New Member 'Hello'.

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
Post Reply
Steve Edwards England
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 26 Aug 2020, 07:17
Boat Make: Avon S300
Outboard: 25HP Chrysler
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Huddersfield
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

New Member 'Hello'.

Post by Steve Edwards » 26 Aug 2020, 07:51

Hi Everyone,

I've just recently come across this excellent f.ribsandsibs community whilst browsing the net looking for info regarding inflatable boats and outboards, and decided to join.
A few weeks ago I acquired an old Avon S300 SIB, with trailer, and 25HP Chrysler outboard from my father.
We used to use this boat for family fun up in the lake district many years ago when I was a teenager.
The boat is a bit of a project - it has been dry stored in a cellar/barn since the 1990's and needs work in various areas.
The trailer needs new tyres, indespension units, and tow hitch.
The boat needs a good clean up, maybe a repaint, and a few things re-gluing here and there.
The engine last ran about 10 years ago, so it's going to need a good service at least, if not a strip down and refresh.
I'm currently trying to find some literature on both the boat, and engine, so I can start working on it.

With a bit of luck I hope to be able to use the boat next summer, but in the meantime I'm hoping to get some proper steering gear and remote controls for it, and some inflatable seats.

During the day I have a small vehicle body repair workshop, and a large proportion of my work involves fibreglass vehicles and building custom-made GRP parts for TVR's, so over time I guess if there's any extras/accessories/modifications required to this boat or trailer I'll probably make them myself if practical.

Many thanks in advance for any help, advice, and general tips as I learn more about this boat and it's maintenance.

Steve.

Oldman England
Advanced Member
Posts: 248
Joined: 12 Jun 2020, 10:41
Boat Make: Elling KB350 SIB
Outboard: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Location: North Kent
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: New Member 'Hello'.

Post by Oldman » 26 Aug 2020, 10:25

Welcome aboard, there are lots of helpful members here, enjoy. :welcome

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: New Member 'Hello'.

Post by ChrisParish » 26 Aug 2020, 13:09

Hi Steve and :welcome to the forum!

There is a wealth of knowledge here and a few of the members are quiet well practised at restoration projects.
What size is the S300? A bit of googling leads me to believe it might be 3.8m, but could be over 4.

Remember - we love pictures! TTIWWP
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

Steve Edwards England
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 26 Aug 2020, 07:17
Boat Make: Avon S300
Outboard: 25HP Chrysler
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Huddersfield
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: New Member 'Hello'.

Post by Steve Edwards » 28 Aug 2020, 14:52

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I think the boat is 3.8m
20200819_113125.jpg
20200819_113117.jpg

Bigplumbs
Veteran Member
Posts: 467
Joined: 02 Sep 2017, 06:10
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Suffolk UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: New Member 'Hello'.

Post by Bigplumbs » 28 Aug 2020, 16:33

Hello Steve and Welcome.... That looks a nice boat and that is certainly a vintage engine but I like Vintage.

Put some carpet over those Supports on the trailer :)

Post Reply

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”