Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Boat Make: Honwave T38 ie1
Outboard: Mariner Marathon 25hp
MMSI Number: 10

Re: Help required about trailer please

Post by Froglet » 10 Nov 2018, 17:43

solarsurfer wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 05:48
...Then we thought we would go out at North Norfolk at a little place Burnham Overy Staithe hopefully the weekend after. Here, some places at low tide, if you get caught up out at sea,, you can jump out the boat and push lol ! :thumbsup
I've been out at Burnham Overy Staithe a few times, but in my older, less capable boat. Never had a chance to try the T38 there yet. Would be very interesting to hear how you get on.

Regarding getting out and pushing, I have, to my shame, first hand experience of this at Burnham. Due to a bit of ill-advised experimentation with the handling of my old Intex Mariner 3 (basically a blow up toy to which I had optimistically attached a 6hp engine!) I managed to nearly capsize and succeeded in throwing myself out of the boat. Lifejacket and kill cord did their jobs admirably, although I did manage to stick my leg into the prop before it stopped. Just a few parallel scratches though. Could have been a lot worse. I swam towing the boat and it wasn't far to reach the edge of the creek. By the time I was 25 feet from the bank I could stand which made jumping back into the boat a doddle. :D

That was on a super high tide. On the lower tides you really will be walking. And getting intimate with the mud.

luckily didn't dent my appetite for little rubber boats. I'm just a bit more careful now.... mostly. ;-)

solarsurfer
Boat Make: Honwave T40
Outboard: Suzuki 20HP efi

Post by solarsurfer » 10 Nov 2018, 18:54

Thats really funny ! Apart from the leg stuff.

A mate of mine went fishing some years ago, (He is older than me, not many are) and the operator of the boat got "stuck", some miles offshore, the guy jumped overboard much to the amazement of the guys on board, and gave the boat a shove, and off they went !

True story !
God knows where the fish were !

harrison
Supporting Member
Boat Make: XS500, Bic Sportyak
Outboard: Mariner 60, Mariner 3.5, Honda 2.3

Post by harrison » 10 Nov 2018, 19:25

Hey solar,

Set up and ‘beast’ looking good.
Hope maiden voyage and running in go well - you’ll be up and planing after the first hour or so with the Suzuki, no problem. Have fun.

Just next door to Burnham, have fond memories of sailing based at Wells-Next-The-Sea as a kid. Spent all summer hols there as parents had a static van - magic. My first boat was a Minisail (pre Topper) and often crewed in a friends racing Flying Dutchman at Wells Sailing Club - scary. All that mud in the estuary and constantly shifting sand banks further out - great fun.

Back to sibbing, for optimum performance on our alumin floor Zodiac/Suzi 20 found best have AV plate set 10mm below keel. Needed a 20mm block of wood on top of transom to achieve this. Also ran trimmed out to keep AV plate parallel to water when on plane. Worth experimenting.
840BA2FC-6B4C-4584-BE61-A1333F49D552.jpeg
Zodiac/Suzuki AV set up

solarsurfer

Post by solarsurfer » 12 Nov 2018, 14:01

Cool !

We are having a change of plan due to tide times, low tides and mud galore in Norfolk, so after a bit of research we are going to Brightlingsea, Essex. Its got an all day launching window cus of hard sand, and a jetty to tie up too if we need it, but we should be able to drive on it all the while. Now we just need to find a decent trailer car parking lol.

We did try to find a local big pond, but they are all yachting stuckups, that will only let their own safety boat on the waters. 2 even do powerboat 2 courses, but you cant use a powerboat lol. Stewartby holds the F1 powerboat championships, but wont let powerboats on unless your skiing. :waterski

solarsurfer

Post by solarsurfer » 12 Nov 2018, 14:56

Back to sibbing, for optimum performance on our alumin floor Zodiac/Suzi 20 found best have AV plate set 10mm below keel. Needed a 20mm block of wood on top of transom to achieve this. Also ran trimmed out to keep AV plate parallel to water when on plane. Worth experimenting.
I can raise mine by about 1/2 an inch before the screws come out of the engine mount on the transom, which will mean its a bit closer.

Trim is on the first position, which is not far off being inwards but straight, if your saying it needs to go out at the bottom a bit more, then Ill reset this one click and see what happens. Its a bugger to adjust this on land, and I bet if I try it at sea, ill end up dropping the adjuster rod lol ! :thud

harrison
Supporting Member
Boat Make: XS500, Bic Sportyak
Outboard: Mariner 60, Mariner 3.5, Honda 2.3

Post by harrison » 12 Nov 2018, 16:28

If you can get a half inch packer in without compromising the clamp positioning, I'd go with that to start.

Transom angles vary slightly between boats, but we found running the Suzuki on the middle setting, 3 of 5, seemed to suit us best. Perhaps start there and see how it goes.

Yeah, best not adjust trim out at sea. Easier at shore in knee deep water.
:thumbsup
337D391B-28D3-4B98-9826-7E0C006195B2.jpeg

Return to “Honwave”