Finally !!!!

solarsurfer England
Boat Make: Honwave T40
Outboard: Suzuki 20HP efi
MMSI Number: 10

Finally !!!!

Post by solarsurfer » 03 Dec 2018, 14:13

Well, finally managed to source a big lake, AND on my doorstep, where I can bugger about with the boat and run the engine in, and work out how this fish finder works.

Its even got a slipway I can use to practise getting it in and out by myself, and the edge is quiet shallow.
23.jpeg
So, ideal opportunity to run in the engine, so that I have full power available on the sea.
Also the very nice people at the electricity supplier has agreed to refund me a large wadge, so ordered the little backup engine, and I can run that in on here also.

At long last getting there !

The Hobbit England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: 1985 Yamaha 2 stroke 15 D
MMSI Number: 235904468

Re: Finally !!!!

Post by The Hobbit » 03 Dec 2018, 18:55

Well done Solar, hope you enjoy the experience. Any feedback would be good to read too :chat :clappy
I'm not really a Hobbit, just look like one. Real name is "Andy".

All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber

harrison Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: XS500, Bic Sportyak
Outboard: Mariner 60, Mariner 3.5, Honda 2.3

Post by harrison » 03 Dec 2018, 19:08

Sweet. Good luck on your maiden voyage.

TTIWWP (more that is!)

solarsurfer England

Post by solarsurfer » 04 Dec 2018, 15:39

Got on the water today for the first time, and totally Sh*t myself. It was like jumping on a motorbike along the canal at 12 ! :no

Didn't sleep well last night (Stupid eh !) as was so excited to get going today. All the bad things that could have happened went threw my mind, even down to getting through the locked gate, perhaps it wasn't wide enough lol.

Arrived, and noticed the front end was very bouncy on the trailer, on the way there, and the front had moved slightly. I had tied down the front lifting eyes to some U bolts I added to the trailer, so this needs to be looked at.
I put all the gear together into the boat, and put on my dry suit. The slipway was quiet steep, very wet, full of leaves, but reversed down there ok. I adjusted the engine tilt one notch (Best guess !) I tilted the engine up, reversed into the water, and a quick shove, moved the boat over from the bunks to the wet stuff, while remembering to not, undo the front ratchet strap lol. No one else was about so I left the trailer in the water and jumped in.

I started the engine and let it run a few mins. I thought I had connected the fuel line properly, but the engine cut out. Not a good start. After a bit of messing about, I had not undone the air valve to the fuel can enough, as the bulb was not pressurising, lol ! Got it going and pushed us off. Slipped the engine into forward and just let it tick over for 15 mins, while going forward at a couple knots. The steering and acceleration surprised me. Just a slight twist and she wanted to tear off at a great rate of knots, so had to be very gentle !

After 15 mins, I pushed the engine to 10 knots ish for 45 mins, and noticed the engine was vibrating and the wash was quiet big behind me, and the boat didn't like this, but I had to do it.

Then ever so slightly got the speed up, the nose rose ever so slightly, then dipped back down as the speed got up. I was on the plane, the vibration stopped, and the wash behind me was hardly noticeable, and with a quarter power, I got up to 22 knots.

The new toy is great !

After a couple of hours I was starting to get cold, so headed back for the next challenge, getting the boat back on the trailer. I approached slowly, and spent the next 5 mins going backwards and forwards, before finally pushing the nose up, and jumping off. I was surprised how easy it was, once the bunks were wet, to move it. A bit of pushing and shoving got it somewhere near, so I pulled the trailer out about 4 feet, and easily managed to shove it, to get it bang on again, even with the engine in the air.

Scary day, but I'm getting a bit of confidence now.

:help
I would like some advice about where to strap it for transit, and is it normal that the thing jumps up an down on the trailer allot ? Or the trailer jumps !

I am strapping the transom downwards from the lifting eyes to the trailer. I have put a couple wooden blocks on the back and strap down the side of the engine to this. This seems to work great and no movement in the engine.
pic1.JPG
pic2.JPG

On the way home, the front I attach the bow eye to the trailer rachet. I was strapping the front lifting eye to the trailer either side, but this doesn't work, the trailer moves left and right. Coming back I strapped it through both handles on the tubes, (4 all together) either side to the side of the trailer and this seemed much better.
pic4.JPG

The Hobbit England
Supporting Member

Post by The Hobbit » 04 Dec 2018, 16:14

I don't trailer mine Solar so I can't give you any advice there but I'm sure someone will shortly. Sounds like you had a great day and a cracking maiden voyage....... yep we have all made the same mistakes too. It's called a learning curve but glad everything went pretty well for you :thumbsup :clappy :drive ohyeh

All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber

harrison Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: XS500, Bic Sportyak
Outboard: Mariner 60, Mariner 3.5, Honda 2.3

Post by harrison » 04 Dec 2018, 17:13

solarsurfer wrote:
04 Dec 2018, 15:39

and with a quarter power, I got up to 22 knots.
Holy Smoke Batman! You running on nitro? We only got 22 knots flat out. :o

Anyway, nice one. Sounds like a successful maiden voyage. :thumbsup

PS: Lightly loaded trailers bounce more than Tigga’s

The Hobbit England
Supporting Member

Post by The Hobbit » 04 Dec 2018, 18:24

I'll admit I was shocked at 22 kts at quarter throttle but didn't want to ruin his day. :stop :LMT

solarsurfer England

Post by solarsurfer » 05 Dec 2018, 15:33

9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI

Post by 9-R » 06 Dec 2018, 16:34

Cool write up! :thumbsup

Think I understand what you are saying about what the boat is doing on the trailer but not quite sure. When I trailered ours, The front D-ring was clipped to the trailers front hand winch and I then had two ratchet straps around the boat. One around the front bench area and the second towards the rear behind the back bench. Went through the handles to help prevent roughening of the PVC. I then had a ratchet strap that looped the engine. From the trailer up and around the engine clamp and back down the other side to the trailer. Putting our engine in reverse during travel locked it down so it wouldn't swing out or bounce around.
These users thanked the author 9-R for the post:
solarsurfer (07 Dec 2018, 06:18)
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

The Hobbit England
Supporting Member

Post by The Hobbit » 10 Dec 2018, 00:29

Lol lol lol What more can I say Solar!!!!!!!! Be careful how much you pop ya bum out lol lol :drive :busted

Return to “Honwave”