Diy rod holders

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
User avatar
mattswan2512
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1758
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 10:34
Boat Make: F-Rib 330
Outboard: Mercury 15hp ss 2 smoker.
Location: Sunny southampton
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Diy rod holders

Post by mattswan2512 » 21 Aug 2017, 20:46

Hi all just wanna run a little idea by you all for some simplistic rod holders......

So my plan is as paul has done to utilise my bolts for the transome wheels so my plan is as follows.....

Get some black plastic water pipe you would use for a sink etc cut to aprox 12" then drill 2 8mm holes right through the pipe at the same measurements as the nuts and bolts for my wheels.....

Then on one side of the pipe drill the 2x 8mm holes out with a circular drill saw to 14mm holes.....this is so i can fit the 13mm nut and socket to do the nuts back up (access points to the nuts basicly.....)

Then heat the top of the pipe and shape with a beer bottle kneck to splay it outwards and cut a 1 inch long strip out of the top for the reel to rest on and fit.......

What are your thoughts on this? If the above made sense?
Life is like a chocolate bar........
If you hold onto it for too long u get covered in sh☆t so......
live a life you will remember, not a life full of untested dreams.

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Diy rod holders

Post by kaman » 21 Aug 2017, 22:37

Sounds like a plan.
I had a couple of rod holders from my old sib.
Used the transom eye bolts to mount the rod holders to the transom.
I chiseled out the shape of the transom mounted launch wheel bolt heads into the back of the wooden mounts.
The bolt heads protrude and sit in the indent that I chiseled into the wooden mount.
This stops the rod mounts swiveling side to side.
Easy on and off, no drilling or cutting transom or seat and most importantly cheap as chips.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-08-21-23-27-57.png

User avatar
James England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1115
Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 12:25
Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355
Location: Copthorne, West Sussex
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 61 times
Contact:

Re: Diy rod holders

Post by James » 21 Aug 2017, 22:58

When it comes time to fold the boat, if you take them them off, don't use wing nuts.
I tried and found the tubes rub on them.

You may not have the same result as me, but I am just high-lighting it just in case.
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Diy rod holders

Post by Paul » 24 Aug 2017, 21:58

James wrote:When it comes time to fold the boat, if you take them them off, don't use wing nuts.
I tried and found the tubes rub on them.

You may not have the same result as me, but I am just high-lighting it just in case.
Thats odd James as mine (same boat as yours) has enough clearance if the front/mid section is pulled away from the transom during folding :scratch
:cheers

User avatar
James England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1115
Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 12:25
Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355
Location: Copthorne, West Sussex
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 61 times
Contact:

Re: Diy rod holders

Post by James » 24 Aug 2017, 22:03

I think my wheels are mounted higher than your mate.
Out of the water, my engine can't go straight down as wheels are too short lol
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Diy rod holders

Post by Martin » 24 Aug 2017, 22:07

I have that same issue James with the outboard, fingers crossed the new ones do the jobby.
As Paul says, you should be able to shift the section clear of obstruction when folding.
Perhaps a demo on how we do ours Paul :lol:
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Diy rod holders

Post by Paul » 24 Aug 2017, 22:11

James wrote:I think my wheels are mounted higher than your mate.
Out of the water, my engine can't go straight down as wheels are too short lol
Neither can I mate so that's why I commented ...... I still get about 25mm clearance though :scratch

User avatar
James England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1115
Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 12:25
Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355
Location: Copthorne, West Sussex
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 61 times
Contact:

Re: Diy rod holders

Post by James » 24 Aug 2017, 22:16

My boat is out at the moment, so I'll check tomorrow.
On one side, I had a rubbing mark on the tube.

Maybe I am doing something wrong with folding the tubes. Maybe it's where it's been in the back of my truck for months and vibrations movements from the road? Due to the house build, the boat has lived in my truck solid for about 4 months which isn't ideal. Kinda lucky it was not nicked, but had no choice really.
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid

User avatar
James England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1115
Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 12:25
Boat Make: F-Rib 360
Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
MMSI Number: 235914355
Location: Copthorne, West Sussex
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 61 times
Contact:

Re: Diy rod holders

Post by James » 25 Aug 2017, 11:02

Pual, I checked today. Your right
My launch wheels have had the bolts cut short. Not sure why
I was connecting my Wing nuts to the towing eye

So ignore what I say! :-)
James

2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”