Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative
- komplexpro
- I'm New
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 03 Apr 2017, 12:48
- Boat Make: Excel SD-330
- Outboard: Mercury 9.9 4 st
- MMSI Number: 235901944
- Location: Stratford - East London
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Been thanked: 1 time
Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative
Hi,
I don’t think many people use a Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282425347454? ... EBIDX%3AIT
but for those who do or are considering buying one here's a less expensive alternative. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152466663584? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I don’t think many people use a Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282425347454? ... EBIDX%3AIT
but for those who do or are considering buying one here's a less expensive alternative. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152466663584? ... EBIDX%3AIT
-
Paul B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2065
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
- Location: UK
- Has thanked: 172 times
- Been thanked: 276 times
Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative
I tend to not use the cord around my wrist, as it's too easy to accidentally pull the cord of just at the wrong moment, I either hook it to my lifejacket at the front flip or around my thigh.
Where do others attaché theirs
Where do others attaché theirs
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative
Lifejacket loop for me every time. TBH it lives on there 24/7 but I do carry a spare in my "must have aboard bag" just incase I go overboard. If someone else is in the boat they will have been advised where to find it in an emergency.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
rogerblack
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 884
- Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
- Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
- Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
- MMSI Number: 235913495
- Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
- Has thanked: 209 times
- Been thanked: 240 times
Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative
Lifejacket loop for me too. When I'm in the Honwave sitting forward on the seat using the tiller extension I need to extend it to encompass my wide girth
In any event, my Mercury 15 hp has one of those toggle switches which will work without a kill-cord in place, but obviously I would only use that option in an emergency situation. When my old tiller extension snapped and jammed the tiller on full lock at high revs, after several 360 degree spins it was throwing myself on the floor which activated the kill cord and saved me from a dunking.
cheers
Roger

“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”
Roger
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”
-
Pete
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
- Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
- Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
- Location: Manchester
- Has thanked: 36 times
- Been thanked: 38 times
Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative
The chap I bought my SIB from told me to put it round my ankle. Said it allowed more movement and left your hands free in the event of someone else on board falling over...
-
Andy B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1825
- Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
- Location: lost in space
- Has thanked: 78 times
- Been thanked: 252 times
Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative
The officially accepted method is round the thigh.
Of course this is related to a more traditional helming position. Not really practical on a Sib.
Personally i wear mine on my throttle wrist, I find it a lot less likely to snag.
But i think the only real thing that matters is that it is worn, where it is worn is down to personal preference and individual choice.
Of course this is related to a more traditional helming position. Not really practical on a Sib.
Personally i wear mine on my throttle wrist, I find it a lot less likely to snag.
But i think the only real thing that matters is that it is worn, where it is worn is down to personal preference and individual choice.
- Paul
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 3056
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
- Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
- Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
- MMSI Number: 235915479
- Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
- Has thanked: 459 times
- Been thanked: 356 times
Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative
Indeed AndyAndy B wrote: I think the only real thing that matters is that it is worn, where it is worn is down to personal preference and individual choice.
Wear and use one to fulfil your 'needs'
- These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
- Captain cod (09 Aug 2017, 20:39)
-
Andy B
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1825
- Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
- Location: lost in space
- Has thanked: 78 times
- Been thanked: 252 times
Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative
As a side note,Pete wrote:The chap I bought my SIB from told me to put it round my ankle. Said it allowed more movement and left your hands free in the event of someone else on board falling over...
While recovering a casualty from the water the engine should be off.
So the placement of the kill core isn't important.




