Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
User avatar
komplexpro
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 03 Apr 2017, 12:48
Boat Make: Excel SD-330
Outboard: Mercury 9.9 4 st
MMSI Number: 235901944
Location: Stratford - East London
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Post by komplexpro » 04 May 2017, 12:31

Hi,

I don’t think many people use a Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap like this one
s-l1600.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282425347454? ... EBIDX%3AIT

but for those who do or are considering buying one here's a less expensive alternative.
s-l1600.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152466663584? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
000.jpg

User avatar
Paul B Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 2065
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 18:21
Location: UK
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Post by Paul B » 04 May 2017, 13:22

I tend to not use the cord around my wrist, as it's too easy to accidentally pull the cord of just at the wrong moment, I either hook it to my lifejacket at the front flip or around my thigh.
Where do others attaché theirs :scratch

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Post by Martin » 04 May 2017, 13:34

Lifejacket loop for me every time. TBH it lives on there 24/7 but I do carry a spare in my "must have aboard bag" just incase I go overboard. If someone else is in the boat they will have been advised where to find it in an emergency.
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

User avatar
rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 884
Joined: 02 Jun 2015, 19:51
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495
Location: Fife, Scotland & Wokingham,Berkshire
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Post by rogerblack » 04 May 2017, 18:00

:wavey

Lifejacket loop for me too. When I'm in the Honwave sitting forward on the seat using the tiller extension I need to extend it to encompass my wide girth :shame otherwise it tends to pop out all the time as it's fairly sensitive. Using a wrist strap might be better from that point of view however I can see it getting in the way for example when fishing. I also always carry a spare kill cord but don't need to tell anyone where it's stowed as I'm always skippering solo a.k.a. billy-no-mates :lol:

In any event, my Mercury 15 hp has one of those toggle switches which will work without a kill-cord in place, but obviously I would only use that option in an emergency situation. When my old tiller extension snapped and jammed the tiller on full lock at high revs, after several 360 degree spins it was throwing myself on the floor which activated the kill cord and saved me from a dunking. :thud

:cheers
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

User avatar
Pete England
Veteran Member
Posts: 364
Joined: 09 Apr 2016, 11:21
Boat Make: Excel Volante 330
Outboard: Yamaha 6 HP 4 Stroke
Location: Manchester
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Post by Pete » 06 May 2017, 19:48

The chap I bought my SIB from told me to put it round my ankle. Said it allowed more movement and left your hands free in the event of someone else on board falling over...

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Post by Andy B » 06 May 2017, 21:19

The officially accepted method is round the thigh.
Of course this is related to a more traditional helming position. Not really practical on a Sib.
Personally i wear mine on my throttle wrist, I find it a lot less likely to snag.
But i think the only real thing that matters is that it is worn, where it is worn is down to personal preference and individual choice.

User avatar
Paul
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 3056
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 21:46
Boat Make: Mercury Ocean Runner 420
Outboard: Mariner F40ELPT, 3.5 Tohatsu smoker
MMSI Number: 235915479
Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Post by Paul » 06 May 2017, 23:16

Andy B wrote: I think the only real thing that matters is that it is worn, where it is worn is down to personal preference and individual choice.
Indeed Andy :thumbsup
Wear and use one to fulfil your 'needs' :!:
:cheers
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
Captain cod (09 Aug 2017, 20:39)

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Kill Cord Safety Wrist Strap Alternative

Post by Andy B » 07 May 2017, 10:50

Pete wrote:The chap I bought my SIB from told me to put it round my ankle. Said it allowed more movement and left your hands free in the event of someone else on board falling over...
As a side note,
While recovering a casualty from the water the engine should be off.
So the placement of the kill core isn't important.

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”