Yam 380S with Johnson 20hp from the Netherlands

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
Post Reply
Naishman Netherlands
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2021, 09:14
Boat Make: Yam 360S
Outboard: Johnson 20hp from 1989
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Zeewolde
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Yam 380S with Johnson 20hp from the Netherlands

Post by Naishman » 25 Aug 2021, 09:49

Hye all,

I`m Berto van den Bos, 46 and from the Netherlands.

Beginning this summer we bought our first SIB, a Yam 380S with a Mariner 5hp.
We have made several nice journey`s with it but after a short time I wanted to upgrade the SIB.

And in 2 ways, I wanted to add seats and a steering console.
And of course more power.

More power was the less difficult, I bought a cheap 'not running' Johnson 20hp which I got to run after just half an hour:
Image
Image
Image



Idea is to completely clean and maintain the outboard coming winter

But shortly after that I bought a also not running Johnson 30hp.
Not for mounting on our SIB but for parts.

The 30hp is a electric start version and I want to install this on the 20hp version:
Image
Image

+ I already used some other parts from the 30 for the 20 (the 30 is also a long tail).

After that the 20hp had the test run I needed to install it on the YAM 380S and try it on the water.
This was after the successful first half an our with the 20hp at the back:
Image
Image


after that I replaced it with the Mariner 5hp again to begin on the boat upgrade.


And the idea was to convert the SIB into this:


Image

Bought a second hand steering and throttle control and some aluminium and after a few hours of building I had the frame ready:
Image
Image

Mounted in the SIB and conected the Mariner 5hp to the steering control:
Image
Image

After that I made a frame for the seats:
Image
Image

+ connected the Mariner to the throttle and shift:
Image

In this way it is relaxed boating around, but the 5hp is somewhat small, and the 20hp is running good enough I guess so last weekend I have taken off the Mariner and installed the Johnson again and connected all to the shift/throttle unit:

I have made a test run last Saturday with my son and we have out on the water for more then 3 hrs without a hitch from the engine, so very happy with it.

We made a trip to a nearby village and went for a cool drink :-)
Image

Sunday it was all raining here so I used that day to close up the console frame and also had installed a bar on top:
Image
Image

I also will install a digital RPM/Hour counter and a phone holder for the map.

This winter I will convert the 20hp to electric start and then I will also need to add a starter switch, Volt/Ampere meter and a battery in front of the tank under the console.

Greats,
Berto.

warder54 Great Britain
Super Poster
Posts: 645
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Montrose -Scotland
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Yam 380S with Johnson 20hp from the Netherlands

Post by warder54 » 27 Aug 2021, 05:50

Welkom Berto, mooie boot en motor! ik ben Mike en ik woon in Schotland noord-oost. Het spijt me voor slecht grammatik! I am out of practice.
Your photos are not showing. Better to upload direct to here, use the full editor to post and use the attachment tab, or, drag and drop photo's into the box.
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Naishman Netherlands
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2021, 09:14
Boat Make: Yam 360S
Outboard: Johnson 20hp from 1989
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Zeewolde
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Yam 380S with Johnson 20hp from the Netherlands

Post by Naishman » 27 Aug 2021, 07:26

Hye no problem will will manage the language ;-)

Mhhh, will sort out the photo`s later this day, were copied from another forum, will sort it out later this day.

Naishman Netherlands
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 25 Aug 2021, 09:14
Boat Make: Yam 360S
Outboard: Johnson 20hp from 1989
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Zeewolde
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Yam 380S with Johnson 20hp from the Netherlands

Post by Naishman » 27 Aug 2021, 10:10

Mhhh, mad another mistake, it should be a Yam 360S instead of a 380 :LMT

But nevertheless, here the photo`s as we bought our first SIB, the Yam360S with a Mariner 5hp:
Yam 360S (1).jpg
Yam 360S (2).jpg
Yam 360S (3).jpg
Yam 360S (7).jpg
Yam 360S (11).jpg
We bought this SIB second hand, with outboard and trailer and plan is to make several trips in the Netherlands.
Also we are planning to go to Croatia next year with the SIB.

But after several trips we (my wife and I, and 2 kids) decided that more comfort would be welcome so I decided that this SIB needs and upgrade.

And this upgrade can be found here: YAM 360S form 5hp to 20hp and adding seats and steering console

Post Reply

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”