let me out
-
Roy54
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 310
- Joined: 26 Nov 2018, 19:04
- Boat Make: Zodiac Pro 500
- Outboard: Yamaha 60 EFI
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Southampton
- Has thanked: 124 times
- Been thanked: 74 times
Re: let me out
@S@sonny1 I think we all want to get out for a jolly, but there is the problem. I know that you and I and probably the majority of people would go out with the best of intentions about social distancing and safety etc. Everything that we do on a day out could effect something or someone else which in turn could spread this horrible virus. Transmission via petrol pumps, door handles, public toilets, pay and display machines etc, the list is endless. While the risks can be mitigated by for instance the wearing of gloves, the virus could still be transferred by said gloves from surface to surface. I have been working through some of the lock down and have to admit there have been several times such as when Im biting into a sandwich I've realised I hadn't sanitised my hands just before eating. With the best intentions it is still so easy to forget. I'm with you Sonny, I would love to go out, but there would be too many people who would just "go for it" without thinking through the consequences of what they were doing.
I think the restrictions will be partially lifted by June to allow for leisure boating provided the Covid curve continues to fall away.
Stay safe everyone, Roy
I think the restrictions will be partially lifted by June to allow for leisure boating provided the Covid curve continues to fall away.
Stay safe everyone, Roy
-
sonny1
- Super Poster
- Posts: 864
- Joined: 29 Mar 2019, 17:29
- Boat Make: xs 515
- Outboard: mercury f60 elpt
- MMSI Number: 232027436
- Location: hitchin ,herts
- Has thanked: 709 times
- Been thanked: 204 times
Re: let me out
ok , i get that not everybody will be as careful as they could be but all the points @Roy54 you mention and subsequent possible scenarios are possible whether boating or mountaineering or whatever pasttime you care to mention . but there is always a bigger picture and regardless of the consequenses i think that the sooner some sort of normality is resumed the better because i firmly believe there will be no economy to return to, a depression the like of which has not been seen . i know people who have been furloughed have told me they hope it goes on indefinitely. eighty % of pay for doing nothing . it makes a mockery of the poor sods who have to carry on or in my case laid off self employed who will get nothing because i get a state pension (which i defy anyone to live on). any death is a tragedy but half the casualties would have died anyway so on that basis recalculate the figures and the % are miniscule. dont misunderstand me , these are worrying times and i think everyone has coped well . lets just see what sunday brings . and dont any body mention herd immunity or sweden to me ..... tin hat firmly back on,,,,, lets av it , i can take it . 
-
Shaun
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 05 Mar 2018, 15:15
- Boat Make: F-Rib 430
- Outboard: Evinrude E-Tec 30
- Location: Epsom
- Has thanked: 37 times
- Been thanked: 18 times
Re: let me out
On a side note, Golf might be back on the cards from next week. And anyone within 5km from the ocean would be able to go boating i guess. Sucks that im 100km away.
-
Roy54
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 310
- Joined: 26 Nov 2018, 19:04
- Boat Make: Zodiac Pro 500
- Outboard: Yamaha 60 EFI
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Southampton
- Has thanked: 124 times
- Been thanked: 74 times
Re: let me out
@S@sonny1 I must admit I have been lucky so far, working after lock down, then Furloughed 3 weeks now back to work again. I may indeed have a different view if I was self employed or had no money coming in , and I really feel for those in that situation (I was self employed for 16 years). Whether or not we agree with the lock down, we can be sure the government won't want this to last any longer than they think is necessary. I wouldn't want to be the one to decide when that is.
Let's hope for some good news soon.
Roy
Let's hope for some good news soon.
Roy
-
Roy54
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 310
- Joined: 26 Nov 2018, 19:04
- Boat Make: Zodiac Pro 500
- Outboard: Yamaha 60 EFI
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Southampton
- Has thanked: 124 times
- Been thanked: 74 times
-
Roy54
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 310
- Joined: 26 Nov 2018, 19:04
- Boat Make: Zodiac Pro 500
- Outboard: Yamaha 60 EFI
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Southampton
- Has thanked: 124 times
- Been thanked: 74 times
Re: let me out
@MadnessOfTheSeas The photos are from the Isle of Wight ferry just about to leave Cowes, on my way back from work.
-
PeterM
- Super Poster
- Posts: 841
- Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 14:53
- Location: Bournemouth & Poole
- Has thanked: 70 times
- Been thanked: 254 times
Re: let me out
I feel for everyone right now.. either working, not working , self employed, furloughed or not etc etc.
This is a world changing event.
I know the rnli are concerned about a huge number of boats on the water for the first time this year as soon as the rules allow ( I spoke to poole launching authority guy yesterday) ... the coastguard teams are stood down... and this nice weather will lull peeps until thinking it's hot and sunny on the water ( it still won't be) .
I do feel the country needs to get back to work to have something to work on and with, but at what cost?
The press are running a story that a lot will go with ( from Monday you can go out) that the govt may not back up..... which will cause a nightmare situation all round
This is a world changing event.
I know the rnli are concerned about a huge number of boats on the water for the first time this year as soon as the rules allow ( I spoke to poole launching authority guy yesterday) ... the coastguard teams are stood down... and this nice weather will lull peeps until thinking it's hot and sunny on the water ( it still won't be) .
I do feel the country needs to get back to work to have something to work on and with, but at what cost?
The press are running a story that a lot will go with ( from Monday you can go out) that the govt may not back up..... which will cause a nightmare situation all round
-
Roy54
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 310
- Joined: 26 Nov 2018, 19:04
- Boat Make: Zodiac Pro 500
- Outboard: Yamaha 60 EFI
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Southampton
- Has thanked: 124 times
- Been thanked: 74 times
Re: let me out
Some commentators have compared this situation with the war. I believe the war lasted some 5 years or so and whilst not having a direct impact on Britain for all of that , being asked to change our way of life for a few months has no comparison. If we jump to soon we could end up not boating for a year or more. 





