A whole new world I didn't know existed

Ask current owners for advice before taking the plunge !
knaus470 Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 22
Joined: 10 Jul 2019, 22:49
Location: Pennines
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: A whole new world I didn't know existed

Post by knaus470 » 11 Jul 2019, 18:19

ChrisParish wrote: ↑
11 Jul 2019, 18:01
It’s the engines which are the pricy bit. The boat is about £1200 new (and many dealers can beat that price). A brand new Suzuki (better than the Honda in my opinion) is about £2600 or a new Mariner/Mercury is around £2300.
I personally opted for new boat and second hand engine to get me started.

Thanks very much @ChrisParish -- so all things considered, £3k sounds like a good deal for a boat that's been launched 4 times

I guess I was wrong about it being over-priced

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: A whole new world I didn't know existed

Post by harrison » 11 Jul 2019, 18:24

Not really, no.

£3000 doesn’t sound like a killer deal for a two year old rig when the same boat and similar/better engine can be bought new for £3300-3400.
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

knaus470 Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 22
Joined: 10 Jul 2019, 22:49
Location: Pennines
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: A whole new world I didn't know existed

Post by knaus470 » 11 Jul 2019, 18:36

harrison wrote: ↑
11 Jul 2019, 18:24
Not really, no.

£3000 doesn’t sound like a killer deal for a two year old rig when the same boat and similar/better engine can be bought new for £3300-3400.
Hello @harrison - what boat / engine combo would you go for for this sort of money, and which vendors would you suggest

I should add that I wouldn't go straight in at £3k ..... I am half Scottish with a strong dose of Yorkshire blood in me too :) :)

User avatar
ChrisParish Great Britain
Supporting Member
Posts: 2049
Joined: 23 May 2018, 15:30
Boat Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Outboard: Suzuki DF20A
MMSI Number: 235916094
Location: Poole
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 636 times

Re: A whole new world I didn't know existed

Post by ChrisParish » 11 Jul 2019, 18:47

Just had a quick shuft as some prices.
All new

Excel Volaire: £1259
Mariner/Mercury 20efi: £2435
Itiwit pump: £40
Launch wheels: £100
Anchor Kit (2kg Bruce): £37
Life jacket (crewsaver) :£55

So that’s £3926 for a basic setup. Call it £4k.
Now you could get a second hand setup for £3k but you would be missing out on a lot of manufactures warentee and you only have their word that it has been launched 4 times.
I know £4k is 33% more than £3k so it is a lot more, but personally I would think that’s worth it for piece of mind.
I think a good second hand deal would start around £2.5k. Take a look in the adds on here and you will see what you can get for your money (even though they may be sold, it will give you an idea)
These users thanked the author ChrisParish for the post:
knaus470 (11 Jul 2019, 19:08)
Not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: A whole new world I didn't know existed

Post by harrison » 11 Jul 2019, 23:18

knaus470 wrote: ↑
11 Jul 2019, 18:36

Hello @harrison - what boat / engine combo would you go for for this sort of money, and which vendors would you suggest
Sorry it wasn’t a recommendation. My reply purely stated you could get the same boat and a better motor new for not a lot more. The figures weren’t plucked from thin air as in April this year I purchased a T38/Mariner 20 combo for £3300.

Struggling to recommend a suitable rig as at present don’t really know enough about how you wish to use your boat, what conditions you expect to go out in, what performance/speed are you after, how/where you’ll inflate/launch etc. etc. And not forgetting budget.

What I can say is there are many makes and different types of sib out there, many good ones, and definitely no such animal as the ultimate sib. All have their pros and cons.

If you asked on here, up until a few months ago, the stock answer would have been T38, T38, or T38. Now with recent quality issues it’s T38 ‘if you get a good one’ or an Excel Volaire 390...of which I’ve no on water experience.

The above may be fine if your definitely after an air floor boat, but with the dog an ally floored sib may also be an option to consider.

