My First Tinker...
-
Pete
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
- Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
- Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
- Location: Manchester
- Has thanked: 36 times
- Been thanked: 38 times
My First Tinker...
Having seen the prices of drop nose bolts I thought I'd see if I could knock something else up for the transom wheels. I had some new self locking nuts for the existing bolts which I'll carry just in case! I cut the thread off two large bolts, popped the ends on a belt sander to get rid of the nasty sharp edges and then drilled holes in the end. I'll pop down to the local hardware shop tomorrow and see if they have some nice removable pins, if not I might try a stainless steel split ring. Should have some of them in my tackle box...Hopefully they'll work, I think they're a little long but I cam always cut them down after I've tried them out this Saturday.
Last edited by Pete on 25 Apr 2017, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: My First Tinker...
A great cheap little mod Pete, I'm just a little worried that your new bolt mod will be manufactured from steel which will corrode in no time.. or have you thought of this and made them using stainless steel bolts ?
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Pete
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
- Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
- Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
- Location: Manchester
- Has thanked: 36 times
- Been thanked: 38 times
Re: My First Tinker...
You're right Martin, they might not last too long. But the drop nose pins seem to be around £32.00 a pair which at the moment is a little steep with all the gear I need to buy. I have a couple of things coming tomorrow, spare kill cord/spark plug. I'll get the essentials out of the way and then upgrade as I go along 
- Paul
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 3056
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
- Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
- Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
- MMSI Number: 235915479
- Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
- Has thanked: 459 times
- Been thanked: 356 times
Re: My First Tinker...
OuchPete wrote: drop nose pins seem to be around £32.00 a pair which at the moment is a little steep
I picked up a pair for Martin late last year from Pacermarine and paid about £15 as I recall
You could give them a call on 01252317100
If you have no luck I'll pick a pair up for ya and post them
- The Gurnard
- Super Poster
- Posts: 817
- Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 09:30
- Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
- Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
- Location: West Coast Scotland
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 223 times
Re: My First Tinker...
Glad to see it was only a wee tinker.. I had images of another type of tinker..which made my mind boggle as you is only just married
You will get a couple of R clips in Halfords if stuck.
Agree the iron will rust..but it wont disappear over night
Keep them a wee bit greased and rise off plus dry storage and they will last a season or two..no problem.
My iron fillings lasted quite a few years ..and they were often immersed in corrosive Guinness. Plastic ones eventually replaced the rot though.
You will get a couple of R clips in Halfords if stuck.
Agree the iron will rust..but it wont disappear over night
My iron fillings lasted quite a few years ..and they were often immersed in corrosive Guinness. Plastic ones eventually replaced the rot though.
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: My First Tinker...
I have some stainless bolts that are long enough to do your mod on Pete.. I'll bring them up on Saturday 
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
- mattswan2512
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1758
- Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
- Boat Make: F-Rib 330
- Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
- Location: Sunny southampton
- Has thanked: 95 times
- Been thanked: 118 times
Re: My First Tinker...
Coat them in vaseline pete that will help
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
-
Pete
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
- Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
- Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
- Location: Manchester
- Has thanked: 36 times
- Been thanked: 38 times
Re: My First Tinker...
That's very handy to know Paul, thank youPaul wrote:OuchPete wrote: drop nose pins seem to be around £32.00 a pair which at the moment is a little steep![]()
![]()
I picked up a pair for Martin late last year from Pacermarine and paid about £15 as I recall..... is that about right Martin
![]()
You could give them a call on 01252317100........ the size we've got is 8mm diameter approx 80mm long.
If you have no luck I'll pick a pair up for ya and post them![]()
Sounds good MartinMartin wrote:I have some stainless bolts that are long enough to do your mod on Pete.. I'll bring them up on Saturday
Yes, you can't beet Vaseline Matt, always used to rub my rod down with Vaseline after a trip. I used to bath it first thoughmattswan2512 wrote:Coat them in vaseline pete that will help
R Clips in place Donny, 25 and 30 pence from local hardware shop, so splashed out and bought two of each. Just in case!The Gurnard wrote:Glad to see it was only a wee tinker.. I had images of another type of tinker..which made my mind boggle as you is only just married![]()
![]()
You will get a couple of R clips in Halfords if stuck.
Agree the iron will rust..but it wont disappear over nightKeep them a wee bit greased and rise off plus dry storage and they will last a season or two..no problem.
My iron fillings lasted quite a few years ..and they were often immersed in corrosive Guinness. Plastic ones eventually replaced the rot though.




