Hello from a new member in NZ and advice please
-
pd2000
- I'm New
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 22 May 2022, 03:36
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Christchurch
- Has thanked: 4 times
- Been thanked: 0
Hello from a new member in NZ and advice please
Hi everyone, have been reading the forum for a while, a lot of great info that is otherwise hard to find. So thought I join, introduce myself and seek your advice.
I am located in Lyttelton Harbour, Christchurch, New Zealand. I have a few years boating experience on a variety of trailer boats ranging in size from 3.6 to 6 m. I'm a keen sea fisher so that's what I used them for. I used to do most of my boating and fishing with my wife, but now have a two year old (and now another on the way) so she doesn't come out on the boats anymore. The trailer boats were too big to use by myself so they've gone.
After having no boat for a year I'm thinking of getting something I can pack in the back of the car to hit a few near shore fishing spots I can't otherwise reach. I thought about a kayak but have had back surgery and that pretty much precludes that.
So am thinking of a sib of some sort. I've previously owed a Takacat 300LX, I enjoyed it but after a scary experience with a leaking tube (my fault) I don't want something with only two chambers and an inflatable deck. I currently have a Yamaha F6 that I've held on to an hope to use on whatever I purchase. I would buy another small Takacat if it had multiple chambers like True Kits and came in Hypalon for a reasonable price, I don't see the point of paying a premium for a glued pcv boat. I can get a 3.8 m version with 4 chambers plus air deck but would need a bigger outboard and hypalon is double the $3300 stock price so I think that rules it out for me.
I'm presently looking at True Kit Discovery's, Navigators and a few of the more regular mono-hull styles and brands (all welded valmex pvc fabric). True kits discovery's 3.3 look great and fit the bill as a solo fishing machine (plus the staff a very helpful) but they are at a price premium, also the 6hp is at the light end of the spectrum. Their navigator 3 m model seems about right for the engine. But I'm struggling with the close 3.5-4 k price for a Chinese made pvc boat inclusive of delivery.
My other options seem to be (inclusive of delivery):
1. a Highfield 280 airdeck ($2400) (Aussie brand but PRC made)
2. a Gala Sprinter 330D wood deck. ($2700) (Canadian brand but Ukrainian made)
3. Zodiac cadet 310 air deck (more expensive than a true kit and not sure where made)
Does anyone have experience with these. I assume the Highfield will be "squirrely" with such a short hull while the Gala will be too heavy (~55 odd kg) for a solo operator under powered with a 6 hp.
Your insights and or alternatives are welcome, cheers,
Patrick
I am located in Lyttelton Harbour, Christchurch, New Zealand. I have a few years boating experience on a variety of trailer boats ranging in size from 3.6 to 6 m. I'm a keen sea fisher so that's what I used them for. I used to do most of my boating and fishing with my wife, but now have a two year old (and now another on the way) so she doesn't come out on the boats anymore. The trailer boats were too big to use by myself so they've gone.
After having no boat for a year I'm thinking of getting something I can pack in the back of the car to hit a few near shore fishing spots I can't otherwise reach. I thought about a kayak but have had back surgery and that pretty much precludes that.
So am thinking of a sib of some sort. I've previously owed a Takacat 300LX, I enjoyed it but after a scary experience with a leaking tube (my fault) I don't want something with only two chambers and an inflatable deck. I currently have a Yamaha F6 that I've held on to an hope to use on whatever I purchase. I would buy another small Takacat if it had multiple chambers like True Kits and came in Hypalon for a reasonable price, I don't see the point of paying a premium for a glued pcv boat. I can get a 3.8 m version with 4 chambers plus air deck but would need a bigger outboard and hypalon is double the $3300 stock price so I think that rules it out for me.
I'm presently looking at True Kit Discovery's, Navigators and a few of the more regular mono-hull styles and brands (all welded valmex pvc fabric). True kits discovery's 3.3 look great and fit the bill as a solo fishing machine (plus the staff a very helpful) but they are at a price premium, also the 6hp is at the light end of the spectrum. Their navigator 3 m model seems about right for the engine. But I'm struggling with the close 3.5-4 k price for a Chinese made pvc boat inclusive of delivery.
My other options seem to be (inclusive of delivery):
1. a Highfield 280 airdeck ($2400) (Aussie brand but PRC made)
2. a Gala Sprinter 330D wood deck. ($2700) (Canadian brand but Ukrainian made)
3. Zodiac cadet 310 air deck (more expensive than a true kit and not sure where made)
Does anyone have experience with these. I assume the Highfield will be "squirrely" with such a short hull while the Gala will be too heavy (~55 odd kg) for a solo operator under powered with a 6 hp.