I would however recommend, for sea use, a minimum length of 3.6m or a bit longer. Generally, regardless of construction a longer boat will give a more comfortable/safer ride in typical UK chop and swell.
These users thanked the author harrison for the post:
knaus470 (11 Jul 2019, 23:47)
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

knaus470 Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 22
Joined: 10 Jul 2019, 22:49
Location: Pennines
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: A whole new world I didn't know existed

Post by knaus470 » 12 Jul 2019, 00:16

harrison wrote: ↑
11 Jul 2019, 23:18
knaus470 wrote: ↑
11 Jul 2019, 18:36

Hello @harrison - what boat / engine combo would you go for for this sort of money, and which vendors would you suggest
Sorry it wasn’t a recommendation. My reply purely stated you could get the same boat and a better motor new for not a lot more. The figures weren’t plucked from thin air as in April this year I purchased a T38/Mariner 20 combo for £3300.

Struggling to recommend a suitable rig as at present don’t really know enough about how you wish to use your boat, what conditions you expect to go out in, what performance/speed are you after, how/where you’ll inflate/launch etc. etc. And not forgetting budget.

What I can say is there are many makes and different types of sib out there, many good ones, and definitely no such animal as the ultimate sib. All have their pros and cons.

If you asked on here, up until a few months ago, the stock answer would have been T38, T38, or T38. Now with recent quality issues it’s T38 ‘if you get a good one’ or an Excel Volaire 390...of which I’ve no on water experience.

The above may be fine if your definitely after an air floor boat, but with the dog an ally floored sib may also be an option to consider.

I would however recommend, for sea use, a minimum length of 3.6m or a bit longer. Generally, regardless of construction a longer boat will give a more comfortable/safer ride in typical UK chop and swell.
Thank you for your kind reply @harrison

Usage wise will be two-fold

Primary use will be to enjoy the water with Ben-dog. This will be rivers, bays, lakes & fishing villages around the country. I don't want him to be scared so unless it's mill-pond clam we wont be going out to sea or onto a choppy coast, and it will all be daytime use

Minimal secondary use, if by myself &/or with other SIB users will be whatever we get up to. I got my RYA quals years ago & am competent at both helmsman, handling & navigation for Inshore Waters (up to 12 miles)

I've crossed the Channel & done mainland to IoW several times, mainly daytime but has included night crossing. I've also cruised extensively on west coast of Scotland (Dunoon, Greenock, Holy Loch, Gare Loch, Kyles of Bute, Isle of Arran, etc..)


I totally get what you're saying about a longer boat being more comfortable especially in chop or if the wind gets up a big, hence my interest in the 3.8m Honwave

I will inflate as close to the water as I can park, thats my plan anyway. Lift it out of the Hilux, inflate it, get me & Ben sorted, lock the Hilux & head out in the boat. Not looking at making it complicated

Speed wise, once Ben gets comfortable with it all, then basically just enough to play. If he's having a nervous day, we'll just be chugging about.

If I'm with my brother & niece, if it can plane & tow a skier, then great

Happy to look at an ally floor, provided it doesn't overly complicate launching, but I really like the idea of 'just air' for ease of prep & take down.

The Honwave I am interested in is up at £3k ..... admittedly, that's not what'll get offered. But anything around this budget is fine. Really not looking to borrow to buy what is in essence, a toy - albeit a toy that'll get used a lot

We already have PFD's, flares, portable sat comms, foul weather gear. About the only accessories I'd look to get would be launching wheels, a bow spray hood, a bimini (for rain not sun) and a rear A-frame for nav & general lights

Hope this answers some of your queries and thank you for taking the time & interest to wish to help with advice & guidance.

It is very appreciated

Goon England
Newish Member, But I Like It Here
Posts: 26
Joined: 23 Jun 2019, 17:30
Boat Make: Excel vanguard 335
Outboard: Suzuki 15hp s
MMSI Number: 10
Location: Derby
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: A whole new world I didn't know existed

Post by Goon » 12 Jul 2019, 08:02

As newbie myself. We looked at some second hand rigs. Online and in person but in the end me and the Mrs thought it was so much more worth getting new for the peace of mind like you have said. Warranty etc. Condition. For us it wasn't worth the chance of getting any problems. Like has already been said not much different in price.

Its a new hobby for us. So a new boat to start our adventures is our way of thinking. Money isn't everything when your in the sea putting your trust in a boat to get you home. Im not saying anyone selling second hand is hiding anything we just wanted to make sure :thumbsup

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: A whole new world I didn't know existed

Post by harrison » 12 Jul 2019, 15:02

Thanks for the info @knaus470, a much better idea of what would suit now.

