Know anything about True Kit boats?
-
MauiBen
- I'm New
- Posts: 15
- Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 04:49
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: San Francisco
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
You must be right, Froglet. I thought the same thing myself, but looking closely at the stamp, it sure looks like it's a deliberate three (see attached photo). Maybe just a "typo".
True Kit recommended I try this Solas 7.5 x 7 prop. They said get it cupped as much as possible, or double cupped. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/solas-a ... AsQAvD_BwE
True Kit recommended I try this Solas 7.5 x 7 prop. They said get it cupped as much as possible, or double cupped. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/solas-a ... AsQAvD_BwE
-
ba_fisher
- I'm New
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 15 Mar 2020, 19:59
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Santa Cruz
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 0
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
Hi @MauiBen , how's the True Kit Discovery doing after a year? I am very close to pulling the trigger on one now. I also live in the SF Bay Area.
Have you taken it out at rough seas and high wind? I am a little worried if high wind may flip up the bow.
Also, how does the boat track on a following sea? I heard that cats in general have the tendency to turn sideways when they are pushed by the waves. Has that ever happened to you?
I'll probably use it mostly on lakes and in the bay, but I do plan to take it out of Half Moon Bay on a very calm day.
Have you taken it out at rough seas and high wind? I am a little worried if high wind may flip up the bow.
Also, how does the boat track on a following sea? I heard that cats in general have the tendency to turn sideways when they are pushed by the waves. Has that ever happened to you?
I'll probably use it mostly on lakes and in the bay, but I do plan to take it out of Half Moon Bay on a very calm day.
-
warder54
- Super Poster
- Posts: 645
- Joined: 12 Aug 2016, 08:32
- Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
- Outboard: Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi - MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Montrose -Scotland
- Has thanked: 23 times
- Been thanked: 148 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
Very nice! If I didn't already have my F-Rib 360 - I'd be tempted
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott
Mike Elliott
-
theins
- I'm New
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
- Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
- Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Brisbane
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 7 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
I have recently bought the Navigator 300 from Truekit. Only had it out a couple of times, but am enjoying it.
-
theins
- I'm New
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 09 Mar 2020, 07:26
- Boat Make: TrueKit Navigator 300
- Outboard: Yamaha 6hp
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Brisbane
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 7 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
I am really enjoying it - having said that, this is my first boat, so have nothing really to compare it with. I like it as
a) it is big enough for two of us (and some camping gear)
b) it is a stable platform
Originally I was drawn to the explorer, but decided that the navigator was going to be more comfortable for us, as the floor does not curve up as in the explorer. But that's us - obviously it depends on what you want to use the boat for.
The other thing to call out is the service (both pre-and after-sales). Rod was very patient and responsive when I asked what I am sure were basic questions for him, providing advice and information.
I put up a post covering the boat and add ons and will add to that as time progresses:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=4383
The outboard I am using is a 6hp Yamaha - 4 stroke. In the post above I am elaborating a bit more on the engine.
The boat is rated for 10hp, but portability is important for me and the Yamaha has a 10kg weight difference between the 1 cyl and 2 cyl engines. So I went for the most powerful I could get in the 1 cyl range.
a) it is big enough for two of us (and some camping gear)
b) it is a stable platform
Originally I was drawn to the explorer, but decided that the navigator was going to be more comfortable for us, as the floor does not curve up as in the explorer. But that's us - obviously it depends on what you want to use the boat for.
The other thing to call out is the service (both pre-and after-sales). Rod was very patient and responsive when I asked what I am sure were basic questions for him, providing advice and information.
I put up a post covering the boat and add ons and will add to that as time progresses:
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=4383
The outboard I am using is a 6hp Yamaha - 4 stroke. In the post above I am elaborating a bit more on the engine.
The boat is rated for 10hp, but portability is important for me and the Yamaha has a 10kg weight difference between the 1 cyl and 2 cyl engines. So I went for the most powerful I could get in the 1 cyl range.
-
Tommo
- I'm New
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 29 May 2020, 10:40
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Durham
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 4 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
I ended up getting the Truekit Discovery 3.3, I’m just waiting for my outboard to arrive then hopefully I’ll be able to get out and see how it goes.
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: Know anything about True Kit boats?
Oooooh! @Tommo that looks bleedin ace matey.
Nearly pulled the plug on one last year but ended up with a bargain tiny rib instead. Still fancy one though....would just love a tiny cat for playing in the surf.
A bit further north than yourself, we boat out of Beadnell, but if you’re ever up that way would love to see it in action.
Enjoy your new boat.
Nearly pulled the plug on one last year but ended up with a bargain tiny rib instead. Still fancy one though....would just love a tiny cat for playing in the surf.
A bit further north than yourself, we boat out of Beadnell, but if you’re ever up that way would love to see it in action.
Enjoy your new boat.
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'



