Know anything about True Kit boats?

A sib is a soft floor inflatable boat that will roll up and fit into a bag to ease with carrying or storage.
There are many different floor designs, exampoles include - Air floor mat, Wooden/Metal boards over an Inflatable Keel or a High Pressure V Floor.
MauiBen United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
MMSI Number: 10
Location: San Francisco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by MauiBen » 30 Apr 2019, 16:33

You must be right, Froglet. I thought the same thing myself, but looking closely at the stamp, it sure looks like it's a deliberate three (see attached photo). Maybe just a "typo".

20190429_164502.jpg

True Kit recommended I try this Solas 7.5 x 7 prop. They said get it cupped as much as possible, or double cupped. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/solas-a ... AsQAvD_BwE

ba_fisher United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Mar 2020, 19:59
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Santa Cruz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by ba_fisher » 15 Mar 2020, 20:43

Hi @MauiBen , how's the True Kit Discovery doing after a year? I am very close to pulling the trigger on one now. I also live in the SF Bay Area.

Have you taken it out at rough seas and high wind? I am a little worried if high wind may flip up the bow.

Also, how does the boat track on a following sea? I heard that cats in general have the tendency to turn sideways when they are pushed by the waves. Has that ever happened to you?

I'll probably use it mostly on lakes and in the bay, but I do plan to take it out of Half Moon Bay on a very calm day.

ba_fisher United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 Mar 2020, 19:59
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Santa Cruz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by ba_fisher » 25 Jul 2020, 20:19

I ended up buying. Shipped from New Zealand via DHL!


warder54 Great Britain
Super Poster
Posts: 645
Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Montrose -Scotland
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by warder54 » 26 Jul 2020, 13:42

Very nice! If I didn't already have my F-Rib 360 - I'd be tempted
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

theins Australia
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by theins » 07 Aug 2020, 04:30

I have recently bought the Navigator 300 from Truekit. Only had it out a couple of times, but am enjoying it.

Tommo England
I'm New
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2020, 10:40
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Durham
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by Tommo » 21 Aug 2020, 10:35

Hi, how do you rate the Navigator 300? and what size outboard are you using?

theins Australia
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Brisbane
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by theins » 22 Aug 2020, 01:26

I am really enjoying it - having said that, this is my first boat, so have nothing really to compare it with. I like it as
a) it is big enough for two of us (and some camping gear)
b) it is a stable platform

Originally I was drawn to the explorer, but decided that the navigator was going to be more comfortable for us, as the floor does not curve up as in the explorer. But that's us - obviously it depends on what you want to use the boat for.

The other thing to call out is the service (both pre-and after-sales). Rod was very patient and responsive when I asked what I am sure were basic questions for him, providing advice and information.

I put up a post covering the boat and add ons and will add to that as time progresses:

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=4383

The outboard I am using is a 6hp Yamaha - 4 stroke. In the post above I am elaborating a bit more on the engine.

The boat is rated for 10hp, but portability is important for me and the Yamaha has a 10kg weight difference between the 1 cyl and 2 cyl engines. So I went for the most powerful I could get in the 1 cyl range.

Tommo England
I'm New
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2020, 10:40
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Durham
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by Tommo » 22 Aug 2020, 21:34

Thanks for the reply, it certainly does seem to tick the boxes with me due to weight and portability 👍🏻

Tommo England
I'm New
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2020, 10:40
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Durham
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by Tommo » 16 Mar 2021, 21:18

I ended up getting the Truekit Discovery 3.3, I’m just waiting for my outboard to arrive then hopefully I’ll be able to get out and see how it goes.
Attachments
8E21E2A3-E97B-42DC-B360-C95B318BE836.jpeg
These users thanked the author Tommo for the post:
theins (21 Mar 2021, 07:30)

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?

Post by harrison » 18 Mar 2021, 13:36

Oooooh! @Tommo that looks bleedin ace matey. :thumbsup

Nearly pulled the plug on one last year but ended up with a bargain tiny rib instead. Still fancy one though....would just love a tiny cat for playing in the surf. :whistle

A bit further north than yourself, we boat out of Beadnell, but if you’re ever up that way would love to see it in action.

Enjoy your new boat.
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

Post Reply

Return to “SIB - Soft Inflatable Boat”