TrueKit Navigator

Here you can document your Outboards, SIB's and RIB's re-building challenge.
Restoration is satisfying, a great way to learn, and usually a way of getting something special whilst saving money..
Please make a "New Topic" for EACH build.
theins Australia
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by theins » 12 Dec 2020, 00:25

surfstar wrote: ↑
22 Nov 2020, 21:55
theins wrote: ↑
02 Nov 2020, 08:38
With hindsight I wish I had opted for the 9.9 Yamaha (and stuff the 10 kg's).
Hope the tiller extension will help ya a bit! I'd also suggest to ensure the tubes are fully inflated - cold water can shrink them if you topped them off on land / in the sun prior to casting off. That little bit might be the difference...

I'm pretty sure I've resigned myself to the 6hp Suzuki - I imagine it will be just myself the majority of the time, and we surf and dive in the coastal waters, so I have a hard time justifying/allowing myself to use a 2stroke anymore. (don't worry, I don't assume we'd plane with dive gear onboard!) Even assuming I switched to a "bio/eco" 2stroke oil, there is still 30% of fuel that simply passes through unburnt! I'm hoping that the longer 330 Discovery and a couple kilo lighter outboard will be enough to make it plane with two up. I plan on getting a custom prop that Truekit sells. Last resort is the permatrim like you added. If after all that, it can't plane, then I might have to make my peace and search out the 9.8 Tohatsu; knowing that I tried hard to avoid the polluting! I've seen one or two for sale a distance away, so I know they can be found with patience.

Rod's boats are all out of stock, but should have some coming in late Nov and Dec - I asked him to reserve a Dec one for me. So hopefully I'll have my setup ready to play in the new year.

Please keep updating this with your experience, as there is very little info on the Truekits out there. A bit more on Takacats, but even that is thin. I've had a wood floor, air floor and a RIB - I'm looking forward to this new cat-style air floor - light, compact and hopefully goes well...

cheers
Thanks for the comment - will keep a closer eye on the pressure next time.

Had it out a few times, but mostly lakes and rivers.

Loving the ease of setup / pack up of the boat. Not sure if I mentioned it previously, but I also invested in an electric pump that works with pre-set pressures. Makes such a difference to the setup process.

I can't bring myself to buying a 2 stroke. Apart from the fact that you can't get them new, they have also been outlawed on a fair number of lakes and waterways. Have been looking at electric outboards, but the pricing is prohibitive (imho) at this stage, not to mention the weight penalty when you want a more powerful electric outboard. So I am still going back and forth about staying with the 6hp Yamaha or taking the hit and upgrading to the 9.9hp.

Cheers
These users thanked the author theins for the post:
surfstar (13 Dec 2020, 15:43)

swang United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Jun 2021, 13:25
Location: Ohio
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by swang » 28 Jun 2021, 16:53

Hi everyone, greetings from Ohio! Considering a True Kit Navigator 300 and 9.9 outboard, so reading these posts has been helpful! I’m a little concerned about handling the size and weight of the boat and engine combined, and getting it in/out of the water. Would definitely get the wheels.
These users thanked the author swang for the post:
theins (06 Nov 2021, 04:48)

DK22 New Zealand
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Nov 2020, 08:26
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Mt Roskill
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by DK22 » 28 Jun 2021, 23:14

Hi Swang

I have the 300 navigator with a 2-stroke 8hp Yamaha on the back (weighs roughly 28KG). I have the Quicklock wheels which TrueKit supply - honestly wouldn’t purchase the boat without them. Moving the boat without outbaord on wheels is incredibly light. Once I add the outboard, ~10L fuel, 10-20KG of gear, the boat remains pretty mobile on wheels - handle at the front of the boat used for pulling can become a little uncomfortable.

In terms of in/out water, it is usually pretty simple, just have to maintain some momentum in softer stuff. Also depends on gradient of beach/lake of course, generally flat where i am.

I have loaded up the boat with outboard, 10L fuel, and roughly 60KG of gear and still been able to move the boat roughly 30m into the water on semi-firm sand (I am a skinnier/weaker build!) but not suitable for long distances, you’d have to empty the gear from the boat and transport separately.

If you however have someone assisting you, the options are endless if they push from the back.

Cheers

theins Australia
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by theins » 06 Nov 2021, 04:51

swang wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2021, 16:53
Hi everyone, greetings from Ohio! Considering a True Kit Navigator 300 and 9.9 outboard, so reading these posts has been helpful! I’m a little concerned about handling the size and weight of the boat and engine combined, and getting it in/out of the water. Would definitely get the wheels.
Definitely get the wheels - I ordered it without - and the wheels were the first addition after the fist use... hand in hand with the electric pump...
I have the 6hp Yamaha which is about 30kg and a 12l fuel tank. That, plus some gear and it is easy to handle. Don't think that the add 10kg for the 9.9 would make a difference

Tyger England
Advanced Member
Posts: 158
Joined: 30 Jun 2021, 17:31
Boat Make: Takacat 380 lx
Outboard: Tohatsu 20 hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by Tyger » 07 Nov 2021, 20:39

I have a new True kit Takacat 380 with a 20 hp Tohatsu. The engine has only just arrived so neither has got wet yet, it arrived just in time for winter.
I will only use the sib with my wife, and after agonising over engine size went for the 20hp, so far I think handling the engine on my own would be difficult but only due to its awkward shape, but with my wife helping to lift the leg of the motor up we found it relatively easy to lift in and out of our estate car.

theins Australia
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by theins » 08 Nov 2021, 08:24

Tyger wrote: ↑
07 Nov 2021, 20:39
I have a new True kit Takacat 380 with a 20 hp Tohatsu. The engine has only just arrived so neither has got wet yet, it arrived just in time for winter.
I will only use the sib with my wife, and after agonising over engine size went for the 20hp, so far I think handling the engine on my own would be difficult but only due to its awkward shape, but with my wife helping to lift the leg of the motor up we found it relatively easy to lift in and out of our estate car.
Hi Tyger,
just out of curiosity - do you have a takacat or a true kit? two different manufacturers - though they are both cats...
Re the engine - I just went back to Yamaha to get the 9.9 - alas, none is available at the moment... maybe next year...

Tyger England
Advanced Member
Posts: 158
Joined: 30 Jun 2021, 17:31
Boat Make: Takacat 380 lx
Outboard: Tohatsu 20 hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: TrueKit Navigator

Post by Tyger » 08 Nov 2021, 08:35

I have Takacat , only just realised with your question I was wrong thinking True Kit made the Takacat.
These users thanked the author Tyger for the post:
theins (09 Nov 2021, 07:45)

Post Reply

Return to “My Boat / My Build...”