Glueing things to honwave
-
Jakeyboy
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 247
- Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
- Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
- Outboard: Honda bf20
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: GIRVAN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 19 times
Glueing things to honwave
Ok guys ; almost about to take the plunge and order a bow canopy from excel boats for my t38 honwave and try and make it fit.Main thing worrying me is glueing fixing points to my honwave as i have never even glued a patch on yet , what are the most important things i need to know ?
-
Captain cod
- Veteran Member
- Posts: 373
- Joined: 24 Nov 2016, 21:51
- Boat Make: Humber
- Outboard: Mariner 40hp
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: Manchester
- Has thanked: 51 times
- Been thanked: 51 times
Re: Glueing things to honwave
I think the most important thing is to be patient and don't rush things. Take the piece you want to glue to the boat position it where you want it to go and draw around it. Then put masking tape around that area. Lightly sand the area you have masked off and the back of the part you are glueing on. Next clean both areas with solvent I use MEK but check the instructions that come with your 2 part glue. Then apply a thin layer of the 2 part glue to both parts and WAIT. Wait about 10 to 15 minutes until it is touch dry but don't touch it with your fingers because the oil from your fingers can affect the glue instead use the back of your knuckle. Once it is touch dry apply another thin layer to both surfaces and WAIT. Wait another 10 to 15 minutes again until touch dry. Next take to piece you are gluing to the boat and carefully position it onto the boat. You only get ONE shot at this because it is contact adhesive you are using. If you put it in the wrong place and pull it off to reposition. The glue will be messed up and you will have to start all over again. So like I said be carefull. Once you have it in place apply pressure frome the centre working your way to the edges trying to get any air bubbles out. Use a tool to apply pressure to the part. If I was glueing a patch I would use a roller that you use for wallpaper seams. Or on say a d ring I would use the end of a screwdriver handle. Keep applying pressure for about 2 minutes. Once you are done you can remove the masking tape and clean any excess glue with a little MEK. Try and leave it as long as possible till you deflate your boat. At least 24 hours but full strength should be acheved in 7 days. Also wait for a nice dry day and the HUMIDITY HAS TO BE BELOW 70% hope this helps. If you get stuck just ask and I'll try and answer asap
Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
- kaman
- Super Poster
- Posts: 846
- Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
- Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
- Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp - MMSI Number: 235114675
- Location: South West Scotland
- Has thanked: 25 times
- Been thanked: 135 times
Re: Glueing things to honwave
I'd say get yourself a 2nd hand sewing machine (about 30 quid on Gumtree ).
The most basic Singer machines from the 70s and 80s are practically indestructible.
Get some tarp, some tent poles (flexible type) and some string.
You could easily rustle something up in far less time than it takes the glue to cure.
I think your gonna struggle to make an excel dodger fit your Honwave.
I've got one that attaches to my seat on my 3.5ae and one Martin made for the T3.8 that attaches to the top of the tube via the grab line.
I'll happily PM you some pics if you feel creative
The most basic Singer machines from the 70s and 80s are practically indestructible.
Get some tarp, some tent poles (flexible type) and some string.
You could easily rustle something up in far less time than it takes the glue to cure.
I think your gonna struggle to make an excel dodger fit your Honwave.
I've got one that attaches to my seat on my 3.5ae and one Martin made for the T3.8 that attaches to the top of the tube via the grab line.
I'll happily PM you some pics if you feel creative
- The Gurnard
- Super Poster
- Posts: 817
- Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 09:30
- Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
- Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
- Location: West Coast Scotland
- Has thanked: 0
- Been thanked: 223 times
Re: Glueing things to honwave
The captain has the details spot on.
All I can add is its not as difficult as it sounds. I'm not sure its even as critical as the text books say either butt I could very well be wrong on that part.
I have glue many things over the years with the two part polymarine PVC glue and they have all been successful. Last item I glued was a raised rail round the front of my frib (Similar to your honwave grab rail) It stuck well despite the glue being out of date by a year..and it was a cold day when I did it outside. Its been on for two years now and its not going to fall off any time soon
All I can add is its not as difficult as it sounds. I'm not sure its even as critical as the text books say either butt I could very well be wrong on that part.
I have glue many things over the years with the two part polymarine PVC glue and they have all been successful. Last item I glued was a raised rail round the front of my frib (Similar to your honwave grab rail) It stuck well despite the glue being out of date by a year..and it was a cold day when I did it outside. Its been on for two years now and its not going to fall off any time soon
-
Jakeyboy
- Advanced Member
- Posts: 247
- Joined: 10 Sep 2017, 10:06
- Boat Make: Honwave t38 ie
- Outboard: Honda bf20
- MMSI Number: 10
- Location: GIRVAN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 19 times
Re: Glueing things to honwave
Thanks for the response guys ;captain cod that sounds a good clear way of doing things ; thanks
Kaman how come you think i will struggle with the excell dodger? I mailed the guy on e bay about the c pro ones and he advised they are more for the alloy floors;i was thinking the excels looked a bit pointier like the air floor honwaves especially the volante 390.i appreciate what your saying about making one but im never usualy happy with my results ; if someone else had made it fine bit if i make and its nothing less than perfect im not happy ;hence wanting to buy one ;i like the excel glue on fixings and reckon theres a good chance of getting them in the right place , saw on fitted to a t40 on ribnet and it looked a real good job
Kaman how come you think i will struggle with the excell dodger? I mailed the guy on e bay about the c pro ones and he advised they are more for the alloy floors;i was thinking the excels looked a bit pointier like the air floor honwaves especially the volante 390.i appreciate what your saying about making one but im never usualy happy with my results ; if someone else had made it fine bit if i make and its nothing less than perfect im not happy ;hence wanting to buy one ;i like the excel glue on fixings and reckon theres a good chance of getting them in the right place , saw on fitted to a t40 on ribnet and it looked a real good job


