Green Boater looking for guidance!

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
HiltonHeadMatt United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 30 Apr 2020, 21:46
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Hilton Head Island
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Green Boater looking for guidance!

Post by HiltonHeadMatt » 30 Apr 2020, 22:34

Hey Y'all glad to be here! Here is a little info on why I am here and some background, Cheers!

Mission: Looking for a boat for general purpose solo exploration/nature sighting, some recreational crabbing/shell fishing as well as the occasional hook/line fishing, local overnight camping and passenger cruises(no more than 3 adults total).

Location: Hilton Head Island, South Carolina USA - Unlike most coastal areas, there is no crisp divide between land and water here. Instead, our salt water creeks,rivers, inlets etc are flanked by miles of tidal salt marsh. Some with sandy banks but most complete with a fortress of razor sharp oyster beds surrounding and within.

Climate: 100f+/38c+ with 100% humidity in Summer / Rarely if ever gets to Freezing in Winter

Storage: Must be somewhat manageable to disassemble and store indoors or partially disassemble and store in 6ft truck bed (potentially on a over bed/cab rack?) Mainly because I am already stretching the budget for the setup and I really don't want to have to pay for a trailer and monthly storage space also. Plus I hear the glue and PVC does not like extreme heat/UV so storing it indoors between uses must be good for the boat in the respect?

Background: Skilled on a Paddle board, have made a 8 mile trip across open waters (tidal river mouth 4 miles to another island then back) So I am comfortable on a small vessel but have absolutely 0 boating/motor experience. And I am dying to explore further without dying of exhaustion! :D


Sorry got a little carried away! Maybe I should save the rest for the forums :oops: Looking forward to getting out further than my paddle board could ever take me! Cheers and happy boating!

HiltonHeadMatt

HiltonHeadMatt United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 30 Apr 2020, 21:46
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Hilton Head Island
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Green Boater looking for guidance!

Post by HiltonHeadMatt » 01 May 2020, 00:28

After reviewing forums and youtube endlessly for hours and hours I think I'm close to decided on a Zodiac Cadet RIB Alu 330 or 360 with 15hp 4 stroke Tohatsu Fuel injected model...mostly to protect from so many razor sharp oysters. The price is not much different than the Zodiac Cadet SIB w/ Alu sectional decking and the RIB is actually lighter!

The ONLY problem I see is - can I manhandle the awkward RIB (about 3m deflated) upstairs into my place to store (ill just deal with having a cool boat in the spare bedroom i guess hahah) Ill go make a post on this tomorrow when I can take some pictures for reference. Cheers y'all getting stoked!

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Green Boater looking for guidance!

Post by ChrisParish » 01 May 2020, 06:40

Hey there HiltonHeadMatt!

3m is tiny on the water but very large in a stairway! I totally see why you want the rib, to give yourself some protection from the oysters. Storage is definitely your main issue here and I can’t advise much as I haven’t seen one of these ribs deflated. However, if you could sort out some alternative storage have you look at boats which are rotomolded from polypropylene? They aren’t very easy to get hold of in some places but they are essentially indestructible and would be immune to sharp oysters, jaggedy ol’ rocks and alligator bites!
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
Sarah (01 May 2020, 13:14)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

HiltonHeadMatt United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 30 Apr 2020, 21:46
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Hilton Head Island
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Green Boater looking for guidance!

Post by HiltonHeadMatt » 01 May 2020, 06:58

Thank you for the response Chris! There don't seem to be many of those around but if you have a link, even if its not available in USA I would def check em out. I like the idea that while bulky at least a RIB can kind of lean against a well somewhere inside - although maybe i could store the roto plastic boat in the television room and watch movies in the boat hahah

I think I am onto something though - for the 3.3 or 3.6 meter RIB storage. For the cost of about 3 months storage space I am thinking about getting one of these and hoisting it right to my front door Image

:) I am gonna take some pictures and post the idea tomorrow for review haha

Cheers - thank you again!

HiltonHeadMatt United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 30 Apr 2020, 21:46
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Hilton Head Island
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Green Boater looking for guidance!

Post by HiltonHeadMatt » 01 May 2020, 07:01

Before I do that do you mind telling how to make pictures smaller? :help

thanks - cheers!

sonny1 England
Super Poster
Posts: 864
Joined: 29 Mar 2019, 17:29
Boat Make: xs 515
Outboard: mercury f60 elpt
MMSI Number: 232027436
Location: hitchin ,herts
Has thanked: 709 times
Been thanked: 204 times

Re: Green Boater looking for guidance!

