Help, 1972 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Saga

All things outboard related here!
4 Stroke, 2 Stroke & Electric
Post Reply
BigBuoysToys England
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 04 Jun 2020, 08:32
Boat Make: Honda Honweave T40 AE2
Outboard: Volvo Penta 35hp
Evinrude 25hp
Seagull
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Help, 1972 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Saga

Post by BigBuoysToys » 08 Jul 2020, 10:07

One of my engines, which I bought a year ago, a 1972 18hp Evinrude Fastwin, is a good starter and runner but had always been used with remotes and needed a tiller handle. I found the right one but then realised the gear riser was missing and was lucky to find one quickly. I then turned my attention to the impeller as it didn't pump much water.

Everything came apart well, no stripping out etc and the impeller revealed a lot of wear and a broken arm so I replaced that but then, in my inimitable wisdom, while I was in this area, I decided to remove the prop and replace the shear pin. The end cap and split pin came out, the shear pin came out but the prop remained 'glued' to the shaft.

After soaking in fresh water then freeing oil for a day, as prying was not working, it was still stuck hard. So I decided on gentle persuasion with a bearing puller. I would tension it up, leave it and when I returned it seemed to have moved a fraction. Gradually I made progress until it came off!

Unfortunately I thought it had come off but the prop was off but it had left its central core still firmly locked on the shaft and it just wont shift, looking like it's supposed to be part of the shaft. It's the alloy/steel problem and I doubt whether this prop has ever been off! Ihave never seen a prop weld itself to this degree before.

Two questions.

1) What's the best way to remove the prop core from the shaft?
2) In case it just wont release which Evinrude/Johnson bottom ends with gearbox are compatible with the 1972 18hp Fastwin?

I would appreciate any help especially if you've had a similar problem. It all seemed to be going so well!

Many Thanks

BigBuoysToys England
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 04 Jun 2020, 08:32
Boat Make: Honda Honweave T40 AE2
Outboard: Volvo Penta 35hp
Evinrude 25hp
Seagull
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Help, 1972 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Saga

Post by BigBuoysToys » 08 Jul 2020, 13:10

Hi, update!! After another nights soaking and some very fine work with a disk cutter the prop core finally released. So, all solved there with patience and care.

The second question as to the compatibility of other similar yeared engines in Evinrude and Johnson is still open for answers.

Thank You.

PeterM
Super Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 14:53
Location: Bournemouth & Poole
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Help, 1972 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Saga

Post by PeterM » 08 Jul 2020, 15:19

Beat me to it.. but a disc cutter would be my go to aswell. Down one side very carefully.. but glad it's off now for you.

Have you already got a new prop or maybe and to get a new core pressed into the old one?

Oh see your note about prop compatibility. Id have called Mike at South Coast oytboard as he'd know for sure but I don't know if he's still there . He has encyclopaedia knowledge of all things johnson evinrude and probably sold engines in 78 !

BigBuoysToys England
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 04 Jun 2020, 08:32
Boat Make: Honda Honweave T40 AE2
Outboard: Volvo Penta 35hp
Evinrude 25hp
Seagull
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Help, 1972 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Saga

Post by BigBuoysToys » 08 Jul 2020, 15:45

Thanks for your reply. Yes, a very testy job but even though the shaft is saved its left the prop with a couple of 2 cm chips and no core. I remember having a chipped prop repaired years ago. Is it still done? I imagine a new core would be a bit costly so looking for another one.

How would I contact Mike? I've called a few 'old' Evinrude places and they all seem to moving into the new stuff. Can't blame them really. One even told me that when thet moved premises and decided to go newer gear they literally left all their old stock in the previous place for the new tenants (Antique Dealers) to dispose of - Tragic!

I seem to be solving one thing and creating another to be solved but that is sometimes the case with the older engine. It keeps you on your toes. Thanks again.

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Help, 1972 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Saga

Post by ChrisParish » 08 Jul 2020, 15:55

Crowley Marine in the US have the prop in stock in a 9x9 and stock expected soon for the 9x10

https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/2072.cfm
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

BigBuoysToys England
I'm New
Posts: 7
Joined: 04 Jun 2020, 08:32
Boat Make: Honda Honweave T40 AE2
Outboard: Volvo Penta 35hp
Evinrude 25hp
Seagull
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Boston
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Help, 1972 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Saga

Post by BigBuoysToys » 08 Jul 2020, 16:22

Thank you for that, I had spotted it but trying for a little less outlay.

Thanks anyway.

PeterM
Super Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 14:53
Location: Bournemouth & Poole
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Help, 1972 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp Saga

Post by PeterM » 08 Jul 2020, 18:35

A call and if possible only speak to Mike...
Attachments
Screenshot_20200708-193302_Samsung Internet.jpg

Post Reply

Return to “Outboards”