Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car

All things outboard related here!
4 Stroke, 2 Stroke & Electric
Post Reply
Sibfisher Spain
Veteran Member
Posts: 420
Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
Boat Make: Elling KB 350
Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
MMSI Number: 1
Location: Tui, Spain
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car

Post by Sibfisher » 01 Jun 2020, 12:57

:help If I drain the oil and the petrol out of the 4 stroke outboard Is it possible to put it on its 'back' for transport? The same way as if it was was fully tilted on the back of a boat, It will be in this position for about 38 hours-

After a lot of advice not to trailer my boat with the outboard attached if possible, it is possible I can fit it in the back of my ford c-max with the center seat up folded up which that will give room for other items we need to carry when traveling back to Spain.

User avatar
9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Posts: 932
Joined: 12 Feb 2016, 13:56
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI
Location: The Republic of Texas
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car

Post by 9-R » 01 Jun 2020, 13:39

38 hours! Where you heading to?

We took long trips with our SIB on a trailer and the engine attached. Would be from 1-4 hours each way and we never had any issues. All trips combined were probably more than what you're intending. Just make sure your transom is supported by the trailer and not just the tubes.
IMG_20160325_154041.jpg
Before the trailer we just latched the engine onto a board that was connected to a carrier. Can you attach yours to a board as well and use it to balance it upright?
IMG_2863_800.jpg
These users thanked the author 9-R for the post:
Sibfisher (01 Jun 2020, 18:22)
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car

Post by ChrisParish » 01 Jun 2020, 14:19

If your engine is orientated as it would be on the transom then there is no need to drain the oil. You would only need to drain it if you wanted it lying with the front or the wrong side the engine facing upwards.

Generally, on “its back” would be with the prop facing down, “its front” would be with the prop facing up and the sides are, well, the sides.
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
RONHAS (01 Jun 2020, 14:24)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car

Post by ChrisParish » 01 Jun 2020, 14:21

Crap drawing.
image.jpg
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post (total 2):
Martin (01 Jun 2020, 15:10) • Sibfisher (01 Jun 2020, 18:21)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car

Post by Martin » 01 Jun 2020, 15:10

Yes, i mean No... :LMT
I mean don't put it on it's back, put it on it's front at the angle as if it was on a transom, and i'm in complete agreement with Vincent Van Parish. :D
(ps... that's actually a very simple to understand drawing) :thumbsup

As long as you keep the power head a good height above the prop, all should be fine for travel.
I'd be the same as you, I'd not want to travel all that way with the outboard attached.

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car

Post by harrison » 01 Jun 2020, 15:18

Whilst I agree transporting on its front will be fine as long as it’s not at an angle greater than the full tilt position...power head appreciably higher than leg.

Personally though, for peace of mind and on such a long journey, I’d be inclined to drain off the oil anyway. You also then have the option to lay on whichever side takes your fancy.
These users thanked the author harrison for the post:
Sibfisher (01 Jun 2020, 18:21)
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car

Post by ChrisParish » 01 Jun 2020, 15:33

There is something to be said for draining the oil for a long journey. I had my engine laying on the correct side for 12 hours on the way to scotland and it smoked like crazy when I started up due to oil.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

Sibfisher Spain
Veteran Member
Posts: 420
Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
Boat Make: Elling KB 350
Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
MMSI Number: 1
Location: Tui, Spain
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car

Post by Sibfisher » 01 Jun 2020, 18:17

Thanks for all the advice it is gratefully received.
Why it is such a long journey is the form Northwich to Plymouth is about 5 hours then there's waiting to get on the boat which then takes 24 hours to Santander then another 6 hours drive to our place in Galicia.
So as you can see it is longer than the 38 hours stated.

Maybe I explained it wrong, to give as much room in the boot I would like to lay it down on the front with the prop facing upwards, hope that is fine to do that.
I will run the outboard dry of petrol and will drain the oil out so there is no problems on journey plus no problems with my Wife which has been very good to suggest putting the outboard in the car, when I get there I will put the oil back into it.

knaus470 Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 22
Joined: 10 Jul 2019, 22:49
Location: Pennines
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car

Post by knaus470 » 17 Oct 2020, 17:24

May be late in replying to this but as I've found out from the same query you're outboard will likely have some form of identification (likely on the cowl) as to what orientation the motor may be laid flat for storage or transport.

For my 4-hp 4-stroke Nissan outboard that would be laying it on its folded tiller

As I don't like the idea of that (chance of causing damage) I built a small but strong mounting frame to which I can mount the outboard for transport, then orient it into this advised position

As I use my boat now every 3rd week when away with my caravan, the outboard now travels & lives in my car
These users thanked the author knaus470 for the post:
Sibfisher (24 Oct 2020, 13:08)

Post Reply

Return to “Outboards”