What is this part called

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Post Reply
User avatar
komplexpro
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 03 Apr 2017, 12:48
Boat Make: Excel SD-330
Outboard: Mercury 9.9 4 st
MMSI Number: 235901944
Location: Stratford - East London
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

What is this part called

Post by komplexpro » 21 Apr 2017, 14:33

Hi,

can anyone tell me what this section (7,4 & 6 combined) is used for please?
The diagram is for a Mercury 9.9 4strk outboard.
Capture.PNG
Cheers

User avatar
The Gurnard
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 09:30
Boat Make: Quicksilver 4.3m HD
Outboard: Mariner 25HP two stroke : Mariner 3.3HP
Location: West Coast Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: What is this part called

Post by The Gurnard » 21 Apr 2017, 15:58

I think I know the answer ..as its the same in most OB's :D

Part 3 is the pin or shaft that goes through the clamp assembly and allows the outboard to tilt up and down

Part 4 are the nuts that screw onto the part 3 threads to hold it in place

Part 6 is a wee metal thingie .. no idea what is called..but its there so you can fix a lanyard to the outboard to stop it falling in the water if the clamps should come undone. You tie the other end of the lanyard to the boat.

Part 7 I can only presume is end caps to protect the thread of part 3 that goes through the clamps ?.I don't have them on my outboards

I have no idea what the real names are ..but that's why they are there. If ordering them..just quote the numbers and the diagram

Hope that helps..if not I'm sure someone else will know :D

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: What is this part called

Post by Andy B » 21 Apr 2017, 17:05

Part 3 is the pivot tube, which also hold the steering ram if you have the engine rigged for remote steering.
Part 7 are just cover nuts that are there to protect the threads when a steering cable isn't connected.
Attachments
image_164866.jpg

User avatar
komplexpro
I'm New
Posts: 20
Joined: 03 Apr 2017, 12:48
Boat Make: Excel SD-330
Outboard: Mercury 9.9 4 st
MMSI Number: 235901944
Location: Stratford - East London
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: What is this part called

Post by komplexpro » 24 Apr 2017, 09:27

Thank you both for the answers, :thumbsup

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”