Post by sonny1 » 01 May 2020, 08:56

i dont believe it . ive never heard of hilton head island until this morning when i read your profile . i then go onto facebook and the first thing i see are some security guards removing a huge alligator called george from someones garden !!! where? , hilton head island . was it your garden @HiltonHeadMatt

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Green Boater looking for guidance!

Post by harrison » 01 May 2020, 11:24

This is a nutty one.

Agree with @ChrisParish that ideally one of the virtually indestructible rotomoulded poly boats from say Rigiflex, Whaly, Pioneer or Polycraft would be ideal for regular kissing razor sharp oyster beds. Also acknowledge they’re heavy and non folding so probably of no use to you anyway. Pretty sure I’ve seen a sectional roto poly boat somewhere out there, but can’t recall where at the moment. Nestaway here in the UK do sectional rigid boats and canoes, but none really suitable for spirited coastal use.

See why you’re drawn to the ally hull ribs but the tubes particularly at the rear will still be in the water and prone to damage, more so at non planing speeds. You could always add full length heavy duty wear pads/liners under the waterline to act as a sacrificial layer. Many commercial grade sibs have these. For serious water line protection have a look at the Russian Solar jet boat sibs which are designed to tackle rocky river rapids and shallows. Insane.

To accommodate your storage issues have you considered an FRib. Still need to seriously protect u/s of toobs, but at least it has a rigid hull and folds up.

Out of interest what do others use in your neck of the woods?
A ‘tinny’ springs to my mind....as good for marshes and creeks etc.
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

eddzoid Scotland
Active Member
Posts: 55
Joined: 21 Jan 2020, 08:02
MMSI Number: 10
Location: DEREHAM
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Green Boater looking for guidance!

Post by eddzoid » 01 May 2020, 14:38

Nautical Ventures
50 South Bryan Rd,
Dania Beach, FL 33004
Directions | Website
Phone: 954-926-5250
Fax: 954-926-5249
Email: frib@foldablerib.com

Try these guys. I bought my FRIB360 on finance in the UK.


Map data ©2020 Google, INEGI
Terms of Use



Map
These users thanked the author eddzoid for the post:
HiltonHeadMatt (01 May 2020, 16:39)

HiltonHeadMatt United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 30 Apr 2020, 21:46
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Hilton Head Island
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Green Boater looking for guidance!

Post by HiltonHeadMatt » 01 May 2020, 15:30

eddzoid wrote: ↑
01 May 2020, 14:38
Nautical Ventures
50 South Bryan Rd,
Dania Beach, FL 33004
O hey! You're on the other forum too, thanks!! As I mentioned there unfortunately they are double to cost of the zodiacs - unless i absolutely cant store a RIB i think they are out of the budget :(

Cheers!

HiltonHeadMatt United States of America
I'm New
Posts: 15
Joined: 30 Apr 2020, 21:46
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Hilton Head Island
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Green Boater looking for guidance!

Post by HiltonHeadMatt » 01 May 2020, 15:39

sonny1 wrote: ↑
01 May 2020, 08:56
i dont believe it . ive never heard of hilton head island until this morning when i read your profile . i then go onto facebook and the first thing i see are some security guards removing a huge alligator called george from someones garden !!! where? , hilton head island . was it your garden?
hhaha no, they only remove them once they get bigger than 10 ft (about the size of the RIB I am looking at come to think of it! :help ) lol
This is my little guy in the pond 5 meters off the back porch at my parents house. Probably over 1 meter but under 2m. Image

They are rarely if ever in the salt water though and mostly occupy the brakish ponds and rivers and golf course water hazards! We do have Bulls, Tigers, Hammerheads and Whites around though - almost always a bit off shore.

Now you see why I started getting so concerned about a rigid hull! I figure with any puncture emergency a rigid hull will struggle back to safety better than a SIB?

hahah Cheers!

O and Hilton Head is on the South Eastern United States coast in the State of South Carolina. About a 2 hour drive from the deep swamps in Florida/Georgia the Okefenokee Swamp etc
These users thanked the author HiltonHeadMatt for the post:
sonny1 (01 May 2020, 15:44)

Post Reply

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”