New SIB OWNER

Ask current owners for advice before taking the plunge !
Post Reply
Colin England
I'm New
Posts: 3
Joined: 20 Jun 2021, 12:47
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Luton
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New SIB OWNER

Post by Colin » 20 Jun 2021, 13:02

Hi,if you can help me I would appreciate it.I’m new to all this, and will be getting a new SIB In two weeks time,it’s a sea pro air deck 360 with 15 hp engine.what do I need to do regarding licences/ insurance or any documentation?I probably will use it on rivers and canals, lakes,inshore for fishing etc,but only now and then.Any suggestions or help would be great.

Many thanks 👍😄

sonny1 England
Super Poster
Posts: 864
Joined: 29 Mar 2019, 17:29
Boat Make: xs 515
Outboard: mercury f60 elpt
MMSI Number: 232027436
Location: hitchin ,herts
Has thanked: 709 times
Been thanked: 204 times

Re: New SIB OWNER

Post by sonny1 » 20 Jun 2021, 17:15

hi there colin , im terry and probably your nearest neighbour, im only just over in hitchin.im not a river or lake boater so cant help with those but insurance is a must . i use an online company called craftinsure . i dont know what they are like because i hav,nt made a claim, and hope it stays that way. im sure other members will be along soon to add their thoughts . ... anyway welcome

Bigplumbs
Veteran Member
Posts: 467
Joined: 02 Sep 2017, 06:10
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Suffolk UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: New SIB OWNER

Post by Bigplumbs » 21 Jun 2021, 18:26

For inland waterways you will on many rivers need a licence . The best way to find this out is jut google the river or lake you are going on ie 'Do I need a licence to boat on the River Nene'. You should find what you need that way.

Yes Insurance is a must and Craftinsure are very good

Sibfisher Spain
Veteran Member
Posts: 420
Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
Boat Make: Elling KB 350
Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
MMSI Number: 1
Location: Tui, Spain
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: New SIB OWNER

Post by Sibfisher » 22 Jun 2021, 07:46

:welcome Colin sound a very nice setup
I cant give much help on that as based in Spain but sure there are many on here can help

Colin England
I'm New
Posts: 3
Joined: 20 Jun 2021, 12:47
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Luton
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New SIB OWNER

Post by Colin » 24 Jun 2021, 09:55

Hi, thanks for a warm welcome,and advice !

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: New SIB OWNER

Post by ChrisParish » 27 Jun 2021, 21:17

+1 for craftinsure. I have used them for a few years no. I think @Roy54 has made a claim with them and the process was pretty easy.
As far as licensing goes, there is no legal requirement for any type of qualification to use a boat. Some bodies of water such as rivers require registration or licensing of the vessel.
Most people seeking some kind of qualification go for the Powerboat 2 (PB2) course.
Some councils are now insisting on a PB2 in order for you to use their slipways, but as far as I know they cannot enforce it on the water.
Most harbours will require you to pay “dues” which helps pay for the upkeep of the harbour - things like bouyage and dredging etc.

The UK is an interesting country in many ways. For example there is no legal requirement to pass a test or wear a life jacket, but you need a licence to use a radio.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

Post Reply

Return to “Thinking Of Buying?”