Anchoring overnight?

The Bar...
Chat about anything here (within reason) Please keep it polite and PC
ARO Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 Mar 2019, 22:58
MMSI Number: 10
Location: East Grinstead
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Anchoring overnight?

Post by ARO » 04 Aug 2019, 12:41

Hi all!

We're shortly due to head down to the south coast of Cornwall for our summer holiday, of course we are taking the F-RIB (360) 8-) .

Ideally we would like to anchor the boat up overnight, rather than having to set it up every time we want to use it. Does anyone have experience of anchoring up (in sand) for up to a couple of days at a time?

We have found several potential anchorages should the conditions be suitable.

Currently we have a 2kg bruce style anchor, with 5 metres of 6mm chain. However I am considering buying a 10kg anchor, just for anchoring overnight.

Does anyone have experience of anchoring overnight? Would you risk it?

Many thanks!

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: Anchoring overnight?

Post by harrison » 04 Aug 2019, 13:43

All depends on conditions, and how easily you sleep!

With reasonably light winds and currents and assuming shallow water anchorage then yes your 2kg Bruce/5m chain should be ok. Certainly adding a 10kg Bruce would more than work, but useless to carry for anything else.

For extra peace of mind overnight, I’d be more inclined to replicate with another 2kg Bruce with the same chain and warp and deploy a Bahemian system. This is usually used to limit swing but would also give additional peace of mind overnight. The extra anchor set up could then be kept as a spare.

92902772-A509-4BE0-9A81-0702E4431BC4.jpeg
Bahamian Moor Anchor System
PS: We’ve left our 5m rib in the bay overnight using this set up...2kg Bruce with 4m of 6mm short link chain x 2
These users thanked the author harrison for the post:
Martin (04 Aug 2019, 22:45)
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

PeterM
Super Poster
Posts: 841
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 14:53
Location: Bournemouth & Poole
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Anchoring overnight?

Post by PeterM » 04 Aug 2019, 22:07

I have left my 4m at anchor inside Christchurch harbour for a week at a time. I'll always put 2 anchors out, hardly sleep and accept that it's totally uninsured if I find it missing in the morning.

I also put a glow stick on the a frame so I can see our when I'm not sleeping with worry at 4am.

I'm sure you get what I'm saying. ........ :/
These users thanked the author PeterM for the post:
Martin (04 Aug 2019, 22:45)

User avatar
Martin England
Supporting Member
Posts: 5789
Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789
Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 1416 times
Been thanked: 782 times
Contact:

Re: Anchoring overnight?

Post by Martin » 04 Aug 2019, 22:45

Hey @ARO , Where abouts are you going in Cornwall ?
I've recently been down and stopped around Looe & Polperro, Having spoken to the Harbour master i can possibly help you out a little if you're heading the same area ?

Martin :cheers
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

gazzabish Great Britain
Active Member
Posts: 53
Joined: 09 Feb 2019, 18:03
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE-2
Outboard: Suzuki DF20AS
MMSI Number: 235918433
Location: Brigg, North Lincs
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Anchoring overnight?

Post by gazzabish » 05 Aug 2019, 09:23

Hi @ARO
We’re currently on the west coast of Scotland and I’ve been anchoring mine every night in the bay we’re at. Because of the slope I have been pushing it out as the tide rises so it is always afloat, but it has been fine. I have just dug the anchor in the sand and am using a make shift bag anchor at the rear to keep it from swing around.

User avatar
Si Crowe Great Britain
Veteran Member
Posts: 585
Joined: 24 Aug 2015, 15:29
Boat Make: DS110, Seago 240 Airdeck
Outboard: 2xPerkins Sabres 225HP, 5HP Mariner 2Stroke
Location: York
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Anchoring overnight?

Post by Si Crowe » 05 Aug 2019, 10:12

for a sib i'd be looking at this product. allows you to drop an anchor from the stern (which is elasticated) motor to the shore, and use a bow anchor, pay our the line untill the sib is floating offshore and secure bow line and anchor (to bollard on shore. to retreive, pull bow line...
Anchor-Buddy-dock-lines-fender-ties-towing-products-anchor-lines-anchor-bags-fender-covers-boating-products-houseboats.jpg
it allows for tidal rise and fall, no swinging due to wind and tide, no damage to hull from beach.
If it has t*ts, tyres or floats......it's gonna cost ya!

Salty Pete Australia
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 34
Joined: 14 Mar 2019, 23:57
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Beckenham
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Anchoring overnight?

Post by Salty Pete » 06 Aug 2019, 01:45

Sleeping in your boat anchored overnight is always exciting because you never know what country you'll wake up in.

But seriously folks, I did have a GPS years ago that had an anchor warning alarm. If you drifted too far from your anchorage the alarm would go off and wake you.

ARO Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 Mar 2019, 22:58
MMSI Number: 10
Location: East Grinstead
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Anchoring overnight?

Post by ARO » 07 Aug 2019, 07:59

Thanks for all your advice!

We're heading to Falmouth area, so I might consider speaking the St Mawes harbour to see if they have a visitor mooring that's not ridiculously expensive. I have already spoken with the harbour master up at Portscatho and unfortunately all of their visitor moorings are booked up.

The winds Aren't actually looking to great at the moment, so I may not take the boat at all, but fingers crossed for an improvement!

Aaron Ireland
I'm New
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Feb 2020, 17:08
MMSI Number: 10
Location: North Yorks
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Anchoring overnight?

Post by Aaron » 25 Feb 2020, 12:52

Although this won't specifically answer your question this PDF is essential reading. https://dbscweb.files.wordpress.com/201 ... eaflet.pdf

Aaron Ireland
I'm New
Posts: 9
Joined: 10 Feb 2020, 17:08
MMSI Number: 10
Location: North Yorks
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Anchoring overnight?

Post by Aaron » 25 Feb 2020, 14:04

These users thanked the author Aaron for the post:
Martin (25 Feb 2020, 14:36)

Post Reply

Return to “Inflatable Boat Help, Advice, Discussions and General Boating Banter”