What did you do to or with your boat today?

The Bar...
Chat about anything here (within reason) Please keep it polite and PC
User avatar
9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Posts: 932
Joined: 12 Feb 2016, 13:56
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI
Location: The Republic of Texas
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: What did you do to or with your boat today?

Post by 9-R » 06 Jun 2019, 15:20

With our darkside boat, we've been fighting the never ending battle with mold and mildew on the deck, console and cushions. After trying different types of covers and storage locations, I think our biggest cause is that the boat is stored while still being wet in some areas. As much as we try to dry it before hand, it is inevitable that there are still some areas that remain damp/wet.

I've read of several others using fans with success but all of them had electrical outlets available to them which we do not at our storage location. Did some research and calculations and pulled the trigger on building my own solar fan. Got a solar panel, efficient 5-inch PC fan, 12v battery and controller and used some miscellaneous components had laying around the garage. The idea is for the fan to draw in fresh air from the outside through various parts of the boat cover and push the old, through the vent, outside.

I've only tested it for several days at home and hope to try it out on our boat in a couple of weeks. Was surprised at how much air the fan moved with only a 0.1A draw. Keeping my fingers crossed.
IMG_20190604_190750_800.jpg
IMG_20190604_191424_800.jpg
IMG_20190604_191526_800.jpg
IMG_20190604_191714_800.jpg
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: What did you do to or with your boat today?

Post by ChrisParish » 06 Jun 2019, 18:17

Looking good! Impressive work and I look forward to hearing your results.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Posts: 932
Joined: 12 Feb 2016, 13:56
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI
Location: The Republic of Texas
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: What did you do to or with your boat today?

Post by 9-R » 15 Jul 2019, 15:14

ChrisParish wrote: ↑
06 Jun 2019, 18:17
Looking good! Impressive work and I look forward to hearing your results.
It's been a month with a lot more rain than normal. It's been very humid and muggy. Prime time for us to experience mildew. Family went up to take the boat out. Peaked under the cover and the fan was still running. Pulled the cover off and for the first time ever, absolutely NO MOLD!!! I was ecstatic! There was a pool of water sitting on the starboard aft seat pocket that I think seeped through the cover but even that didn't have any mold which was hard for me to believe. I'm stoked.

Now all I have to do is repair the scratch along the bow of the boat that my wife created when she accidently drove it up against the corner of a concrete dock. Ugh....
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

Barnowl Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 13
Joined: 23 Jul 2019, 20:06
Boat Make: Seasearch 380
Outboard: Mercury f 15hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Launceston
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: What did you do to or with your boat today?

Post by Barnowl » 24 Sep 2019, 18:29

So today I bought a new landing net for the boat
Bought a new jockey wheel for the trailer and booked the skipper on a vhf course.

stevexxxuk Wales
Active Member
Posts: 72
Joined: 07 Sep 2019, 22:11
Boat Make: F-rib 330, Bonwitco 14'
Outboard: Tanaka 1.2hp, Yamaha 6hp,
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Aberystwyth
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: What did you do to or with your boat today?

Post by stevexxxuk » 21 Oct 2019, 15:50

Fixed the leaking valve on Fribee, no more hissing...
:pump ..

Essexkayak1 Great Britain
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 31
Joined: 08 Jun 2020, 20:03
Boat Make: Honwave T32 IE
Outboard: Honda 6hp
MMSI Number: 235923173
Location: Essex England
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: What did you do to or with your boat today?

Post by Essexkayak1 » 04 Aug 2020, 21:08

I stuck some nuts to the end of some screws that stick out on my tiller extender so its less of a puncture risk when its not on the tiller

User avatar
9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Posts: 932
Joined: 12 Feb 2016, 13:56
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI
Location: The Republic of Texas
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: What did you do to or with your boat today?

Post by 9-R » 06 Aug 2020, 13:38

ChrisParish wrote: ↑
06 Jun 2019, 18:17
Looking good! Impressive work and I look forward to hearing your results.
Had a notification for this thread so I thought I'd update. I had added another fan of the same size in the plastic box. The charger had fried after about 2 months so it now keeps it cooler and adds air flow. Still working well after a year.
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

NeilJ England
I'm New
Posts: 16
Joined: 23 Jun 2020, 18:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32
Outboard: Mariner 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Chard S, Somerset
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: What did you do to or with your boat today?

Post by NeilJ » 06 Aug 2020, 16:27

Fish finder 'Garmin Striker 4 Plus cv arrived, now to fabricate a transducer mount from a plastic cutting board to clear the airdeck on a Honwave.

Alan United States of America
Advanced Member
Posts: 174
Joined: 29 Jun 2018, 13:18
Boat Make: F-Rib 375
Outboard: 2018 Mercury 20 HP Short Shaft
MMSI Number: 1
Location: Farmington Hill Michigan USA
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: What did you do to or with your boat today?

Post by Alan » 05 Oct 2020, 15:03

With air temperatures at 32 F or 0 C on Saturday and Sunday I pulled the motor and folded up the F375. Its a much sadder day on lake Huron. The motor is in the back of the vehicle and on it's way to the dealer for the 3rd season required maintenance which will probably add to the sad and be expensive! The addition of a storage shed over the summer allowed me to quickly fold up the boat with the transom wheel on and simply roll it into the shed and shut the door. :D At least that worked out as planed.

Bigplumbs
Veteran Member
Posts: 467
Joined: 02 Sep 2017, 06:10
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Suffolk UK
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: What did you do to or with your boat today?

Post by Bigplumbs » 25 Oct 2020, 05:51

Alan wrote: ↑
05 Oct 2020, 15:03
With air temperatures at 32 F or 0 C on Saturday and Sunday I pulled the motor and folded up the F375. Its a much sadder day on lake Huron. The motor is in the back of the vehicle and on it's way to the dealer for the 3rd season required maintenance which will probably add to the sad and be expensive! The addition of a storage shed over the summer allowed me to quickly fold up the boat with the transom wheel on and simply roll it into the shed and shut the door. :D At least that worked out as planed.
Yes always ad when you pack them away for winter. I leave mine up (in the UK) in the hope I will get out a couple of times in the winter... I seldom do though

Post Reply

Return to “Inflatable Boat Help, Advice, Discussions and General Boating Banter”