Launch wheels advice

Sib,Frib & Rib modifications.
Share your mods with the forum
User avatar
9-R Republic of Texas
Super Poster
Posts: 932
Joined: 12 Feb 2016, 13:56
Boat Make: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Outboard: Mercury 90hp EFI
Location: The Republic of Texas
Has thanked: 204 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Launch wheels advice

Post by 9-R » 23 Jan 2018, 15:47

Always seems to be such a huge variation on these which is why I'm sure you are asking. It so much depends on what you plan to do with your boat and the way you will launch. Because of that, I couldn't find one that fit my bill so I made my own out of aluminum tube and aluminum channel. Position held with a snap pin and safety string. Didn't need to use them over anything rougher than deeply grooved concrete at the boat ramp so used 10-inch pneumatic tires.

Mine were tall enough to clear the engine in the down position for several reasons;
- with the engine down, balanced engine and boat weight over the wheels which made lifting the front easier. Very important with a 460+ size boat.
- dry launched the boat off of a trailer and needed the wheels taller to pick up the weight quickly after sliding it off of the bunks.
- used the wheels in the down position to protect the engine leg some when traversing shallow water, around boulders or other projections.
- allowed us to keep the engine in the down position when coming ashore to maintain control longer.

I had wished I was able to make legs that angled the wheels under the transom or boat more to help balance the weight better but it was beyond my skills.
These users thanked the author 9-R for the post:
Cliff (24 Jan 2018, 11:18)
Wrote a note said, 'back in a minute'. Bought a boat and I sailed off in it.

Post Reply

Return to “DIY & Modifications”