Outboard troubles

All things outboard related here!
4 Stroke, 2 Stroke & Electric
Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by Andy B » 01 Mar 2018, 07:31

FishingAgain wrote: Its a 2002 Mercury 15 and I've been sold a wrongun but we live and learn.
Don't be so hard on yourself, looks ok to me.
Just needs a bit of servicing :D


FishingAgain wrote: Can you recommend where to get the parts from.
Where are you based?
There's always eBay :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUICKSILVER- ... SwXf1aU2dY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCURY-MARI ... Sw5ZtaYfjn

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-21Pcs-Ha ... SwXtNaWcCi

User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 01 Mar 2018, 11:01

Andy B wrote:
FishingAgain wrote: Its a 2002 Mercury 15 and I've been sold a wrongun but we live and learn.
Don't be so hard on yourself, looks ok to me.
Just needs a bit of servicing :D


FishingAgain wrote: Can you recommend where to get the parts from.
Where are you based?
There's always eBay :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUICKSILVER- ... SwXf1aU2dY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCURY-MARI ... Sw5ZtaYfjn

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-21Pcs-Ha ... SwXtNaWcCi
Warlinham Surrey.
Ebay and plancraft

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 01 Mar 2018, 17:17

Ok the oil looks like that![emoji17] the water pipe up to the engine had a plastic thing placed over the copper pipe but this clearly isn't the right bit? The plate under the impeller is bent does this matter? The housing to the impeller is worn slightly and there were 2 plastic washers either side of impeller? Impeller was trashed lol. Cleaned everything up and now to order parts and pressure thingy.

Thanks all.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by Andy B » 01 Mar 2018, 19:23

Yep, that oil is about what i was expecting
Good news is it's a different colour to the oil you had around the prop. ;-)

The impeller does look worn, but nowhere near as bad as some i've seen?
That should still have pumped water.
The wear plate will need straightening or replacing.
My question would be why does the connecting sleeve (plastic tube on top of the pump housing) and the bottom if the water tube have tool mark on them?

I'm wondering if they were aligned and connected properly last time the gearbox was fitted?

http://www.sterndrive.info/mercury-outb ... awing.html

User avatar
daveh
Active Member
Posts: 109
Joined: 01 Jul 2016, 07:31
Boat Make: Seapro 340
Outboard: Mercury 9.9 2 Smoke
Suzuki 15hp 4 Stroke
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by daveh » 01 Mar 2018, 19:40

Dangar Stu is the man, his vids are excellent.

User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 01 Mar 2018, 19:46

Andy B wrote:Yep, that oil is about what i was expecting
Good news is it's a different colour to the oil you had around the prop. ;-)

The impeller does look worn, but nowhere near as bad as some i've seen?
That should still have pumped water.
The wear plate will need straightening or replacing.
My question would be why does the connecting sleeve (plastic tube on top of the pump housing) and the bottom if the water tube have tool mark on them?

I'm wondering if they were aligned and connected properly last time the gearbox was fitted?

http://www.sterndrive.info/mercury-outb ... awing.html
So that connecting sleeve is the right part albeit cut or damaged like it is. I have found and printed the pic you have linked before you sent message (thats strange) but i can't find the sleeve for sale sperately..
I have got the impeller housing for 17 quid as the grommet was worn.
I'll look for the plate etc (good old ebay)


Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 01 Mar 2018, 19:47

daveh wrote:Dangar Stu is the man, his vids are excellent.
Watched loads of his defo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by Andy B » 02 Mar 2018, 11:59

Just had a thought,
Was the woodruff key in place when you took it apart?

User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 03 Mar 2018, 09:07

Andy B wrote:Just had a thought,
Was the woodruff key in place when you took it apart?
Yes it was in and it looks in good condition

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User avatar
FishingAgain
I'm New
Posts: 23
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 12:15
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Outboard troubles

Post by FishingAgain » 03 Mar 2018, 15:17

Under very little pressure frim small bike pump. It leaks easily from the gear rod. Am i taking the housing base off or just replacing the grommet. Cheers guys or Andy [emoji12][emoji106]Imagehttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a9abb3ba84 ... 150319.mp4

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Return to “Outboards”