Boat, engine & age
-
Mitch
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 575
- Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
- Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
- Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Swindon
- Has thanked: 118 times
- Been thanked: 113 times
Boat, engine & age
I originally wanted a Honwave T40 but when i looked at them i felt it was going to be too heavy to pull up slipways as i'm in my 60's & not as strong as i used to be (maybe i should go to the gym) so i got the T38 which is considerably lighter but still a weight of 52 Kgs (no problem i thought, thats just over a bag of cement) but it's the bulk which doesn't make it easy & the 20HP engine comes in at about the same so i needed to get the boat & engine into the car & out the other end with with the least amount of struggle & strain to myself. When i got the setup i manhandled the boat into the back of the car & pushed & pulled against the carpet to get it in position then did the same with the engine on its side. Apart from struggling with all this which made me sweat abit it was going to ruin the carpet floor in my car, i have a c class merc estate which isn't very high & getting inside moving the gear around wasn't easy.
Decided to come up with a solution to my problems as i wanted the boat trips to be a pleasure not scorting my gutts out getting it in & out of the car so this is what i came up with & now no heavy lifting, no pushing/pulling, now it is a pleasure cause its so easy.
Boat
got myself a pair of sack trucks to take boat out off the car to the shed down the garden, 3mm hardboard on the boot floor so when i get the other end for a launch slide out of the boot with ease, lower down & tip end over end to the position i want to inflate, easy, boat sorted.
Engine
Modyfied an old BOC gas cyl trolley i was going to get rid of I found this was great for flushing the engine but was no good for getting in/out of the car. so made up trolley & wheels for the transom brackets for moving engine & getting into car. now all i have to do is move engine into position & tip the engine over so its resting on the rear of the boot now lift prop end of engine & slide in on wheels, so easy now & its cut the time it takes to load gear in the car
Decided to come up with a solution to my problems as i wanted the boat trips to be a pleasure not scorting my gutts out getting it in & out of the car so this is what i came up with & now no heavy lifting, no pushing/pulling, now it is a pleasure cause its so easy.
Boat
got myself a pair of sack trucks to take boat out off the car to the shed down the garden, 3mm hardboard on the boot floor so when i get the other end for a launch slide out of the boot with ease, lower down & tip end over end to the position i want to inflate, easy, boat sorted.
Engine
Modyfied an old BOC gas cyl trolley i was going to get rid of I found this was great for flushing the engine but was no good for getting in/out of the car. so made up trolley & wheels for the transom brackets for moving engine & getting into car. now all i have to do is move engine into position & tip the engine over so its resting on the rear of the boot now lift prop end of engine & slide in on wheels, so easy now & its cut the time it takes to load gear in the car
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Boat, engine & age
That looks nifty buddy, very similar to andy b's idea...
I am a little worried though, as that's a 4 stroke, should it really be stored in such a way?
I am a little worried though, as that's a 4 stroke, should it really be stored in such a way?
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
- Paul
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 3056
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
- Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
- Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
- MMSI Number: 235915479
- Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
- Has thanked: 459 times
- Been thanked: 356 times
Re: Boat, engine & age
I suppose it depends if the recommended full tilt of the OB on a transom has been exceededMartin wrote:I am a little worried though, as that's a 4 stroke, should it really be stored in such a way?
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
Re: Boat, engine & age
Looks like a neat way of taking the strain out of getting the outboard in to the car.
I would be very worried about having to slam the anchors on and the out board catapulting forward and decapitating me or pushing me head first through the windscreen.
I think the manual suggests transporting tiller side down on the 20hp Mariner / Mercury / Tohatsu 4 stroke.
The position depicted is pretty close to the engine when fully raised on the transom.
Time will tell if this is a suitable long haul transport position.
I'd want the engine well strapped down before driving the car thats for sure.
I carry my Honwave t3.8 in my VW Tiguan by lying it across the rear seat which I fold flat.
I load the sib in via one of the of the back doors.
My Tohatsu 20hp goes in the boot tiller side down and lies horizontally across the boot space.
I use ratchet straps on the factory fitted anchor points in the boot to secure both sib and outboard from moving during transit
I had the misfortune to be hit in the back of the head by my mates Wire Haired German Pointer after he had to slam on the brakes due to some idiot in the road in front of us. The dog was in the boot but the rear seat wasn't properly locked in the upright position.
