Soft plastic lures

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Soft plastic lures

Post by Stray » 21 Jan 2016, 10:21

Soft plastics aint cheap, most are a £1 or more a pop, and I can lose several in a session, so to try to get the price down a bit I treated myself to a late christmas present, some lure making equipment from Lurefactors.co.uk.
A couple of moulds, a bottle of plastisol and some colours to make my own.

Image

My first attempt was to make a Shad, so I needed a weighted hook, this was made by heating a 2.0 Aberdeen and putting a bend in it.

Image

Image

The copper wire was then wrapped round the hook shank to form the weight

Image

and then soldered.

Image

The hook weight making method was shamelessly pinched from "The handmade fisherman" series of videos by Paul Adams.

Some Plastisol was poured into a Pyrex jug, it looks like milk, and heated in the microwave oven. As you heat it, it starts to thicken and become opaque, when it gets to 170 degrees C it becomes pourable. The best method is to keep taking it out of the Microwave and giving it a stir.
Whilst the Plastisol was heating I set up the mould, first by lubricating it, you can buy the proper mold lubricant, but I just used cooking oil,

Image

it worked fine for me.

With the mould oiled I held the weighted hook in place with a modellers hands free clamp.

Image

When the Plastisol was hot enough I stirred in some colour and poured it in the mould

Image

and left it to set for a couple of minutes, before removing it.

Image

When it had cooled enough I carefully trimmed the excess bits off and stuck on a couple of eye with superglue.

Image

Image

Any leftover Plastisol can be peeled off the jug and saved to be reused.

Image

To be honest, I didn't think I'd get such decent results on my first attempt, next time I'm going to try for multi coloured Shads. 8-)

NB; for the safety concious of you out there, whilst dealing with the hot plastic I wore safety glasses and heat resistant gloves, I also kept my arms and torso covered. Having worked on Polyermer making plants I've seen what plastics burns can do.
These users thanked the author Stray for the post (total 2):
rogerblack (21 Jan 2016, 11:28) • Paul (21 Jan 2016, 22:01)

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Paul » 21 Jan 2016, 22:32

That was an interesting read mate and I didn't know there were kits out there to make your own :idea:
As you can tell I just get by with my poor attempts at fishing but to the experienced fishers I'd imagine it's a therapeutic process and very satisfying to catch fish with something that you've created from scatch 8-)
:cheers
Paul

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Martin » 22 Jan 2016, 09:12

This is brilliant !!
I wouldn't have the time or patience to do that, but a brilliant idea though.
I think they've turned out really well stray.
So when's the Proof in the pudding ???
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Andy B » 22 Jan 2016, 09:24

Fish, for pudding????? :roll:

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Stray » 22 Jan 2016, 16:09

So when's the Proof in the pudding ???
Around mid April, that's when the water up here usually clears of the green Algae bloom. If we don't get any late storms, I'll probably try a bit earlier. :lol:
Fish, for pudding????? :roll:
No, late summer Cod for tea.

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by kaman » 22 Jan 2016, 20:15

Interesting thread.
Thanks for posting.
But like others I couldn't be arsed to make my own at this stage of my life.
Just want to tie them on, and cast them in.
When retirement arrives I could happily spend an hour or two making lures as well as tieing some flies for trout and salmon.

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Stray » 22 Jan 2016, 22:44

When retirement arrives I could happily spend an hour or two making lures as well as tieing some flies for trout and salmon.
Yup, it helps fill the endless hours of not having to work for a living, so does sitting in a boat dangling them over the side on a line. :rofl :rofl

User avatar
The Gurnard
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 09:30
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
Location: West Coast Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by The Gurnard » 23 Jan 2016, 08:59

Im with you Stray.. in that there is nothing quite so satisfying as catching fish on lures you make yourself.

I tie my own version of feather lure loosely based on a Paul Adams U Tube video. I also make my own weights ..using wood with a hole drilled in it as the mold ..just pour in the molten lead.

As for it being time consuming ? Thats just a feeble excuse Kaman ..it takes me longer to drive to the Angling Centre than tie a day's flies and pour a few leads.. but each to their own I guess :D

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Stray » 25 Jan 2016, 14:50

Had a play about with the colours;

Image

Up here in my limited experience, the Cod like more translucent lures in the spring and solid coloured lures later on.

User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by mattswan2512 » 25 Jan 2016, 20:29

They look really good stray you should be chuffed with them!!!!!
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”