Your insights and or alternatives are welcome, cheers,
Patrick
-
pd2000
- I'm New
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 22 May 2022, 03:36
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Christchurch
- Has thanked: 4 times
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Hello from a new member in NZ and advice please
Well, after discussions with the supplier, the Gala model is out, because of previous bad experience with the shipping companies won't ship to my town.
Locally, I can source a Mercury (Quicksilver) 290 or 310 model for about $3000 so that's my other option in place of the Gala. Again pretty heavy 51 to 56 kg.
Locally, I can source a Mercury (Quicksilver) 290 or 310 model for about $3000 so that's my other option in place of the Gala. Again pretty heavy 51 to 56 kg.
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: Hello from a new member in NZ and advice please
Hi Patrick, welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately no exact hands on experience with any of the boats you mention, although owned a couple of Zodiacs in a previous life.
Of the mono hulls the only one I’d be cautious of is the Highfield. Not build quality, but reckon it will be a seriously wet ride with such small dia. tubes and that lightweight rubbing strake, which appears to lack any pronounced splash moulding.
Not familiar with that size Quicksilver, not available over here. Mercury name dropped on current range and no mention of welded seams in the blurb, so assume now glued. Pretty sure previous Mercury branded Quicksilvers were welded…our little 3.4 Ocean Runner certainly is.
Zodiac Cadets are fine little boats, but as you point out not cheap.
Must admit my preference would be with one of the TrueKit’s despite the extra outlay. Wouldn’t be too concerned running even the larger ones with your Yam 6hp, the tunnel hulls are super efficient and great fun in the surf.
In fact we were after a TrueKit Discovery last year but due to supply issues took a punt on a much cheaper Elling KB350. Although closed bow rides very similar to a Takacat, great fun in the surf and goes well with smaller motors. We run ours with a lightweight Tohatsu 9.8 but ridiculously can still get planing, one up, with our tiny 3.5 four stroke Merc/Mariner…crazy or what! Even at 3.5m (3.6 in the flesh) I’d have no qualms running it with a 6hp.
Whichever hull type you choose, my advice would be to go with the longest boat you can comfortably manage/manhandle. Nothing beats length for seakeeping and generally, the longer hulls will plane more readily even with smaller motors.
Happy boating.
Unfortunately no exact hands on experience with any of the boats you mention, although owned a couple of Zodiacs in a previous life.
Of the mono hulls the only one I’d be cautious of is the Highfield. Not build quality, but reckon it will be a seriously wet ride with such small dia. tubes and that lightweight rubbing strake, which appears to lack any pronounced splash moulding.
Not familiar with that size Quicksilver, not available over here. Mercury name dropped on current range and no mention of welded seams in the blurb, so assume now glued. Pretty sure previous Mercury branded Quicksilvers were welded…our little 3.4 Ocean Runner certainly is.
Zodiac Cadets are fine little boats, but as you point out not cheap.
Must admit my preference would be with one of the TrueKit’s despite the extra outlay. Wouldn’t be too concerned running even the larger ones with your Yam 6hp, the tunnel hulls are super efficient and great fun in the surf.
In fact we were after a TrueKit Discovery last year but due to supply issues took a punt on a much cheaper Elling KB350. Although closed bow rides very similar to a Takacat, great fun in the surf and goes well with smaller motors. We run ours with a lightweight Tohatsu 9.8 but ridiculously can still get planing, one up, with our tiny 3.5 four stroke Merc/Mariner…crazy or what! Even at 3.5m (3.6 in the flesh) I’d have no qualms running it with a 6hp.
Whichever hull type you choose, my advice would be to go with the longest boat you can comfortably manage/manhandle. Nothing beats length for seakeeping and generally, the longer hulls will plane more readily even with smaller motors.
Happy boating.
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
-
pd2000
- I'm New
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 22 May 2022, 03:36
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Christchurch
- Has thanked: 4 times
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Hello from a new member in NZ and advice please
Thanks Harrison, I had completely neglected dryness of the boat in my considerations.
It does indeed seem the higher outlay for the True Kit would be worth it.
It does indeed seem the higher outlay for the True Kit would be worth it.
-
G4Stirl26
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 31
- Joined: 29 Jun 2019, 18:48
- Boat Make: Takacat
- Outboard: Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke plus Tohatsu 9.8hp 4 stroke.
- Location: Portsmouth
- Has thanked: 5 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Hello from a new member in NZ and advice please
Hi pd2000.
I have an Elling KB350 and love it. Very well made and good vfm. Great fishing platform and a very dry ride. A frame and bow canopy extend its usability. Works well with my 6hp 4 stroke Tohatsu and flies with the 9.8hp/4 Tohatsu. Getting one is the challenge given the situation in Ukraine where they are (were) made.
I also have a Takacat 300lx which I use with the 6hp when out solo primarily in local harbours or on open water when conditions allow.