That hurt like hell God knows how sore being hit by 52kg of metal would be
I would be very worried about having to slam the anchors on and the out board catapulting forward and decapitating me or pushing me head first through the windscreen.
I think the manual suggests transporting tiller side down on the 20hp Mariner / Mercury / Tohatsu 4 stroke.
The position depicted is pretty close to the engine when fully raised on the transom.
Time will tell if this is a suitable long haul transport position.
I'd want the engine well strapped down before driving the car thats for sure.
I carry my Honwave t3.8 in my VW Tiguan by lying it across the rear seat which I fold flat.
I load the sib in via one of the of the back doors.
My Tohatsu 20hp goes in the boot tiller side down and lies horizontally across the boot space.
I use ratchet straps on the factory fitted anchor points in the boot to secure both sib and outboard from moving during transit
I had the misfortune to be hit in the back of the head by my mates Wire Haired German Pointer after he had to slam on the brakes due to some idiot in the road in front of us. The dog was in the boot but the rear seat wasn't properly locked in the upright position.
That hurt like hell God knows how sore being hit by 52kg of metal would be
-
Mitch
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 575
- Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
- Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
- Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Swindon
- Has thanked: 118 times
- Been thanked: 113 times
Re: Boat, engine & age
I've checked in the manual guys & they can be transported the way I have it, on its side or straight up.
With the space between the engine & seat goes plastic containers with anchor, pump etc to jam it all in so won't shoot forward.
With the space between the engine & seat goes plastic containers with anchor, pump etc to jam it all in so won't shoot forward.
-
pritch
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 247
- Joined: 10 Aug 2017, 21:51
- Boat Make: BISON 390
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Staffordshire
- Has thanked: 60 times
- Been thanked: 37 times
Re: Boat, engine & age
Is it just me or did anyone else think it was a gas powered trolley for a moment
Looks good Mitch, though I would get it strapped down if possible .
Looks good Mitch, though I would get it strapped down if possible .
- mattswan2512
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1758
- Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
- Boat Make: F-Rib 330
- Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
- Location: Sunny southampton
- Has thanked: 95 times
- Been thanked: 118 times
Re: Boat, engine & age
Id be worried especialy if you park on a downslope you could end up with hydraulic lock with your engine transported like that...tiller side down is alot safer with the leg always lower than the power head.
- These users thanked the author mattswan2512 for the post:
- Mitch (02 Oct 2017, 10:35)
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.
-
Andy B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1825
- Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
- Location: lost in space
- Has thanked: 78 times
- Been thanked: 252 times
Re: Boat, engine & age
Transporting 4 strokes is a ball ache!
You may be fine, just be prepared to pull the plugs before you try and fire it up.
At least for the first few journies.
I too considered putting wheels on my transporting box, but decided against it for the same reasons stated above.
Don't get to upset about any of the above comments.
They are ment with the best intentions.
I think The Gernard has a similar trolly where the OB is supported on the cav plate.
Nice bit of engineering and I'm sure you'll modify it many time until you get it to work just how you want it too
Thanks for sharing
You may be fine, just be prepared to pull the plugs before you try and fire it up.
At least for the first few journies.
I too considered putting wheels on my transporting box, but decided against it for the same reasons stated above.
Don't get to upset about any of the above comments.
They are ment with the best intentions.
I think The Gernard has a similar trolly where the OB is supported on the cav plate.
Nice bit of engineering and I'm sure you'll modify it many time until you get it to work just how you want it too
Thanks for sharing
-
Mitch
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 575
- Joined: 16 May 2017, 16:31
- Boat Make: Honwave T38-ie2
- Outboard: Mercury 20HP Fourstroke
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Swindon
- Has thanked: 118 times
- Been thanked: 113 times
Re: Boat, engine & age
not upset by comments they are always welcome, if people didn't comment we might not learn anything.
page from ops manual regarding transport so i hope it will be ok. the car has several load eyes so can use some straps to secure it.
page from ops manual regarding transport so i hope it will be ok. the car has several load eyes so can use some straps to secure it.





