh buddy.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Post by Paul B » 11 Nov 2017, 23:32

You might find the 8mm poles a bit overkill Matt, difficult to bend over such a short span, mine are 6mm and bend just nicely, the 8mm might break to easily as they aren’t meant to bend such amount over a short distance

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Best fabric for a spray dodger?

Post by kaman » 12 Nov 2017, 00:08

Yup gotta agree with Paulb there Matt.
The thicker poles don't like bending within the the confides of a Sib's beam - they do like to split.
It's worth carrying a spare tent pole section should one snap. ;-)
I'm gonna be rattling together a tarp dodger. - for the T3.8.
As I've a Lowrance Hook 5 plotter / finder coming from Santa I'm gonna extend the dodger rearwards on the T3.8 back to the seat so as to keep the spray off of the Lowrance unit which I'll mount to the sib seat
I can certainly vouch for the quality of the fabric used in the dodger Martin made for the T3.8 it's heavy duty for sure.
As I'm a tight Scottish git I'll be using a bit of tarp for my latest dodger.
I'm going to mount the latest dodger it to the wooden bracket I screwed to the seat :drive
20170919_132949.jpg

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”