After looking around for a decent 2nd hand SIB/boat bunk trailer it became apparent it wasn't going to cheap and likely to need a few ££'s to get it 'up to scratch' wheel bearing wise.
It struck me that motorcycle trailers weren't a lot different in design and none of them would have been likely be 'dunked' into water
A look of fleabay brought this 350kg capacity 'as new' twin bike trailer local to me for £200 so the deal was done
I placed the boat onto the trailer and by using 4 axel stands I positioned the SIB at the height and angle I desired to let me operate the launching wheels, get the transom in line over the rear beam as I was going to transport the boat with the outboard attached using a home made transom saver. This also gave me the position the adjustable bunk boards needed to be located to support the tubes correctly. Now that I knew the width and length the bunks need to be set at I got some 50x30mm box section to mount across the trailer, the off cuts made the up rights and some 'U' bolts secured them into position. All that remained was to piece it all together, extend the draw bar, make the 'A' frame to mount the winch, carpet the bunks and place a couple of boards to support the keel which would also give me something to walk along during launching/retrieval.
Costs, trailer £200, box section, new spare wheel and tyre, new winch with strap and hook, stainless 'U' bolts, various stainless bolts, carpet off-cut, roller for the keel, jockey wheel all came in at £100. So 2 days work and I had a bespoke new trailer for £300
The trailer hasn't needed to be 'dunked' in any water as yet because I back the rig up to the waters edge, swing down the launch wheels, drop the jockey wheel, wind the front of the trailer with it still attached to the vehicle approx 2 inches and then the launch wheels are in contact with the ground. I lift the front of the boat and it rolls on the keel roller while I push it off....simples
Here's a photo of what I mean If was to do it again I think I'd look out for the collapsible single bike trailer here http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike_trailers.asp
150kg is adequate for our needs
Hope that the above makes some sense
Paul