True Kit have always been on my radar especially the Tactician but cost of importing to the UK is prohibitive. They look very well made, are light weight and the founder has been superb in responding to my questions.
Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum!
I have an Elling KB350 and love it. Very well made and good vfm. Great fishing platform and a very dry ride. A frame and bow canopy extend its usability. Works well with my 6hp 4 stroke Tohatsu and flies with the 9.8hp/4 Tohatsu. Getting one is the challenge given the situation in Ukraine where they are (were) made.

I also have a Takacat 300lx which I use with the 6hp when out solo primarily in local harbours or on open water when conditions allow.
True Kit have always been on my radar especially the Tactician but cost of importing to the UK is prohibitive. They look very well made, are light weight and the founder has been superb in responding to my questions.
Good luck in your search and welcome to the forum!
-
screerun
- I'm New
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 23 Feb 2022, 17:02
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Inverness
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 1 time
Re: Hello from a new member in NZ and advice please
Hi there and welcome. I have previous experience with the zodiac 310. It was a nice boat that handled well. I also liked the fact that the floor comprises of a single (repairable) floor, inflatable keel topped by the air floor which means the air floor is protected from any accidental scuffing on the beach by the single skin floor. Also, with careful measuring and placement you can also fit a set of C-Tug dinghy wheels to the transom. People have mixed feeling about these wheels but I loved them. You can launch with them down and raise them when away from the shore and similarly drop them early on approach and haul straight out. On a previous boat I had 14” pneumatic wheels and the were a struggle owing to the buoyancy the tyres induced trying to lift the weight of the boat and engine with one hand whilst fighting the buoyant
Wheels (often in the water) out of their brackets and up…. Lots of swearing!
Rodents got to the boat over winter (brand new and one summers use only… be warned take precautions….gutted). So replaced with a Honwave 3.2 this spring only because the zodiac had gone up by £400 in these crazy days of ours, and I couldn’t find a stockist with one available anyway. Have not managed to find away of getting the C-Tugs onto the Honwave due to the full air floor protruding slightly beyond the transom and the depth of the air floor itself.
You mention a bad back. I am approaching the great 70 years and losing strength by the year. So I am struggling with the weight of the boat and have to use a sack truck to move the deflated boat around, its something to think about. As a wise man once said “ its not the biggest boat you can afford, its the smallest you can make do with”. Now thinking for my limited needs I could probably have gone with the 2.7m boat!
I could drone on for hours but can see your eyes closing. Whatever you decide, have fun. Best regards, Mick
Wheels (often in the water) out of their brackets and up…. Lots of swearing!
Rodents got to the boat over winter (brand new and one summers use only… be warned take precautions….gutted). So replaced with a Honwave 3.2 this spring only because the zodiac had gone up by £400 in these crazy days of ours, and I couldn’t find a stockist with one available anyway. Have not managed to find away of getting the C-Tugs onto the Honwave due to the full air floor protruding slightly beyond the transom and the depth of the air floor itself.
You mention a bad back. I am approaching the great 70 years and losing strength by the year. So I am struggling with the weight of the boat and have to use a sack truck to move the deflated boat around, its something to think about. As a wise man once said “ its not the biggest boat you can afford, its the smallest you can make do with”. Now thinking for my limited needs I could probably have gone with the 2.7m boat!
I could drone on for hours but can see your eyes closing. Whatever you decide, have fun. Best regards, Mick
-
Stupid Bouy
- I'm New
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 10 Jul 2022, 21:17
- Boat Make: Craft 12 ft
- Outboard: Johnson 20hp
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Bury Lanc,s
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 2 times
Re: Hello from a new member in NZ and advice please
Thanks for your reply Mike I am working on a solution to overcome I will let you know how I go on
-
pd2000
- I'm New
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 22 May 2022, 03:36
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Christchurch
- Has thanked: 4 times
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Hello from a new member in NZ and advice please
Thanks to everyone for your advice and feedback. I have ended up with a nice little boat, not quite what I was expecting, but came a across a great deal on a one year old second hand Truekit Tactician last month that I couldn't pass up. 4 m long and 1.25 m wide, last of the longer models made, essentially a very large inflatable tunnel hull kayak with a 6 hp on the back. More than big enough for me, and my outboard is right in the middle of its rating. I haven't had the chance to go out on it yet as my wife went in to labour while I was out picking it up! So I got a nice new boat and a baby boy! Will post some picks of the boat as soon as I get the chance, cheers, Patrick
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Hello from a new member in NZ and advice please
Hi Patrick, welcome aboard!
Massive congrats on the new family edition and your floaty boaty thing too
We’d love to see some pics of the set up when you’re able to get it wet.
Enjoy the forum
Martin
Massive congrats on the new family edition and your floaty boaty thing too
We’d love to see some pics of the set up when you’re able to get it wet.
Enjoy the forum
Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there




