Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
-
billysince1976
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 23:18
- Boat Make: Honwave T40
- Outboard: Mercury 20HP EFI
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: London
- Has thanked: 31 times
- Been thanked: 10 times
Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
Got the T38 last week, went to the sea once and came back with a bit sand in the deflated boat so decided to give a wash! Noticed uneven floor when flipping the boat over, first I thought it might have been not fully inflated at one floor panel, therefore checked the pressure and they both were the same at 0.8 bar, then I deflate both floor and inflated again, of course flipped again! Same outcome, I didn’t notice anything when out the sea as this is my very first sib and so no experience to compare. Is this a common thing to the honwave owners it would not affect performance or you would get it returned or replaced?
Any suggestions will be very helpful!
Any suggestions will be very helpful!
Last edited by The Hobbit on 28 May 2019, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rotated images
Reason: Rotated images
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
Re: Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
I personally would reject that as not fit for purpose, and insist Honda keep supplying you with replacements until you get one with a straight keel.
- These users thanked the author chris moody for the post:
- billysince1976 (28 May 2019, 12:41)
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
-
The Hobbit
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 724
- Joined: 10 Jul 2017, 15:03
- Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
- Outboard: 1985 Yamaha 2 stroke 15 D
- MMSI Number: 235904468
- Location: Farnborough Hampshire
- Has thanked: 100 times
- Been thanked: 174 times
Re: Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
I concur with @chris moody I would not be happy with that. The keel is well out of alignment and well beyond acceptable deviation.
I'll rotate your pics when I get home from the gym. Check me out going to the gym lol lol actually its the hospital gym and my last physio session for me new knee.
I'll rotate your pics when I get home from the gym. Check me out going to the gym lol lol actually its the hospital gym and my last physio session for me new knee.
- These users thanked the author The Hobbit for the post:
- billysince1976 (28 May 2019, 12:41)
I'm not really a Hobbit, just look like one. Real name is "Andy".
All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber
All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber
-
Brerabit
- Active Member
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 10 Apr 2019, 11:35
- Boat Make: Excel Volaire 390 RD
- Outboard: Mercury 20HP Efi
- MMSI Number: 1
- Location: Birmingham
- Has thanked: 81 times
- Been thanked: 22 times
Re: Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
I really feel for you @billysince1976, it must be so frustrating, disappointing and quite frankly very annoying. You spend a grand, or thereabouts on a boat and then you have to decide whether or not it is fit for purpose before rejecting it and going through all of the inconvenience of getting it back to your dealer in the hope that the next one will be ok. I wonder what happens to the rejected one?
Do you think that is shipped back to China for inspection and a refund at Honda’s expense - I doubt it. It is probably sent out to the next unsuspecting buyer until it finds someone who doesn’t know what they’re buying. This way the dealer solves his problem, apart from the shipping costs and Honda carry on in blissful ignorance of the problem.
I was faced with the same problem, really wanted a T38 and everyone was telling me what a great boat it is, whilst at the same time I was reading all of the reports about wonky hulls. So I rang round a few dealers as a potential buyer. Not one owned up to, or was aware of the problem and none were prepared to inspect it and certify it as good before shipping it to me.
So I wrote to Honda basically outlining the above and this is their response:
Thank you for your recent contact to our offices regarding the Honda inflatable in our range.
I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed by the information that has been provided to you by your dealer. I have now had the chance to discuss the matter further with our power equipment technical support team and they have advised that there is no directive which is set by Honda (UK) to carry out a PDI (pre delivery inspection) to the product.
I further understand that my colleagues in our technical support team have discussed any quality concerns with the factory in China and as you can appreciate as the manufacturer we have a limited amount of control over these factories based on our location.
I will, of course, ensure that any feedback is passed to the relevant department so that they are aware of your contact to ourselves relating to this matter.
I hope that this answers your question for you and thank you for taking the time to contact Honda (UK).
Kind Regards
Sarah Turner
Customer Relations Co-ordinator
Honda (UK)
If you abbreviate the above down to its essence, no adequate quality inspection takes place in China or subsequently and Honda state that they have little or no control over their supplier.
Or to put it another way you are not just a customer, you are their unpaid QC dept. and it is you who will bear the burden of disappointment and aggravation as you are discovering.
This was unacceptable to me and so I bought an Excel - two weeks before I even got a reply from Honda.
I’m thrilled with the boat, the service and the comfort factor that they are based in the UK.
Do you think that is shipped back to China for inspection and a refund at Honda’s expense - I doubt it. It is probably sent out to the next unsuspecting buyer until it finds someone who doesn’t know what they’re buying. This way the dealer solves his problem, apart from the shipping costs and Honda carry on in blissful ignorance of the problem.
