430 on order!

Fly360
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
MMSI Number: 10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

430 on order!

Post by Fly360 » 07 Nov 2018, 09:06

Well I finally placed an order for a FRIB 430 from The Wetworks, aka The Sail Loft, in Burnham on Crouch. Winter has just arrived here in Alaska so I won’t be boating until April but I wanted some time to get it all set up and exchange rate was very favorable that day (sorry guys!).

I’ll make sure to update this post with some pics when it arrives and I get it all set up in my living room! :lol: My plan is to mount removable beachmasters, a bit of keel easy, a frib bow cover, the frib cushions and bag set, and possibly have a urethane coating professionally applied to the bottom of the tubes. I have a 6hp on hand and it will probably fill in until I get a good deal on a new Yamaha 25hp. I’ve also wondered about making some plywood floors to have a flat floor and bilge area. We catch salmon with nets and they splash quite a bit of water and slime/blood into the boat so a bilge would be appreciated. Has anyone done this yet?

Is there anything I’m missing? And does anyone have experience with 2 part urethane coatings? This is probably the product what the shop would use. https://rivergear.com/product/system-6- ... -material/

Martin
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 3.75 - Special
Outboard: Suzuki Smoker DT9 (1978) , Suzuki DF20 efi
MMSI Number: 123456789

Re: 430 on order!

Post by Martin » 07 Nov 2018, 11:58

Wow, great stuff- congratulations on your purchase 👏
I’ll be very interested in your review of the f-rib 430 , it really is a big old beast of a frib. :clappy
Out of curiosity, is the new craft going to be folded up and placed in a boot/trunk/van or will it be trailered ?

I’ve no experience of the coatings you mention but It’ll certainly make interesting reading if you do go ahead with it.

Martin :thumbsup
F-RibsAndSibs.Com.... :whistle
Because it's a big old WWworld out there :mrgreen:

Fly360

Post by Fly360 » 07 Nov 2018, 17:37

Yes it will be folded in the back of a Toyota pickup truck. I tow a 16 foot caravan so I’m unable to tow a boat trailer on camping trips. The 430 is definitely not going to be a lightweight setup but the additional space is necessary for our dipnet salmon fishing trips. The dipnets are 4-5 feet across and on a long pole that have to be pulled into the boat with a salmon thrashing around. Our limit of fish can easily weigh 100’s of pounds. Last year we used a 12 foot Portabote and it got the job done but left much to be desired. Here’s a pic of our last outing. The Portabote is a tough, lightweight little rig but it lacks stability in the fast river current on an outgoing tide.
Attachments
430B4686-2F5A-4A9C-A14F-8A626C75EC97.jpeg

warder54
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Mar 15 2 st
Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi

Post by warder54 » 09 Nov 2018, 09:09

Hi, great choice, I love my 360. The pic brings back memories of my 14ft Portabote, I had many hours of fun in it, both at sea and on the Lochs here in Scotland. The 3 chines formed by the folds created great straight line tracking - but - as you say when it gets lively the handling gets "interesting" I found that it would veer into a wave, counter steering made it worse and almost flipped me early on. I found the answer was to just let it find it's own track and all was fine.
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

Fly360

Post by Fly360 » 09 Nov 2018, 20:22

warder54 wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 09:09
Hi, great choice, I love my 360. The pic brings back memories of my 14ft Portabote, I had many hours of fun in it, both at sea and on the Lochs here in Scotland. The 3 chines formed by the folds created great straight line tracking - but - as you say when it gets lively the handling gets "interesting" I found that it would veer into a wave, counter steering made it worse and almost flipped me early on. I found the answer was to just let it find it's own track and all was fine.
That’s pretty much my experience with it too. The clincher for us was when we were heading upstream against the current and other boats’ wakes were overtaking us from behind. The boat was incredibly unstable and I had young kids onboard. Even on calm water I never felt like I could let go of the tiller for even a second.

Don’t get me wrong I still have my 12’ Portabote and like it for lakes and dragging onto rocky shores, but it has major limitations in currents. I wish the hull had more deadrise that could allow it to lean into the turn more. My FRIB 430 should excel in this area and should be here on Friday!

Return to “F-Rib”