Hello from Hong Kong

New to the forum?? Please pop in and say “Hi”
Introduce yourself and tell us about your boating interests/experiences or any other hobbies you may have.
Post Reply
Hong Kong SIB Hong Kong
I'm New
Posts: 3
Joined: 21 Apr 2019, 13:54
MMSI Number: 10
Location: hong kong
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Hello from Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong SIB » 21 Apr 2019, 16:13

Hi all,
New member here.

I currently live and work in Hong Kong, 17 years now. Thought it best to join the forum as I have just bought a 3.9m Bison SIB for fishing when i'm in the UK. I love my fishing, taking the new boat to Holland next month for a spot of fishing, hoping to take it upto the Lochs of Scotland and the Broads as well next winter.

Currently only have an electric trolling motor for it but looking for an outboard, so any suggestions would be welcome. Can't seem to decide whether a 6HP or the 9.9HP is the way to go.


Cheers.

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Hello from Hong Kong

Post by ChrisParish » 21 Apr 2019, 16:30

Hello and :welcome to the forum!

Generally speaking the advice it to fit the largest engine your sib / ability to lift / wallet can take.

It does depend on where you are planning to use the boat and the speed limits in those places - no point having a 20hp engine if you aren’t allowed to go faster than 5 knots.

If you looking at using the boat in coastal waters at all then I would go with 9.9 rather than 6. If it is just lochs and inland rivers then the 6 would be good because it is light, quiet and efficient.
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
Hong Kong SIB (22 Apr 2019, 02:48)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
The Hobbit England
Supporting Member
Posts: 724
Joined: 10 Jul 2017, 15:03
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: 1985 Yamaha 2 stroke 15 D
MMSI Number: 235904468
Location: Farnborough Hampshire
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 174 times

Re: Hello from Hong Kong

Post by The Hobbit » 21 Apr 2019, 21:45

Hi HKS and :welcome to the Forum. In Hong Kong you seem quite local for the South of England meets but you may struggle with the Scotland ones. Joking apart, enjoy the forum and welcome aboard. Where are you based when in the UK?
These users thanked the author The Hobbit for the post:
Hong Kong SIB (22 Apr 2019, 02:47)
I'm not really a Hobbit, just look like one. Real name is "Andy".

All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber

Hong Kong SIB Hong Kong
I'm New
Posts: 3
Joined: 21 Apr 2019, 13:54
MMSI Number: 10
Location: hong kong
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hello from Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong SIB » 22 Apr 2019, 02:47

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I am based in Lymington, Hants when i'm back in the UK. Being close to the sea I will take Chris's advice and put a 9.9 on the SIB as I might take it out for a spot of Mackerel fishing.

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Hello from Hong Kong

Post by ChrisParish » 22 Apr 2019, 07:46

I got quite a few mackerel last year fishing out on the Solent, and caught a large bass out of Lymington.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
Sarah Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 386
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 20:05
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 362 times
Been thanked: 123 times
Contact:

Re: Hello from Hong Kong

Post by Sarah » 22 Apr 2019, 07:57

:welcome I'm a Lymington girl originally - fab place - all the family still there and bizarrely all involved n the marine world in some way - Lymington kind of drags you to the water! I'd go for the bigger engine if you want to go out on the Solent and assuming the boat will take it. Have fun and look out for the local meets when you're back.
Please feel free to ask questions about training & RYA qualifications, if you're not local we will try to point you in the right direction!
Dorset Marine Training, Poole - 01202 901267, www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk
sarah@dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk

Hong Kong SIB Hong Kong
I'm New
Posts: 3
Joined: 21 Apr 2019, 13:54
MMSI Number: 10
Location: hong kong
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hello from Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong SIB » 22 Apr 2019, 12:27

That's what I want to hear Chris, looking forward to that.

Decided to but an 8HP engine today, i'll probably be fishing close in like Keyhaven etc for some Makereal so I hope the 8HP will do. I think I might take a spin down the Beaulieu river/lepe beach as well.

Thanks again for your comments.

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: Hello from Hong Kong

Post by ChrisParish » 22 Apr 2019, 16:55

I regularly plough the Solent and I only have 9.9 horses. Keep it light and you will probably be fine.
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

Post Reply

Return to “Introduce Yourself --------- *******NEW MEMBER”