Big Ass Bow Dodger

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Big Ass Bow Dodger

Post by kaman » 19 Jan 2018, 17:28

I recently trialed my wee Cocker Spaniel pup in the T3.8 on my local Loch .
I am pleased that she absolutely loved it. :mrgreen:
That got me to thinking that the sea is a different creature to a flat calm fresh water loch.
I dont intend going to sea with the dog if it's rough but appreciate you can't always predict when the brine will kick up.
With this in mind I thought that a wind and water tight cuddy / dodger would be good for her to seek refuge on her bean bag.
I set about bodging together a big ass bow dodger made from an off cut of heavy duty tarp.
20180112_122807.jpg
Tarp pinned to tent pole and weighted forward with bricks.
20180112_122752.jpg
Dodger from bow right back to seat. Loads of room underneath.
20180114_150056.jpg
Checking on proceedings.
20180118_174833-1.jpg
Unfortunately snow arrived before project was complete

Around 4 hours time to construct - cheap as chips.
Truly cavernous inside.
Plenty of room inside to load up for camping etc.
Hopefully will get the use out of it this coming season :drive
Attachments
20180118_175400-1.jpg
Bit of tinkering required but 95% done .
These users thanked the author kaman for the post:
BigMac (03 Apr 2023, 15:16)

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Big Ass Bow Dodger

Post by Paul B » 19 Jan 2018, 17:43

That’s one big assed cover mate, cracking job :thumbsup
Wind behind and you won’t even need the engine :lol:
These users thanked the author Paul B for the post:
Frankie (28 Aug 2025, 18:02)

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Big Ass Bow Dodger

Post by Andy B » 19 Jan 2018, 19:11

like that :thumbsup
Whats wrong with your garden? seems to have changed colour........

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Big Ass Bow Dodger

Post by kaman » 19 Jan 2018, 22:29

Paul B wrote:That’s one big assed cover mate, cracking job :thumbsup
Wind behind and you won’t even need the engine :lol:
Yup Paul B hoping a healthy tail wind will help me keep up with them Fribby things at the WWA :lol:
I'm actually adding another tuck away section which can be deployed in $h!t weather.
That'll come back an extra couple of feet to cover my chart plotter / sounder etc.
I'll be able to hide behind it with my head poking up to see where I'm going.
Probably rattle another section to cover the whole sib so I can use it as a make shift tent :star

Hi Andy - the snow had been a royal pain in the arse.
Think the worst of it has past now :thumbsup
These users thanked the author kaman for the post:
Frankie (28 Aug 2025, 18:04)

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Big Ass Bow Dodger

Post by Andy B » 19 Jan 2018, 22:34

kaman wrote:
Hi Andy - the snow had been a royal pain in the arse.
Think the worst of it has past now :thumbsup
Tell me about it, i had to de-ice the windscreen this morning!!!

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Big Ass Bow Dodger

Post by Paul B » 19 Jan 2018, 22:35

kaman wrote:
Paul B wrote:That’s one big assed cover mate, cracking job :thumbsup
Wind behind and you won’t even need the engine :lol:
Yup Paul B hoping a healthy tail wind will help me keep up with them Fribby things at the WWA :lol:
I'm actually adding another tuck away section which can be deployed in $h!t weather.
That'll come back an extra couple of feet to cover my chart plotter / sounder etc.
I'll be able to hide behind it with my head poking up to see where I'm going.
Probably rattle another section to cover the whole sib so I can use it as a make shift tent :star

Hi Andy - the snow had been a royal pain in the arse.
Think the worst of it has past now :thumbsup
Aren’t you supposed to get a load more dumped on you tonight as well :lol:

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Big Ass Bow Dodger

Post by kaman » 19 Jan 2018, 22:41

Hope not!
Meant to stop around midnight according to Met Office.

Mitch England
Veteran Member
Posts: 575
Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Swindon
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Big Ass Bow Dodger

Post by Mitch » 20 Jan 2018, 11:13

That's looks great Kaman, wish I could sow that would have saved me a few bob but I bought mine just have to try it out now.
Found this one, all you would need is some wipers off a citreon 2cv & your well away.
Biminni.jpg

User avatar
James England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1115
Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 12:25
Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355
Location: Copthorne, West Sussex
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 61 times
Contact:

Re: Big Ass Bow Dodger

Post by James » 24 Jan 2018, 08:52

Mitch wrote:That's looks great Kaman, wish I could sow that would have saved me a few bob but I bought mine just have to try it out now.
Found this one, all you would need is some wipers off a citreon 2cv & your well away.
Biminni.jpg
I just hope the wind doesn't come on strong while out at sea lol

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid

bun Scotland
Advanced Member
Posts: 185
Joined: 14 May 2018, 08:46
Boat Make: boatworld 330 v floor
Outboard: tohatsu 4stroke 6hp
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Edinburgh
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Big Ass Bow Dodger

Post by bun » 10 Dec 2022, 19:37

IM TRYING TO MAKE A DIY BOW DODGER 14 inch hight also two rods onto the bow and have an old tent with the clear plastic on it& A Zip up the front wher the old ten had ben so whish me luck lol IM USING OLD TENT RIDGID POLES
These users thanked the author bun for the post:
Martin (15 Dec 2022, 09:16)

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”