Help with F-Rib 330 Repair.

Folding Ribs or F-Ribs are a great way of obtaining a hard hull boat but having the flexibility of a sib.
F-Ribs have the 3 or 4 section articulating hinge joint that allow the boat to fold up for ease of storage & transportation. A great idea opening up a whole new world of opportunity.
Post Reply
trevor330 Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Jul 2023, 03:01
MMSI Number: 10
Location: London
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help with F-Rib 330 Repair.

Post by trevor330 » 19 Aug 2023, 12:38

I have a F-Rib 330 and have been using it for sea fishing.
Whilst putting it away I felt a slight snag and realised I've ripped a small hole below.
I've tried to repair this with the included glue but didn't have a good feeling about it and removed this. Now stuck with a load of adhesive on the bottom.. :roll: Even with acetone with is proving hard to remove.


As im going afew miles out at sea I'd don't want to take any chances. I noticed both areas could do with a patch as its the pressure point where the fold is. Does anyone have any advice on if there is anywhere I can take this in and around London to get this reinforced.

Doesn't feel like something I should be taking the risk with at sea!

Thank you,

T

Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 13.37.11.png
Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 13.37.11.png
Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 13.34.31.png

trevor330 Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Jul 2023, 03:01
MMSI Number: 10
Location: London
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help with F-Rib 330 Repair.

Post by trevor330 » 19 Aug 2023, 13:05

Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 14.05.20.png

N1ck Great Britain
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 26
Joined: 11 May 2019, 14:26
Boat Make: Avon SR4 F-Rib 330
Outboard: Yamaha 40HP 4 Stroke
Yamaha 9.9 4 Stroke
Location: Devizes
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Help with F-Rib 330 Repair.

Post by N1ck » 20 Aug 2023, 04:56

Hi Trevor, I know its not London but highly recommend Rodella Ribs in Poole for repairs, have had several repairs carried out by them and their work is first class and nice bloke to boot. Hope this helps
Started out with bugger all and still have most of it left

Denis26 Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 1
Joined: 22 Aug 2023, 05:22
MMSI Number: 10
Location: London
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help with F-Rib 330 Repair.

Post by Denis26 » 22 Aug 2023, 11:48

Hello,

I understand your concern about the damage to your F-Rib 330. It's wise to prioritize safety, especially when heading out to sea. Since you're looking for reinforcement options in and around London, consider reaching out to local boat repair shops or marine services. They should be able to assess the damage and provide you with professional advice on how to reinforce the areas with patches or appropriate repairs. This will help ensure your boat's integrity while you're out on the water.

Best regards,
My website : Sail Racing UK

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Help with F-Rib 330 Repair.

Post by rogerblack » 22 Aug 2023, 17:01

Just a wee tip for future - those supplied adhesives aren't great, to do a proper job you need to use the two-part type as appropriate for the material (my SIB isn't F-Rib so I don't know whether yours is PVC or Hypalon).

Good advice can be had here:

https://www.polymarine.com/advice/

Hope you get it sorted anyhow.
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

trevor330 Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 6
Joined: 01 Jul 2023, 03:01
MMSI Number: 10
Location: London
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help with F-Rib 330 Repair.

Post by trevor330 » 23 Aug 2023, 22:16

thanks all,

I went with this company, he did a great job.
would recommend highly. - https://www.ribfix.co.uk

Post Reply

Return to “F-Rib / Foldable Rib / Folding Boat”