Which type of rod holder is best
-
Captain cod
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 373
- Joined: 24 Nov 2016, 21:51
- Boat Make: Humber
- Outboard: Mariner 40hp
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Manchester
- Has thanked: 51 times
- Been thanked: 51 times
Which type of rod holder is best
I am thinking about adding a couple of rod holders to my sib buy not too sure which sort to get. I think I would prefer something that is glued to the rear end of the tubes. I have kind of narrowed it down to two types but I'm open to suggestions if anyone think a different type is better
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
I have the railblaza 3m adhesive mounts, not mounted them yet though so I can't pass comment other than I'll be surprised if the 3m adhesive pads fail.
- These users thanked the author Martin for the post:
- Captain cod (30 Jul 2017, 16:44)
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
Andy B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1825
- Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
- Location: lost in space
- Has thanked: 78 times
- Been thanked: 252 times
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
My only concern would be when the tubes warm up in the sun.Martin wrote: I'll be surprised if the 3m adhesive pads fail.
I've removed 3M pads with a hairdryer before, and i know my tubes have gotten very warm in the sun.
But then my tubes a quite dark and yours are white.
-
Captain cod
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 373
- Joined: 24 Nov 2016, 21:51
- Boat Make: Humber
- Outboard: Mariner 40hp
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Manchester
- Has thanked: 51 times
- Been thanked: 51 times
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
I was thinking the same thing. Thats why i was going to use the 2 part glue for hypalon. The one in the first picture is a lot cheaper than the other type. But im a bit worried incase it dosnt hold the rod Securely enough
Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
I didn't want to run the risk of leaving crappy glue marks all over the tubes if it did fail, The railblaza 3m kit allegedly removes clean with heat. It is an adhesive pad specifically for the marine world, not a general grab sticky pad.
As Andy states, i too have that little worry over the sun and the adhesion of the pad.. but on the other hand they are made and designed in new Zealand and it gets bloody hotter there than it does here
As Andy states, i too have that little worry over the sun and the adhesion of the pad.. but on the other hand they are made and designed in new Zealand and it gets bloody hotter there than it does here
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
rogerblack
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 884
- Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
- Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
- Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
- MMSI Number: 235913495
- Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
- Has thanked: 209 times
- Been thanked: 240 times
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Hi
On my old Compass, which had a varnished marine ply seat, I drilled through and fixed a rod holder base to that, designed to take the type of angled rod holder shown in Captain cod's second picture.
On the Honwave, I wasn't keen to drill through the fibre glass seat so I made an attachment to fix to it using a couple of wing nuts:
This can fitted at either end and with the holder facing for'ard or abaft of the seat:
I can also use the Quick-Fist clamps I fitted to the transom to hold an external antenna in emergency as a rod holder:
And I also fitted some elasticated cords to the inner ends of the long transom bolts for the port launch wheels so that I can slot in a piece of plastic tube to act as a further simple rod holder.

On my old Compass, which had a varnished marine ply seat, I drilled through and fixed a rod holder base to that, designed to take the type of angled rod holder shown in Captain cod's second picture.
On the Honwave, I wasn't keen to drill through the fibre glass seat so I made an attachment to fix to it using a couple of wing nuts:
This can fitted at either end and with the holder facing for'ard or abaft of the seat:
I can also use the Quick-Fist clamps I fitted to the transom to hold an external antenna in emergency as a rod holder:
And I also fitted some elasticated cords to the inner ends of the long transom bolts for the port launch wheels so that I can slot in a piece of plastic tube to act as a further simple rod holder.
- These users thanked the author rogerblack for the post (total 2):
- Captain cod (30 Jul 2017, 16:44) • nala (13 Sep 2017, 20:32)
cheers
Roger

“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”
Roger
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”
-
Captain cod
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 373
- Joined: 24 Nov 2016, 21:51
- Boat Make: Humber
- Outboard: Mariner 40hp
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Manchester
- Has thanked: 51 times
- Been thanked: 51 times
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
My rod holders came today I'm just hoping the rain stays off tomorrow so I can fit them before I goto st ives on Saturday
-
James
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1115
- Joined: 01 Aug 2015, 12:25
- Boat Make: F-Rib 360
- Outboard: 1999 Johnson 2-Stroke 15 HP
- MMSI Number: 235914355
- Location: Copthorne, West Sussex
- Has thanked: 39 times
- Been thanked: 61 times
- Contact:
Re: Which type of rod holder is best
Cool, where did you get them and how much did they cost?
James
2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid
2015 F-Rib 360 married to a 1999 fully rebuilt 15hp 2 Stroke Johnson engine and 22 litre fuel tank.
Mods: Launch wheels, Towing Eyes, 2 Bench Seat Cushions, and 1 Bench Seat Bag
Boat name: Cichlid



