Chat about anything here (within reason) Please keep it polite and PC
Alan
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Boat Make: F-Rib 375
Outboard: 2018 Mercury 20 HP Short Shaft
MMSI Number: 1

Cold Weather Boating

Post by Alan » 19 Oct 2018, 14:12

Here on the Great Lakes in Michigan I am wintering my 20 hp Mercury this weekend and storing the F-Rib 375. I have total respect for all the boaters that go out in cool or colder weather. Personally, I have never been on my boat wearing more than a bathing suit and life vest. My concern this summer has been sunburn not temperature but I am thinking about looking into a Dry Suit for spring boating. While the weather will be cool, the insulation will be less important than splash protection. Any recommendations that don't require selling the house?

solarsurfer
Boat Make: Honwave T40
Outboard: Suzuki 20HP efi
MMSI Number: 10

Re: Cold Weather Boating

Post by solarsurfer » 19 Oct 2018, 14:41

Hi
Shame you dont live in Bedford, UK. As there is a guy that will custom make you one for £300. This means that whatever your shape, you get a custom one built. UK people can Google DAM Bedford ! :thumbsup

I intend to do a bit of Cod fishing, which means cold weather. If I pop over the side without a dry suit I aint gunna last very long in a floatation suit . A dry suit gives ya about 1.5 hours in a sea temp of about 4 degrees. :thud

9-R
Super Poster
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI

Post by 9-R » 19 Oct 2018, 16:28

I've been having similar thoughts. Even though I'm much more South than you, it still dips down for long enough for me to consider similar options.

Not so sure I'm worried as much about splash protection as I would with getting wet when launching or retrieving. Seems like no matter what I try and do, I wind up waste deep in the water. Guess fishing waders are the only option for that? Maybe that combined with a good rain coat would also solve splash protection?
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

warder54
Supporting Member
Boat Make: F-Rib 360 + Smartwave 480
Outboard: Mar 15 2 st
Yam 60 efi
Toh 5 4 st
Toh 20 efi

Post by warder54 » 20 Oct 2018, 08:51

Have a look at Trident UK. I have a custom breathable with extra pockets and pee zip, Cost under £300. It's very comfy and really does breathe well. 2 days on the water near Oban just over a week ago (10th & 11th) kept me cosy and dry with no condensation build up.
Why am I here - I should be in my boat fishing!!
Mike Elliott

solarsurfer
Boat Make: Honwave T40
Outboard: Suzuki 20HP efi

Post by solarsurfer » 21 Oct 2018, 11:09

Also a dry suit keeps the whole of ya body dry. Built in rubber socks in the suit means ya dry all over, so popping ya boat into the water means you stay dry. Just put some lightweight trainers on to protect the rubber feet (Latex)

If you go out wearing waders, and ya fall over, they just fill up with water, and wont help you get out !
These users thanked the author solarsurfer for the post:
9-R (22 Oct 2018, 11:58)

Sarah
Supporting Member

Post by Sarah » 31 Oct 2018, 15:14

And if you do look for a drysuit I would suggest one with a spray collar or hood and one with an external pocket (but remember if you've put your phone in an external pocket to remove it before you jump in the water - nearly an expensive mistake last week!)
Please feel free to ask questions about training & RYA qualifications, if you're not local we will try to point you in the right direction!
Dorset Marine Training, Poole www.dorsetmarinetraining.co.uk

ChrisParish
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Zodiac c310
Outboard: Mariner 5hp 2 stroke | Mariner 9.9hp Four Stroke
MMSI Number: 235916094

Post by ChrisParish » 01 Nov 2018, 09:59

Sarah wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 15:14
...remember if you've put your phone in an external pocket to remove it before you jump in the water - nearly an expensive mistake last week!)
I am so pleased that the later iPhones (7 onwards) are waterproof or I would have destroyed mine multiple times over this year! I dropped it out of my pocket on the boat and found it at the bottom of a two inch puddle down by the transom!
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
Sarah (06 Nov 2018, 13:34)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

Stray
Super Poster

Post by Stray » 06 Nov 2018, 13:32

Sarah wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 15:14
(but remember if you've put your phone in an external pocket to remove it before you jump in the water - nearly an expensive mistake last week!)
Done that, still got the bits somewhere.

As for cold weather boating, the F-Rib's been put away till the spring. The bit of North sea near me is not very inviting for small boat fishing over the winter, so I stick to fishing for Cod from the rocks.

harrison
Supporting Member
Boat Make: XS500, Bic Sportyak
Outboard: Mariner 60, Mariner 3.5, Honda 2.3

Post by harrison » 07 Nov 2018, 13:08

Stray wrote:
06 Nov 2018, 13:32

As for cold weather boating, the F-Rib's been put away till the spring. The bit of North sea near me is not very inviting for small boat fishing over the winter,
Yeah depressing. Just brought our boat back from 'up north' mainly as site closes over winter. Now cleaned, winterized and hibernating in a nice warm shed.

Although we're a long way from any water, I'll be keeping a watchful eye on any winter outings the southern large sib/little rib guys may be organizing. Would be a good excuse to dig boat out of hibernation and tag along. :thumbsup

Return to “General Chat”