After a lot of advice not to trailer my boat with the outboard attached if possible, it is possible I can fit it in the back of my ford c-max with the center seat up folded up which that will give room for other items we need to carry when traveling back to Spain.
Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car
-
Sibfisher
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
- Boat Make: Elling KB 350
- Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Tui, Spain
- Has thanked: 113 times
- Been thanked: 95 times
Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car
After a lot of advice not to trailer my boat with the outboard attached if possible, it is possible I can fit it in the back of my ford c-max with the center seat up folded up which that will give room for other items we need to carry when traveling back to Spain.
-
9-R
- Super Poster
- Posts: 932
- Joined: 12 Feb 2016, 13:56
- Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
- Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI
- Location: The Republic of Texas
- Has thanked: 204 times
- Been thanked: 122 times
Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car
38 hours! Where you heading to?
We took long trips with our SIB on a trailer and the engine attached. Would be from 1-4 hours each way and we never had any issues. All trips combined were probably more than what you're intending. Just make sure your transom is supported by the trailer and not just the tubes.
Before the trailer we just latched the engine onto a board that was connected to a carrier. Can you attach yours to a board as well and use it to balance it upright?
We took long trips with our SIB on a trailer and the engine attached. Would be from 1-4 hours each way and we never had any issues. All trips combined were probably more than what you're intending. Just make sure your transom is supported by the trailer and not just the tubes.
Before the trailer we just latched the engine onto a board that was connected to a carrier. Can you attach yours to a board as well and use it to balance it upright?
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car
If your engine is orientated as it would be on the transom then there is no need to drain the oil. You would only need to drain it if you wanted it lying with the front or the wrong side the engine facing upwards.
Generally, on “its back” would be with the prop facing down, “its front” would be with the prop facing up and the sides are, well, the sides.
Generally, on “its back” would be with the prop facing down, “its front” would be with the prop facing up and the sides are, well, the sides.
- These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
- RONHAS (01 Jun 2020, 14:24)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car
Crap drawing.
- These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post (total 2):
- Martin (01 Jun 2020, 15:10) • Sibfisher (01 Jun 2020, 18:21)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car
Yes, i mean No...
I mean don't put it on it's back, put it on it's front at the angle as if it was on a transom, and i'm in complete agreement with Vincent Van Parish.
(ps... that's actually a very simple to understand drawing)
As long as you keep the power head a good height above the prop, all should be fine for travel.
I'd be the same as you, I'd not want to travel all that way with the outboard attached.
Martin
I mean don't put it on it's back, put it on it's front at the angle as if it was on a transom, and i'm in complete agreement with Vincent Van Parish.
(ps... that's actually a very simple to understand drawing)
As long as you keep the power head a good height above the prop, all should be fine for travel.
I'd be the same as you, I'd not want to travel all that way with the outboard attached.
Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
harrison
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 1846
- Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
- Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
- Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
- Location: Midlands & Up North
- Has thanked: 284 times
- Been thanked: 746 times
Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car
Whilst I agree transporting on its front will be fine as long as it’s not at an angle greater than the full tilt position...power head appreciably higher than leg.
Personally though, for peace of mind and on such a long journey, I’d be inclined to drain off the oil anyway. You also then have the option to lay on whichever side takes your fancy.
Personally though, for peace of mind and on such a long journey, I’d be inclined to drain off the oil anyway. You also then have the option to lay on whichever side takes your fancy.
harrison
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'
-
ChrisParish
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 2049
- Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
- Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
- Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
- MMSI Number: 235916094
- Location: Poole
- Has thanked: 123 times
- Been thanked: 636 times
Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car
There is something to be said for draining the oil for a long journey. I had my engine laying on the correct side for 12 hours on the way to scotland and it smoked like crazy when I started up due to oil.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
-
Sibfisher
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 21 Feb 2020, 18:18
- Boat Make: Elling KB 350
- Outboard: Orca 9.8 4 Stroke
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Tui, Spain
- Has thanked: 113 times
- Been thanked: 95 times
Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car
Thanks for all the advice it is gratefully received.
Why it is such a long journey is the form Northwich to Plymouth is about 5 hours then there's waiting to get on the boat which then takes 24 hours to Santander then another 6 hours drive to our place in Galicia.
So as you can see it is longer than the 38 hours stated.
Maybe I explained it wrong, to give as much room in the boot I would like to lay it down on the front with the prop facing upwards, hope that is fine to do that.
I will run the outboard dry of petrol and will drain the oil out so there is no problems on journey plus no problems with my Wife which has been very good to suggest putting the outboard in the car, when I get there I will put the oil back into it.
Why it is such a long journey is the form Northwich to Plymouth is about 5 hours then there's waiting to get on the boat which then takes 24 hours to Santander then another 6 hours drive to our place in Galicia.
So as you can see it is longer than the 38 hours stated.
Maybe I explained it wrong, to give as much room in the boot I would like to lay it down on the front with the prop facing upwards, hope that is fine to do that.
I will run the outboard dry of petrol and will drain the oil out so there is no problems on journey plus no problems with my Wife which has been very good to suggest putting the outboard in the car, when I get there I will put the oil back into it.
-
knaus470
- I'm New
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 10 Jul 2019, 22:49
- Location: Pennines
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 4 times
Re: Transporting a 9.8 4 Stroke in the back of a car
May be late in replying to this but as I've found out from the same query you're outboard will likely have some form of identification (likely on the cowl) as to what orientation the motor may be laid flat for storage or transport.
For my 4-hp 4-stroke Nissan outboard that would be laying it on its folded tiller
As I don't like the idea of that (chance of causing damage) I built a small but strong mounting frame to which I can mount the outboard for transport, then orient it into this advised position
As I use my boat now every 3rd week when away with my caravan, the outboard now travels & lives in my car
For my 4-hp 4-stroke Nissan outboard that would be laying it on its folded tiller
As I don't like the idea of that (chance of causing damage) I built a small but strong mounting frame to which I can mount the outboard for transport, then orient it into this advised position
As I use my boat now every 3rd week when away with my caravan, the outboard now travels & lives in my car



