Which one

Ask current owners for advice before taking the plunge !
Post Reply
STORA England
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 30 Mar 2020, 11:27
Boat Make: zodiac zoom 3.50 sp alu
Outboard: mercury 4hp2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: GLOUCESTER
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0

Which one

Post by STORA » 12 Aug 2020, 16:33

Hi everyone, I am new to this, I currently have a Zodiac Zoom 3.50 SP ALU with an old Mercury 4hp 2 stroke which starts easily. I use it mainly on the R Severn and R Avon and also out of Mylor Harbour in Cornwall.

I now have the chance of buying a 1985 Suzuki 2 stroke 15hp that has only done around 15 hrs !!!!! for £825 or a 2018 Tohatsu 4 stroke 9.8hp for £1000 which has not been serviced but has only run on freshwater.

I have been out with both guys and seen both engines at first hand.

So the big question is which do I take has the best one for my SIB.

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Which one

Post by ChrisParish » 12 Aug 2020, 16:45

Ooh - that’s a toughie. On the rivers the fourstroke will be much nicer but out on the sea the 15hp two stroke will kick some ass.
The 2 stroke may also be lighter than the 4 stroke but It will use significantly more fuel (not as much as a US made 2 stroke of the same age).

I don’t know which I would go for - both have their ups and downs.

Fourstroke Pros
Quiet, fuel efficient, easy to start, nearly new

Two stroke Pros
Powerful, light

Fourstroke Cons:
Heavy, not as powerful as the 2 stroke, has to be transported in a specific orientation so the oil doesn’t get where it shouldn’t.

Two stroke cons:
Loud, fuel hungry, old, requires oil mixing into the fuel
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
STORA (12 Aug 2020, 16:57)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Which one

Post by harrison » 12 Aug 2020, 18:06

Difficult one.

We ran a Zodiac Zoom SP350 Alu a good few years back with both a 4-stroke Suzi 20 efi and a 2-stroke Tohatsu 9.8. Great boat. Little motor for solo launching/fun and big un for towing and family fun.

Big fan of two strokes but an 85 Suzi at £850 would be just too much of a reliability risk for me...Suzuki not the best in that era and loads of horror stories of power head studs turning to cheese etc. etc. If after a lightweight two stroke around a grand I’d be looking more for a later 2000 to 2006 Merc/Mariner/Yamaha 15....37kg of reliable power if you can find one.

The Tohatsu more of a sensible buy, but heavy (37kg?) and underpowered by comparison. Will be under warranty unless lack of service history voids this.

The Zoom 350 transom is rated up to 20hp/55kg. So plenty of choice in the only slightly heavier 43/44kg 15/20 efi four-stroke market if funds allow.
These users thanked the author harrison for the post (total 2):
STORA (12 Aug 2020, 19:53) • ChrisParish (12 Aug 2020, 20:16)
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

STORA England
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 30 Mar 2020, 11:27
Boat Make: zodiac zoom 3.50 sp alu
Outboard: mercury 4hp2 stroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: GLOUCESTER
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which one

Post by STORA » 23 Oct 2020, 19:31

Well guys I have just bought the Suzuki DT 15HP 2 STROKE. I went and had it serviced and had the impeller and fuel pump diaphragms replaced. The guy who serviced it could not believe the super condition it was in so that was great news.
I look forward to having hours of fun now on mainly rivers and a bit of salt.

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Which one

Post by rogerblack » 24 Oct 2020, 08:26

That's great news, always nice to have an engine you can rely on.

Look forward to seeing some pics or videos when you get out and about :thumbsup
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

Post Reply

Return to “Thinking Of Buying?”