I was faced with the same problem, really wanted a T38 and everyone was telling me what a great boat it is, whilst at the same time I was reading all of the reports about wonky hulls. So I rang round a few dealers as a potential buyer. Not one owned up to, or was aware of the problem and none were prepared to inspect it and certify it as good before shipping it to me.
So I wrote to Honda basically outlining the above and this is their response:
Thank you for your recent contact to our offices regarding the Honda inflatable in our range.
I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed by the information that has been provided to you by your dealer. I have now had the chance to discuss the matter further with our power equipment technical support team and they have advised that there is no directive which is set by Honda (UK) to carry out a PDI (pre delivery inspection) to the product.
I further understand that my colleagues in our technical support team have discussed any quality concerns with the factory in China and as you can appreciate as the manufacturer we have a limited amount of control over these factories based on our location.
I will, of course, ensure that any feedback is passed to the relevant department so that they are aware of your contact to ourselves relating to this matter.
I hope that this answers your question for you and thank you for taking the time to contact Honda (UK).
Kind Regards
Sarah Turner
Customer Relations Co-ordinator
Honda (UK)
If you abbreviate the above down to its essence, no adequate quality inspection takes place in China or subsequently and Honda state that they have little or no control over their supplier.
Or to put it another way you are not just a customer, you are their unpaid QC dept. and it is you who will bear the burden of disappointment and aggravation as you are discovering.
This was unacceptable to me and so I bought an Excel - two weeks before I even got a reply from Honda.
I’m thrilled with the boat, the service and the comfort factor that they are based in the UK.
-
billysince1976
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 23:18
- Boat Make: Honwave T40
- Outboard: Mercury 20HP EFI
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: London
- Has thanked: 31 times
- Been thanked: 10 times
Re: Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
Thanks Chris and Andy, I have contacted the dealer and I am waiting for their response.chris moody wrote: ↑28 May 2019, 07:52I personally would reject that as not fit for purpose, and insist Honda keep supplying you with replacements until you get one with a straight keel.
-
billysince1976
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 23:18
- Boat Make: Honwave T40
- Outboard: Mercury 20HP EFI
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: London
- Has thanked: 31 times
- Been thanked: 10 times
Re: Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
You absolutely right, it was only I decided to flip the boat over, I don't think many people would do this often or even they do, what are the chances this would be noticed. Shame that no inspection takes place before they deliver. I am waiting for their response and hopefully will be a happy ending.Brerabit wrote: ↑28 May 2019, 09:36I really feel for you @billysince1976, it must be so frustrating, disappointing and quite frankly very annoying. You spend a grand, or thereabouts on a boat and then you have to decide whether or not it is fit for purpose before rejecting it and going through all of the inconvenience of getting it back to your dealer in the hope that the next one will be ok. I wonder what happens to the rejected one?
Do you think that is shipped back to China for inspection and a refund at Honda’s expense - I doubt it. It is probably sent out to the next unsuspecting buyer until it finds someone who doesn’t know what they’re buying. This way the dealer solves his problem, apart from the shipping costs and Honda carry on in blissful ignorance of the problem.
I was faced with the same problem, really wanted a T38 and everyone was telling me what a great boat it is, whilst at the same time I was reading all of the reports about wonky hulls. So I rang round a few dealers as a potential buyer. Not one owned up to, or was aware of the problem and none were prepared to inspect it and certify it as good before shipping it to me.
So I wrote to Honda basically outlining the above and this is their response:
Thank you for your recent contact to our offices regarding the Honda inflatable in our range.
I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed by the information that has been provided to you by your dealer. I have now had the chance to discuss the matter further with our power equipment technical support team and they have advised that there is no directive which is set by Honda (UK) to carry out a PDI (pre delivery inspection) to the product.
I further understand that my colleagues in our technical support team have discussed any quality concerns with the factory in China and as you can appreciate as the manufacturer we have a limited amount of control over these factories based on our location.
I will, of course, ensure that any feedback is passed to the relevant department so that they are aware of your contact to ourselves relating to this matter.
I hope that this answers your question for you and thank you for taking the time to contact Honda (UK).
Kind Regards
Sarah Turner
Customer Relations Co-ordinator
Honda (UK)
If you abbreviate the above down to its essence, no adequate quality inspection takes place in China or subsequently and Honda state that they have little or no control over their supplier.
Or to put it another way you are not just a customer, you are their unpaid QC dept. and it is you who will bear the burden of disappointment and aggravation as you are discovering.
