Honawave t35ae shaft lenght

Post Reply
Muza Finland
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Mar 2019, 18:14
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Oulu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Honawave t35ae shaft lenght

Post by Muza » 06 Mar 2019, 18:36

Hello,

I bought new tohatsu 5hp four stroke outboard. It is short shaft but lenght is 17inch or 44cm. Ideal shaft lenght is 38cm..right? Is there engine where short shaft lenght is 38cm? I looked new honda motors and short shaft is also 434mm. What is your shaft lenght what you use honawave?

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Honawave t35ae shaft lenght

Post by Martin » 06 Mar 2019, 23:39

Hi Muza,
A short shaft outboard mesures in between 15" and 17".. they do vary slightly depending on year of manufacture and the actual manufacturer.
If you can get the cavitation plate in line or there abouts with the lower section of the hull, thats about right.
You may need to pop a small piece of flat wood on top of the transom and lower the engine onto the wood to raise the outboard height/
If you do need to do that, ensure the outboard will clamp correctly and safely to the transom.

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Honawave t35ae shaft lenght

Post by harrison » 07 Mar 2019, 12:04

To be honest I think you’ll find all new/modern outboards will be very close to or just under 17” Anything close to 15” will probably date back to the eighties.

As Martin suggested, add a packer on the transom under the clamp. I’ve certainly not had a modern boat/motor combination that didn’t need or benefit from this.
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

Muza Finland
I'm New
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Mar 2019, 18:14
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Oulu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Honawave t35ae shaft lenght

Post by Muza » 07 Mar 2019, 17:07

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup I have to wait a couple of months to test drive new motor because sea is frozen here.

Post Reply

Return to “Honwave”