True Kit 280 Discovery

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
Post Reply
Flymike Wales
I'm New
Posts: 8
Joined: 07 May 2017, 10:54
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Pembrokeshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

True Kit 280 Discovery

Post by Flymike » 26 Jul 2021, 16:54

Hi all

Been skulking around here for many months and finally taken the plunge. Not new to boating but I am a virgin when it comes to inflatables. Here's my new toy.

Cheers
Mike
Attachments
IMG_0247.jpeg
IMG_0250.jpeg

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: True Kit 280 Discovery

Post by harrison » 26 Jul 2021, 17:38

Very nice Mike. Always fancied a TrueKit cat.

What motor will you be bolting on the back.
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

Flymike Wales
I'm New
Posts: 8
Joined: 07 May 2017, 10:54
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Pembrokeshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: True Kit 280 Discovery

Post by Flymike » 26 Jul 2021, 19:06

I've got an Epropulsion electric motor on order. I may get a 6hp petrol later on but the aim is to be as portable as possible.
These users thanked the author Flymike for the post:
harrison (27 Jul 2021, 06:28)

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: True Kit 280 Discovery

Post by harrison » 27 Jul 2021, 07:30

Will be interested to hear how it goes with the Epropulsion.

Enjoy your new rig. :thumbsup
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

Flymike Wales
I'm New
Posts: 8
Joined: 07 May 2017, 10:54
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Pembrokeshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: True Kit 280 Discovery

Post by Flymike » 27 Jul 2021, 10:09

Epropulsion are pulling good reviews. It's getting hold of one that is the problem!

Tyger England
Advanced Member
Posts: 158
Joined: 30 Jun 2021, 17:31
Boat Make: Takacat 380 lx
Outboard: Tohatsu 20 hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: True Kit 280 Discovery

Post by Tyger » 28 Jul 2021, 16:37

Very nice, I've got a 380 lx Takacat on order if they ever arrive lol.
What are you going to be using it for?

Flymike Wales
I'm New
Posts: 8
Joined: 07 May 2017, 10:54
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Pembrokeshire
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: True Kit 280 Discovery

Post by Flymike » 30 Jul 2021, 07:59

I'm in West Wales and I'm going to be sneaking in and out of rocky coves targetting bass and pollack on lures. The portability and stealth should give me the same options that I used to have with my kayak but without less effort and more range 😃
These users thanked the author Flymike for the post:
Tyger (01 Aug 2021, 14:51)

Tyger England
Advanced Member
Posts: 158
Joined: 30 Jun 2021, 17:31
Boat Make: Takacat 380 lx
Outboard: Tohatsu 20 hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: True Kit 280 Discovery

Post by Tyger » 01 Aug 2021, 14:51

Cool.... similar to me but on the menai straits.

Tommo England
I'm New
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2020, 10:40
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Durham
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: True Kit 280 Discovery

Post by Tommo » 05 Aug 2021, 06:39

I’ve had a Discovery 330 for around 6 months now but waited a while for my motor to arrive. I went for a Suzuki 9.9 four stroke, I’m new to sibs so can’t compare to other boats but so far I love it, I have years of experience fishing from kayaks but went down this route due to an injury but I didn’t want to stop fishing.
I’m not sure if it’s engine specific but I get a lot of spray back through the drain slots in the transom, I tried raising the motor about 3/4 inch with a piece of wood (can’t go higher as I’d run out of transom) which helped slightly but in any kind of chop it made the ventilation worse so I’ve stopped raising the motor up.
That said once on the plain and at 3/4 throttle I’ve had 19mph which I’m very happy with and to be honest it’s not that often it’s calm enough to move along at that speed, once I’ve had the first service done I’ll see what it’s like opened up fully on the plain.
I bought an itiwit 12v electric pump from Decathlon, I wish I hadn’t now I can blow the boat up quicker with the supplied bravo hand pump, I think I’ll get a rechargeable leaf blower that a lad on one of the face book groups uses and use the hand pump for the final pressure.
The support and customer service from Truekit are great, I waited quite a while for my boat to arrive (probably due to COVID) and when it did it had been bashed about and the hand pump was smash, I emailed Rod at Truekit and he promptly sent out a replacement. I did complain to FedEx but still haven’t had a reply, they do hit you with an import duty though!
Any pointers from experienced sib users would be welcome 👍🏻 I’ll attach a video of my first trip which shows the boat on the water etc.
These users thanked the author Tommo for the post:
Oldman (05 Aug 2021, 16:38)

warder54 Great Britain
Super Poster
Posts: 645
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Montrose -Scotland
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: True Kit 280 Discovery

Post by warder54 » 21 Aug 2021, 15:57

Nice vids - Subscribed :-)
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Post Reply

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”