This was unacceptable to me and so I bought an Excel - two weeks before I even got a reply from Honda.
I’m thrilled with the boat, the service and the comfort factor that they are based in the UK.
-
The Hobbit
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 724
- Joined: 10 Jul 2017, 15:03
- Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
- Outboard: 1985 Yamaha 2 stroke 15 D
- MMSI Number: 235904468
- Location: Farnborough Hampshire
- Has thanked: 100 times
- Been thanked: 174 times
Re: Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
No worries @billysince1976 to date and to my knowledge, all the dealers have replaced the wonky ones without fuss or quibble. Still so frustrating though but they are terrific boats. I would still buy another although I bought mine several years ago secondhand.billysince1976 wrote: ↑28 May 2019, 12:42Thanks Chris and Andy, I have contacted the dealer and I am waiting for their response.chris moody wrote: ↑28 May 2019, 07:52I personally would reject that as not fit for purpose, and insist Honda keep supplying you with replacements until you get one with a straight keel.
Hope the dealer is swift in action for you. Keep us posted.
- These users thanked the author The Hobbit for the post:
- billysince1976 (28 May 2019, 13:25)
I'm not really a Hobbit, just look like one. Real name is "Andy".
All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber
All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber
-
Martin
- Supporting Member
- Posts: 5789
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 13:05
- Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
- Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
- MMSI Number: 123456789
- Location: Huddersfield - West Yorkshire
- Has thanked: 1416 times
- Been thanked: 782 times
- Contact:
Re: Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
Sorry guys, I’ve not been on much of late and just read this post today.
I think it’s time we as a community put the small amount of weight we have behind the buyers.
I’ll start getting something put together with the forum moderators and we’ll highlight more of these boats with similar hull issues and forward this info direct to Honda Marine UK.
For the boat in question, most definitely return it to the supplying dealer for exchange, that hull would not be acceptable to me either.
HONWAVE OWNERS,
Please keep your eyes peeled for a new topic “Honwave I.E Range - floor questions
Martin
I think it’s time we as a community put the small amount of weight we have behind the buyers.
I’ll start getting something put together with the forum moderators and we’ll highlight more of these boats with similar hull issues and forward this info direct to Honda Marine UK.
For the boat in question, most definitely return it to the supplying dealer for exchange, that hull would not be acceptable to me either.
HONWAVE OWNERS,
Please keep your eyes peeled for a new topic “Honwave I.E Range - floor questions
Martin
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... 
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
Because it's a big old WWworld out there
-
billysince1976
- Newish Member, But I Like It Here
- Posts: 33
- Joined: 11 May 2019, 23:18
- Boat Make: Honwave T40
- Outboard: Mercury 20HP EFI
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: London
- Has thanked: 31 times
- Been thanked: 10 times
Re: Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
Martin wrote: ↑28 May 2019, 13:32Sorry guys, I’ve not been on much of late and just read this post today.
I think it’s time we as a community put the small amount of weight we have behind the buyers.
I’ll start getting something put together with the forum moderators and we’ll highlight more of these boats with similar hull issues and forward this info direct to Honda Marine UK.
For the boat in question, most definitely return it to the supplying dealer for exchange, that hull would not be acceptable to me either.
HONWAVE OWNERS,
Please keep your eyes peeled for a new topic “Honwave I.E Range - floor questions
Martin![]()
Thanks Martin!
-
chris moody
- Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
- Posts: 2348
- Joined: 24 Mar 2015, 12:19
- Boat Make: Takacat 3.4
- Outboard: Tohatsu 9.8 2s
- MMSI Number: 235900806
- Location: Braunston
- Has thanked: 146 times
- Been thanked: 443 times
Re: Is this acceptable or needs to return/swap
I've rejected two Honwave sibs and in both instances the boats were replaced or monies refunded without quibble. Honda are exceptionally good at dealing with warranty claims.
.
.
The Hobbit wrote: ↑28 May 2019, 12:58No worries @billysince1976 to date and to my knowledge, all the dealers have replaced the wonky ones without fuss or quibble. Still so frustrating though but they are terrific boats. I would still buy another although I bought mine several years ago secondhand.billysince1976 wrote: ↑28 May 2019, 12:42Thanks Chris and Andy, I have contacted the dealer and I am waiting for their response.chris moody wrote: ↑28 May 2019, 07:52I personally would reject that as not fit for purpose, and insist Honda keep supplying you with replacements until you get one with a straight keel.
Hope the dealer is swift in action for you. Keep us posted.![]()
Chris Moody
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8
Taka Tigga: Takacat 3.4 Tohatsu 9.8



