My First Tinker...

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
User avatar
Pete England
Veteran Member
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 38 times

My First Tinker...

Post by Pete » 25 Apr 2017, 12:59

Having seen the prices of drop nose bolts I thought I'd see if I could knock something else up for the transom wheels. I had some new self locking nuts for the existing bolts which I'll carry just in case! I cut the thread off two large bolts, popped the ends on a belt sander to get rid of the nasty sharp edges and then drilled holes in the end. I'll pop down to the local hardware shop tomorrow and see if they have some nice removable pins, if not I might try a stainless steel split ring. Should have some of them in my tackle box...Hopefully they'll work, I think they're a little long but I cam always cut them down after I've tried them out this Saturday.
Attachments
Transom Wheel Bolts.jpg
Last edited by Pete on 25 Apr 2017, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: My First Tinker...

Post by Martin » 25 Apr 2017, 18:43

A great cheap little mod Pete, I'm just a little worried that your new bolt mod will be manufactured from steel which will corrode in no time.. or have you thought of this and made them using stainless steel bolts ?
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
Pete England
Veteran Member
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: My First Tinker...

Post by Pete » 25 Apr 2017, 19:15

You're right Martin, they might not last too long. But the drop nose pins seem to be around £32.00 a pair which at the moment is a little steep with all the gear I need to buy. I have a couple of things coming tomorrow, spare kill cord/spark plug. I'll get the essentials out of the way and then upgrade as I go along :D

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: My First Tinker...

Post by Paul » 25 Apr 2017, 20:51

Pete wrote: drop nose pins seem to be around £32.00 a pair which at the moment is a little steep
Ouch :!: :o
I picked up a pair for Martin late last year from Pacermarine and paid about £15 as I recall :scratch ..... is that about right Martin :?:
You could give them a call on 01252317100 :idea: ........ the size we've got is 8mm diameter approx 80mm long.
If you have no luck I'll pick a pair up for ya and post them ;-)
:cheers

User avatar
The Gurnard
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 09:30
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
Location: West Coast Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: My First Tinker...

Post by The Gurnard » 26 Apr 2017, 08:09

Glad to see it was only a wee tinker.. I had images of another type of tinker..which made my mind boggle as you is only just married :o :D

You will get a couple of R clips in Halfords if stuck.

Agree the iron will rust..but it wont disappear over night :D Keep them a wee bit greased and rise off plus dry storage and they will last a season or two..no problem.

My iron fillings lasted quite a few years ..and they were often immersed in corrosive Guinness. Plastic ones eventually replaced the rot though. :roll:

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: My First Tinker...

Post by Martin » 26 Apr 2017, 10:56

I have some stainless bolts that are long enough to do your mod on Pete.. I'll bring them up on Saturday :thumbsup
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: My First Tinker...

Post by mattswan2512 » 26 Apr 2017, 16:09

Coat them in vaseline pete that will help
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

User avatar
Pete England
Veteran Member
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: My First Tinker...

Post by Pete » 26 Apr 2017, 17:19

Paul wrote:
Pete wrote: drop nose pins seem to be around £32.00 a pair which at the moment is a little steep
Ouch :!: :o
I picked up a pair for Martin late last year from Pacermarine and paid about £15 as I recall :scratch ..... is that about right Martin :?:
You could give them a call on 01252317100 :idea: ........ the size we've got is 8mm diameter approx 80mm long.
If you have no luck I'll pick a pair up for ya and post them ;-)
:cheers
That's very handy to know Paul, thank you :D Pacemarine now saved to favourites :D

Martin wrote:I have some stainless bolts that are long enough to do your mod on Pete.. I'll bring them up on Saturday :thumbsup
Sounds good Martin :D Can you still drill stainless steel OK? Not something I've ever tried.
mattswan2512 wrote:Coat them in vaseline pete that will help
Yes, you can't beet Vaseline Matt, always used to rub my rod down with Vaseline after a trip. I used to bath it first though :D

The Gurnard wrote:Glad to see it was only a wee tinker.. I had images of another type of tinker..which made my mind boggle as you is only just married :o :D

You will get a couple of R clips in Halfords if stuck.

Agree the iron will rust..but it wont disappear over night :D Keep them a wee bit greased and rise off plus dry storage and they will last a season or two..no problem.

My iron fillings lasted quite a few years ..and they were often immersed in corrosive Guinness. Plastic ones eventually replaced the rot though. :roll:
R Clips in place Donny, 25 and 30 pence from local hardware shop, so splashed out and bought two of each. Just in case!
Attachments
Transom Wheel Bolts R Pins.jpg

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”