Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Aerotec/Honwave/F-Rib - which one?

Ask current owners for advice before taking the plunge !
mm289
MMSI Number: 10

Aerotec/Honwave/F-Rib - which one?

Post by mm289 » 16 May 2018, 13:21

So, as mentioned in my intro, I am looking at buying my first SIB. Have lived by the coast forever and done some kayaking, sailing and cruising but never had my own boat, all been holidays and friends stuff.

We were looking at a 6-7m trailerable Pilothouse (Jeaneau/Parker/Quicksilver) initially as our first boat but having researched the SIBS they could do a lot of what I would initially do in the hard boat and be a lot easier on the transportation and the wallet until we get some sea miles under our belt :D

My research and reading a lot of all your posts on here leads me to a shortlist of the Aerotec/ Honwave Airfloor / or F-Rib but I just wanted to get some pro's and con's from the experiences on here before taking the plunge. My criteria (as far as I know them :roll: ) are:

Cost: up to circa £3k (i.e. not brand new) and also will need to purchase basic safety kit etc.
Usage: Close inshore on Kent coast for fishing and then holidays in Dorset and Argyle/Bute (seen to many of Gurnards' videos!! :lol: )
PoB: max persons on board will be 3, more often 2 up and occasional solo fishing trips.
Size: minimum is 3.2 upto 3.8 probably
O/B: Probably 10hp+, doesn't have to be uber fast but needs to be able to plane
Transportation: Will be in the back of a van/4x4 so transport isn't a problem. Will be launched by hand though (very few slipways in S Kent) so needs to be manageable hence airfloor not solid. Comfortable lifting 45kg (2 bags of sand) :thud but...... obviously lighter the better ;-)

So what else do you need to know? :D

Sort of questions I have on my mind are:
1. Size - will a 3.2m be a bit small for two of us to travel/fish in comfort? Is it worth going "large" for the bit extra weight?
2. Been a bit put off 2nd hand Honwaves by the problems with the air floor...... never having bought/used one before not sure I would be able to spot a problem one prior to purchase
3. What are the advantages of an aerotec over honwave (they generally seem to be more expensive)
4. Does the F-Rib design allow you to get away with a lighter/smaller engine because it planes better (solid floor)
5. Really dumb one here - do any of you find the lack of any seats with a back on them uncomfortable/tiring after a long session boating?

There you go - tried to cover everything I see asked on the various "which SIB" threads, but bound to have missed something :roll:

But if you could pile in with advice/thoughts/ideas that would be great :thumbsup

Cheers,

MM

Paul B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38ie2
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Re: Aerotec/Honwave/F-Rib - which one?

Post by Paul B » 16 May 2018, 13:31

Well I’m biased, but I would go for a Honwave T38, (air floor). Don’t be put off by some of the issues which has been posted up recently,

They are a really very capable little boat, and for 2 to 3 persons are ideal, I say the t38 rather than the T32 as the smaller boat whilst very good is quite a handful in slightly rougher waters and doesn’t ride the swell anywhere as good,

I’ve recently moved from a T32 to the T38 and it’s a completely different boat, in every aspect of how it handles the chop etc,

Engine wise I’d say go for minimum 10hp ideally 15hp, I use a 15 on my T38 and it gets along very well pushing over 20 knots

For your budget you could get a brand new hull and a decent second hand engine and have change for lots of goodies :thumbsup
These users thanked the author Paul B for the post:
Alimac (16 Aug 2018, 05:53)
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T38ie2 Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak

mm289

Post by mm289 » 16 May 2018, 13:56

Thanks Paul, that comparison between the T32 and T38 is really useful. Also the idea of a new one does take away the worry of the floor issue :thumbsup

Cheers,

MM

The Hobbit England
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38 IE2
Outboard: 1985 Yamaha 2 stroke 15 D
MMSI Number: 235904468

Post by The Hobbit » 16 May 2018, 16:27

mm289 wrote:Thanks Paul, that comparison between the T32 and T38 is really useful. Also the idea of a new one does take away the worry of the floor issue :thumbsup

Cheers,

MM
That said and I agree with Paul B with regards to size and engine size. I also run a T38 with a 15 two stroke and over 20 mph. Also, don't be put off by a second hand one as the few recent quality issues have all been with new / very recent versions. I bought my secondhand and have had no issues with it at all.
I'm not really a Hobbit, just look like one. Real name is "Andy".

All my movies in one place:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvarVX ... subscriber

rogerblack Great Britain
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T32ie airfloor
Outboard: Mercury 15hp 2-st
MMSI Number: 235913495

Post by rogerblack » 16 May 2018, 16:37

If you're mainly going to be heading out 2 or 3 handed, then there's no argument with the above advice.
However, if you're often going to launch solo, then it depends how fit and able you are.

I can just about manage my T32 and 15 HP 2-stroke Mariner; I certainly wouldn't manage anything bigger/heavier on my own unless it was on a trailer.
But then I'm an overweight, not very fit, nearly 63 year old. :shame
cheers
Roger

:fishing
“Teach a man to fish and he’ll turn around and try to teach you to fish like he invented it and you’re an idiot”

mm289

Post by mm289 » 16 May 2018, 18:59

Thanks guys. I am reasonable fit although in my mid 50's which "feels" old!! Used to humping bags of sand and cement for my building projects and tested out carrying 2xbags of 25kg so kinda happy with that although appreciate the size/shape is a lot different on a outboard/boat.

I am thinking most of the time we will be two up so with wheels or a trolley of some sort should be able to manage the ~45kg per item........

Cheers,

MM

mm289

Post by mm289 » 28 Jun 2018, 10:44

Just a quick note to say I bit the bullet and picked up Matt's F-Rib 330 and 15HP outfit last night :clappy

Really nice chap and outfit looks in very good condition. Now just need to start planning my first outing and getting my safety gear sorted!

Cheers,

MM
These users thanked the author mm289 for the post:
Shaun (28 Jun 2018, 11:50)

Paul B
Supporting Member
Boat Make: Honwave T38ie2
Outboard: Suzuki df9.9 (15hpconversion)

Post by Paul B » 28 Jun 2018, 12:49

Awesome mate, glad you’ve got sorted out, Matts set up was great and not used much either, happy boating days
Chief Cook and Bottle washer
TRALEE BAY FISH N CHIPS

Honwave T38ie2 Suzuki DF 9.9 (15hp) conversion
Scooter perception kayak
Gosea fishing kayak

Return to “Thinking Of Buying?”