Soft plastic lures

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Stray » 09 Feb 2016, 11:22

Being a cheapskate I bought Aberdeens and bent them myself. As I only use hooks once, any damage to the coating doesn't matter.
Just heat them up on a gas ring and bend using a couple of pairs of pliers, it's a bit of trial and error to get the bend in the right place for the size of jig. Also while heated you can turn the hook eye as well if you want.

This blokes about the cheapest on Fleabay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281905596756? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I use 6/0s for the biggest two jigheads, 5/0 and 4/0 for the smaller two, but play around and use what suits you best.

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by kaman » 09 Feb 2016, 16:33

Cheers Stray.
I'm going to go half and half with my old boy and make some assorted jig heads.
I'm sure the mould and modified hooks will pay their way in no time at all :cheers

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Stray » 09 Feb 2016, 17:30

Don't forget to get some googly eyes;

Image

I got mine from a local shop but there's plenty on that internet auction site.
These users thanked the author Stray for the post:
kaman (09 Feb 2016, 21:36)

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by kaman » 09 Feb 2016, 21:28

Dont suppose you got an eBay link to them googly eyes as well :P

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Stray » 09 Feb 2016, 22:50

No. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Andy B » 09 Feb 2016, 23:14

kaman wrote:Dont suppose you got an eBay link to them googly eyes as well :P
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... s&_sacat=0
Wasn't that hard, I typed "googly eyes" into the eBay search window ;-)

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by kaman » 10 Feb 2016, 02:04

I'll need to polish my internet search techniques.
My search for 'Large googly eyes' only came up with these :roll: .....

Screenshot_2016-02-10-01-55-09-1.png


As we're all well aware googly eyes come in all different sizes I just wanted to double check with Stray which ones fitted in the mould.
However I'm sure I could find a use for the googly eyes depicted above :rofl :rofl :whistle

Stray
Super Poster
Posts: 817
Joined: 10 Jun 2015, 10:52
Location: Oop North.
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Stray » 10 Feb 2016, 11:38

I bought a multi pack of them last year from a Boyes shop (don't know if you have them in your part of the world), they came in 3 different sizes and I only paid about a £1 for 3x100. The ones on Ebay look very expensive compared to that, unless you order from China. The size eye I use on the Jigheads is as near as I can tell 10mm.

After a quick look;
10mm UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200-x-10MM-RO ... c-xF3FHewA

10mm China
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200pcs-10mm-M ... SwDk5T~YSE

or 8mm (I doubt the fish will notice) UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiggly-Googly ... gdZhfXm5Aw

Hope this helps.

User avatar
kaman
Super Poster
Posts: 846
Joined: 05 Aug 2015, 23:01
Boat Make: Honwave 3.5a Honwave t3.8
Outboard: Tohatsu 20hp
Suzuki 2.5hp
Suzuki 2.2hp
MMSI Number: 235114675
Location: South West Scotland
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by kaman » 10 Feb 2016, 21:10

Stray your a star thanks very much for sharing.
My old man uses jig heads all the time for trolling.
They are ridiculously expensive now.
Using the mould will be much much cheaper ;-)

Andy B England
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1825
Joined: 03 Sep 2015, 17:10
Location: lost in space
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Soft plastic lures

Post by Andy B » 10 Feb 2016, 22:48

kaman wrote:My search for 'Large googly eyes' only came up with these :roll: .....
:o

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”