To be honest, with all your wealth of experience you are probably in a much better position than us lot on here to decide what will be a suitable craft for your needs.

Bearing in mind you want an air floor and something capable of pulling skiers then your initial choice of a T38 and 20hp motor is pretty much spot on. A T38, albeit one with a decent hull, should do everything you need as they handle well, provide a sporty but relatively comfortable ride in chop, quick, light, fast and easy to inflate/deploy, and good value for money. They also tend to hold their value well on the secondhand market.

The two year old secondhand one you mentioned, particularly if genuinely hardly used, might well be a good buy if a cheeky offer of around £2600-£2700 were to be accepted. :thumbsup

With regard 20hp motors, if going secondhand, bear in mind the previous generation carburettor models were a fair bit heavier at around 52kg compared to the latest generation efi motors which come in at around a poultry 44kg. For myself those few extra kilos makes a huge difference man handling these cumbersome lumps on and off transoms. Although the good news is the Honda 20 on the boat you mentioned was not too bad at 46/47kg (still carb though).

Good luck in your quest. :thumbsup

PS: Check the hull on any secondhand (or new) T38 you’re considering.
These users thanked the author harrison for the post:
knaus470 (12 Jul 2019, 16:24)
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

knaus470 Great Britain
I'm New
Posts: 22
Joined: 10 Jul 2019, 22:49
Location: Pennines
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: A whole new world I didn't know existed

Post by knaus470 » 12 Jul 2019, 16:45

Hello again @harrison ,

Yes, I've got experience with boats, everything from that as listed including boating the Norfolk Broads, Thames, Ouse and even building my own canoe

But I've absolutely ZERO experience when it comes to inflatable craft -- so I'm more than happy to take whatever guidance I can find from those with more experience in this type of craft

I've been back to have another look at the boat I'm interested in and specifically to find out what comes with it

It's pretty much everything including the proverbial kitchen sink ! 2 pumps (elec & manual) 2 anchors complete with chain & warp (both unused), a round floaty toy thing, wakeboard, ski lines, oars, launching wheels, 2 fuel tanks, a bow cover, under bench storage, collapsible boat hook, tiller extension even a drogue anchor

I've seen all the paperwork from original purchase (May 2016) for a T38ie with Honda BF 20 and all accessories, incl VAT to £ 5460.00

So this kinda prompts the question : when did the "quality control" issues start with Honwave ? Have they always been there, or is this boat likely to pre-date the quality issues I've read so much about on here

@ChrisParish - found you video's on YouTube - very interesting to watch !

In fact I've watched quite a lot of sib/frib stuff now

Those catamarams look interesting too - I just kinda feel more comfortable with a proper 'bow'

Nonetheless, still very excited learning about all this stuff !

User avatar
harrison Great Britain
Mega Poster, I Really Need To Get Out More !
Posts: 1846
Joined: 18 Mar 2015, 17:14
Boat Make: XS500/Merc340/Elling/Bic
Outboard: Mariner60,20,3.5,Tohatsu9.8,Hon2.3,ThrustMe Kicker
Location: Midlands & Up North
Has thanked: 284 times
Been thanked: 746 times

Re: A whole new world I didn't know existed

Post by harrison » 12 Jul 2019, 17:16

knaus470 wrote: ↑
12 Jul 2019, 16:45


I've been back to have another look at the boat I'm interested in and specifically to find out what comes with it

It's pretty much everything including the proverbial kitchen sink ! 2 pumps (elec & manual) 2 anchors complete with chain & warp (both unused), a round floaty toy thing, wakeboard, ski lines, oars, launching wheels, 2 fuel tanks, a bow cover, under bench storage, collapsible boat hook, tiller extension even a drogue anchor

Ah well, if it includes all that kit, and assuming all that kit is of use to you, then yes it is better value than we first advised.

Re hull quality... if in doubt, take lots of piccies. Pretty sure the collective here will be able to advise. Fingers crossed.

The keel on mine is slightly asymmetric towards the bow and I’ve formally rejected it with Honda on aesthetic grounds. Not convinced this has any detrimental effects on performance though. To be honest I’ve a horrible feeling that nearly all new T38’s will come with varying degrees of asymmetry, and most owners will neither know nor care.
harrison

'The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves'

Post Reply

Return to “Thinking Of Buying?”